3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Alex hawk 11.11.21 10:14 pm

Error after disabling the swap file (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Has anyone encountered such a problem? I have 8 gigabytes of RAM. Having disabled the swap file, almost immediately after the start of the game I see an error (screenshot below), but the most interesting thing is that 6 gigabytes are not occupied at the same time - this is the first. And the second - I can not touch the error and just expand the game and continue playing. What could be the reason for the "pseudo-lack of memory"? The situation is similar with many new games, for example GTA 5.
Screenshots

35 Comments
Sort by:
W
WLAS375 11.11.21

The same thing sometimes pops up, I sin on Windows 10.

D
Danil Zotov 11.11.21

because you climb where it is not necessary, then in setting up the video card you change what you yourself do not know, then the swap file, the swap file, why include for 8 GB of RAM? I also have 8 GB flies and GTA and the Witcher and others, so the problem is in the RAM, it shows 8 GB and only 4 works, this is not due to compatibility, 1 needs to have a 64-bit operating system, 2 maybe RAM strips from different manufacturers , there is no compatibility, draw conclusions because 8 GB will not show this

G
GG4 11.11.21

Alex Hawk
And what does the paging file interfere with you, why disable it?

S
Stribogg 11.11.21

Alex Hawk
You need to go read the Internet about the paging file. What does the Witcher 3 have to do with it ??? Disable it, and try to open many tabs in the browser, for example, or run Photoshop .. And the system will also write to you that there is not enough memory. too lazy here to spread the educational program, if necessary, you will read yourself in the net a million sites about it.

D
Den4ikRZK 11.11.21

Alex Hawk
A similar error got out on win 10 (there was no such error on 7), it was decided by disabling indexing on the system disk, the paging file is on by default.

h
hoursdragon 11.11.21

Alex Hawk
"... After disabling the swap file, almost immediately after the start of the game I see an error ..."
Hello, we arrived ... everything is gone, no memory. " So don't be humpbacked, return the swap file with a minimum value of 8192 and a maximum value of 16384 and you will be happy.

B
BarackKamacho 11.11.21

I don't see the problem as such

A
Alex hawk 11.11.21

Danil Zotov
In the settings of the video card, I have everything in order (and what is the connection in general?), As far as I understand, even for 8 gigabytes it is needed and the problem with the game itself (judging by the comments below), you have both "flies" because that by default the paging file is enabled (but you don't "climb" - you don't know), 8 gigabytes works (I advise you not to make hasty conclusions about users), 4 bars of 2 gigabytes each (Samsung).
Stribogg
RAM, as I said, is completely intact. I tested it, and not only by opening tabs - everything is smooth.
Den4ikRZK
Are you talking about this? (screenshot). At the same time, you do not have an error "without" the paging file, or is it set to "auto"? Hoursdragon
screenshot

Thank you, but the "auto" from the system will also be fine. Someone says that it is better to set the values ​​manually, but I did not notice any difference (I tested the car and manually entered the values).
BarackKamacho
Eggplant, eggplant. Thanks Cap =)

_
__DOC__ 11.11.21

hoursdragon
... even at 16 gigs, without a swap file, the Witcher gives out "screams" that "everything is gone, no memory."
I have disabled the paging file and never gave anything like this, everything works fine.

C
CRASHBULLET 11.11.21

Put in a swap file of your choice and live in peace.

d
djjack 11.11.21

__DOC__
Similarly, the swap was cut off 7 years ago and forgot that it is.

K
KIBERMAX 11.11.21

I do not advise turning off the paging file, otherwise bad things will not happen to your computer right away, but it will happen.

V
Vedge_Antilles 11.11.21

In fact, the paging file is a "continuation" of the computer's RAM. All programs running on a computer take up some amount of RAM: some require very little memory, and some require a substantial amount of it.

If you run applications that need a lot of memory at the same time, it may not be enough. In such cases, virtual memory is used: Windows "transfers" inactive applications from RAM to the paging file.

Many of you will be outraged that working with a hard disk is slower than with RAM, they will say that you cannot do this, but everything is in order, nothing criminal has happened: when using a previously inactive program, data about it will first move back to RAM , and only then the program will be executed further. This operation is essential for all operating systems.
Initially, the size of the paging file depends on the tasks that the computer is performing, but this is not the only parameter that affects its size. Also, the amount depends on the installed RAM in the computer.

Now RAM has become cheaper, and many can boast of at least four or eight gigabytes of RAM. Today, the role of the paging file is not as significant as it used to be, when the computer had 512 megabytes of memory, but we still talk about it - after all, not everyone has a large amount of RAM on their computers.

The size of the paging file should not be set too large, since there is a threshold after which the paging file simply takes up extra space on the hard disk, and does not increase the speed of the computer.

For example, if you are still using applications written under DOS, then it is advisable to make the paging file larger, since DOS applications often have to use a large amount of RAM.

It is best to place the swap file on a fast hard disk (solid-state media is ideal for this task). If the hard disk is divided into several partitions, but the paging file is best placed on the first.

Historically, the Win9x / ME family made extensive use of the paging file, thus unloading RAM (which was expensive in those days). Also, computer hard drives were expensive and small.

In this regard, Microsoft made the paging file dynamic (the file size increases as Windows itself needs, and does not occupy a large amount of space all the time), but you can make the file take up a static volume - in this case, the system will work faster with it due to the fact that you do not have to constantly change the size of this file, and there will be no fragmentation on the disk.

Many people recommend that the paging file size is equal to the amount of RAM. Nobody can tell you the exact size. Everyone acts at their own discretion. If the system has 512 megabytes of RAM, then the swap file must be at least the size of a gigabyte. This will provide the best performance for everyday tasks.

If the amount of memory is more than a gigabyte, the paging size should be set equal to 1.5-2 times the size of the RAM. But there is an option when the paging file may not be used so much: for example, a computer with eight gigabytes of RAM. The paging file size is usually gigabytes, maximum two.

A
Alex hawk 11.11.21

Vedge_Antilles
Thanks of course, but if I wanted to know what a swap file is, I would google it, but I have been familiar with this for a long time. I do not understand the nature of crashes from the game, despite the fact that there is enough RAM. As mentioned above, this is a defect in the game itself. If so, then we can forget about this business, but if I also see a solution, it will be even better.

J
Joker_ha_ha_ha 11.11.21

Previously, I also turned off the paging file, I thought 8 GB would be enough, in fact, even just sitting in a browser with a bunch of tabs, a message about lack of memory flashed out, in games, too, constantly, after reading information on various forums, I installed a paging file of the same volume as the RAM itself , there are no problems.

S
Stribogg 11.11.21

Alex Hawk
Eprst, but how many has already been said everywhere on this topic, SMALL 8 gig to remove the swap !!! Googled-googled but did not google to see ...

A
Alex hawk 11.11.21

Marcus_Fenix ​​Did
n't come across this. I specially opened a bunch of YouTube videos and until the memory reached 7.5-7.6 everything was within normal limits.
Stribogg
Not enough for the game, you wanted to say. I repeat that this is an "exceptionally exceptional" problem. Therefore, the topic was created directly in the game forum.

S
Stribogg 11.11.21

Alex Hawk
Query in Google for a memory shortage message when the paging file is turned off 20,000 pages. What does the witcher 3 have to do with it?
https://www.google.ru/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=%D1%81%D0%BE%D0%BE%D0%B1%D1%89 % D0% B5% D0% BD% D0% B8% D1% 8F +% D0% BE +% D0% BD% D0% B5% D1% 85% D0% B2% D0% B0% D1% 82% D0% BA% D0 % B5 +% D0% BF% D0% B0% D0% BC% D1% 8F% D1% 82% D0% B8 +% D0% BF% D1% 80% D0% B8 +% D0% BE% D1% 82% D0% BA % D0% BB% D1% 8E% D1% 87% D0% B5% D0% BD% D0% B8% D0% B8 +% D1% 84% D0% B0% D0% B9% D0% BB% D0% B0 +% D0 % BF% D0% BE% D0% B4% D0% BA% D0% B0% D1% 87% D0% BA% D0% B8

A
Alex hawk 11.11.21

Stribogg
I have already answered this question.

D
Den4ikRZK 11.11.21

Alex Hawk wrote:
6 gigabytes is not occupied - this is the first,
well, with 8GB of RAM, you have too much free space when playing, did you mess up anything?
Yes, the paging file on the car is worth it, I removed the indexing checkbox, since the process "system and compressed memory" in win 10 also hawked not badly.