3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21 02:08 am

Localization (Fallout 4)

Maybe I didn’t notice it, but maybe it didn’t, I decided to create a topic for discussing localization. Or rather, loHalization.

I think it's not worth talking about such masterpieces as "Lead Riser" and "Baseball Cue Ball".
And also errors in quests are very pleasing: I think many have already encountered the quest "Collect the technical documentation from the proctor Quinlan", which actually asks not to "take it from the proctor", but "bring the proctor."
And what about the inexplicable transformation of an agent by name (or callsign) Deacon (Deacon in the original) into a priest Deacon (yes, now they throw slippers at me because I "don't know" that Deacon is translated as Deacon, but there is another option translation as "to cheat", and given its nature to lie to some events and facts,
What kind of loHalization errors did you find?
73 Comments
Sort by:
D
DemonTwR 19.11.21

_DooM_
So what do you say? America? S American English?
And This Aspect is applicable to any other language of the world. If we Russians do not take care of our language, we will become like the Seal of the United States Virgin American Virgin Islands! ! !

_
_DooM_ 19.11.21

DemonTwR
Literacy is dying out not because omerica is planting something there, but because people do not want to be literate.

K
Karikaturra 19.11.21

DemonTwR
Do You Have There That Invisible Points Are Everywhere?

D
DemonTwR 19.11.21

_DooM_ If People having received 1 or 2 Higher education in the Russian Federation Let's say they cannot find a well-paid job in their Specialty (of what they graduated from) by the age of 21 - 25 and they have to work where their knowledge and skills are not required. This is forgotten. Fact.
So if in the Russian Federation almost the entire population is forced to, then what kind of literacy are you talking about ??? It's easy to say, probably having left for Warm Pindossia ___

_
_DooM_ 19.11.21

DemonTwR
Everything is clear with you.

K
Karikaturra 19.11.21

DemonTwR
If you follow your logic, then everyone who can write more or less competently works as teachers of the Russian language.

a
alex333555 19.11.21

Translation sucks. Empty bottles are called "whiskey bottle" instead of "whiskey bottle". There are plenty of such small ones. It looks like they were stupidly translated lines without understanding the context

D
DemonTwR 19.11.21

alex333555
And For the translation they received several Tens of thousands of people Someone in the form of a Salary ... Sad

V
Verzor 19.11.21

FOSTER_ok
"riser" is "riser"
How would you translate "lead pipe"?
And what is a riser can be found at CombineHans (above). Generally speaking, a riser is a (sewer) riser.

V
Vanya Rygalov 19.11.21

Every booger fancies himself an expert on English language language. Fucking aesthetes got drunk!
In general, what the hell is the translation to you, if the Russian speech turns you back on?

F
FOSTER_ok 19.11.21

Sonic778
And if you look at the item itself? It's not a pipe; this is exactly the "riser".

S
Suurnoo 19.11.21

I was surprised by the translation of the name of the mask for the dog spiked muzzle, I did not immediately understand that it was a muzzle)

V
Verzor 19.11.21

FOSTER_ok
Why suddenly? An ordinary piece of pipe, just some kind of fitting is screwed on the end. A stand is generally not so much a pipe as a structure. "Any vertical pipeline is called a riser"
Source http://www.bibliotekar.ru/spravochnik-141-vodootvedenie/15.htm - very authoritative book

Vanya Rygalov
Less pathos. If the claims were unfounded or petty - that's okay, but this is not so and there are a lot of examples ...

m
m0xf 19.11.21

"Network scanner" was translated as "virus"
"Alien" as "alien" (in fact, there was a text about aliens there)

F
FOSTER_ok 19.11.21

m0xf
Are you so young that you don't know how the "Alien = alien" bond came about?

L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21

m0xf
"Network scanner" was translated as "virus"
Well, in terms of meaning, the program fits the definition of "virus". Although it is not clear why "Network Scanner" or "Network Scanner" did not like the translators and they decided to be creative.
"Alien" as "alien" (in fact, there was a text about the aliens)
So everything is correct, such a translation has already been established, at least since the 80s, when the well-known film "Alien" was released ("Alien" in the original).

KroRex
Well, it's clear, then everything is logical. Something didn’t think about it. Apparently from there the feet of the "Baseball Cue Ball" also grow. But could then be translated as "Piece of pipe", any better than "Furious lead riser" xD

K
KroRex 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
"Furious Trumpet Piece" is better? In my opinion, the problem here is in "Furious", because everything sounds stupid with him, whether it's a riser or a pipe.

T
TTG 19.11.21

Lead riser
Worthy.

E
EvgenyDMT 19.11.21

Yes, indeed, the "lead riser" is somehow strange, the "stone riser" I still understand, but lead ..

_
_DooM_ 19.11.21

people with a machine gun.
The CIS countries do not like this color.