3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21 02:08 am

Localization (Fallout 4)

Maybe I didn’t notice it, but maybe it didn’t, I decided to create a topic for discussing localization. Or rather, loHalization.

I think it's not worth talking about such masterpieces as "Lead Riser" and "Baseball Cue Ball".
And also errors in quests are very pleasing: I think many have already encountered the quest "Collect the technical documentation from the proctor Quinlan", which actually asks not to "take it from the proctor", but "bring the proctor."
And what about the inexplicable transformation of an agent by name (or callsign) Deacon (Deacon in the original) into a priest Deacon (yes, now they throw slippers at me because I "don't know" that Deacon is translated as Deacon, but there is another option translation as "to cheat", and given its nature to lie to some events and facts,
What kind of loHalization errors did you find?
73 Comments
Sort by:
p
people with a machine gun 19.11.21

_DooM_
I understand what you are for, but this is already a damn, clinic!
If someone is offended by such a nickname, then you have to go to Grandpa Freud.

D
DemonTwR 19.11.21

people with a machine gun.
Yes, it also Dicko Drops me out.
But the most offensive thing is that the People who do it receive for it from 20 to 50 thousand, if not more.
For Such Money, So Distort The Meaning Apparently Hire Students

L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21

By the way, I also noticed a discrepancy - one character in different games is named differently. Of course, this is McCready, who was called McCready in FO3.

_
_DooM_ 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
And also Zimmer, who is called Zimmer in this game. Well, in the third part, he was looking for an android, and in this game he is mentioned only in the notes on the computer.

G
Gygych 19.11.21

KroRex
By the way, yes. In English scripture, there is no gender division for things. Gender refers only to Humans (?). And this time the localizers just

got out as they could tolkus
I urged on your comment about drugs and "Oh" ...

v
vzglydizugla 19.11.21

The most interesting thing is that the "lead riser" is "lead", what idiot makes pipes out of lead? (this is at least harmful). For me, the name "lead pipe" or "lead rod" would be more correct.
ps the literal translation of a word is not always correct in meaning, so there are times when it is more correct to write a gag.

L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21

By the way, mistakes were found on the wiki too:

Walking cane - incorrect translation. The correct option is "Cane".
Museum of Witchcraft - there is no mention of the city of Salem in the original, in addition, a more correct translation would be "Museum of Witchcraft / Black Magic".
"The Railroad" is an erroneous name for the "Underground Railroad" organization that actually existed in the United States. The reason was a widespread incorrect translation of the word English. Underground, that is, underground, as "underground".
Silver (English Silver) - since we are talking about the name of a specific metal, the correct option is “Silver”.
Sturges - incorrect transcription. The correct option is Sturges.

w
warp 37 19.11.21

Yes, localization is a complete trash, and even with typos. Thank you even for the fact that this whole thing was not announced. Fallout 3 and New Vegas did a much better job of translating.

V
Vanya Rygalov 19.11.21

... SoftKlab is "creative" again.
SoftKlab pretends to translate. Well, we, gamers, also pretend to buy, what they are ... heh. heh ... translate.

v
valegorr 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
"SoftKlab" is not a localizer of the game, but only a distributor. Localization was done by Bethesda.

L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21

valegorr
Spoiler

v
valegorr 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
Spoiler
http://gamebomb.ru/gbnews/13146

http://forum.softclub.ru/index.php?/topic/38959-%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BA%D0%B0% D0% BB% D0% B8% D0% B7% D0% B0% D1% 86% D0% B8% D1% 8F-% D0% B8% D0% B3% D1% 80% D1% 8B-fallout-4 /

http : //forum.softclub.ru/index.php? / topic / 38794-fallout-4 / page__st__60

L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21

valegorr
Well then, all the more minus Softclab, for entrusting the translation to the Americans, but they themselves released everything ready and did not even check the translation, although they proudly call themselves "localizers".

v
valegorr 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
Here, rather, Bethesda did not even ask the opinion of the Softclab. Sell ​​but don’t like it? We will give it to another distributor.
Moreover, this trend does not come from our sellers, but from the publishers. Here is what EA Russia CEO Tony Watkins had to say on this topic:
- By the way, about localization. Why has it recently become fashionable to translate the game only with subtitles, and not with a voice?
- This is not the case with all games. We have FIFA coming out with full localization, Battlefield, and some others. All our projects that definitely require voice dubbing will come out with it. We should also say about the RPG. We're getting tons of requests from players to keep the original voice acting and only subtitle it. It's primarily about Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Why do players want to hear the original speech? Probably, the point is especially the role-playing games. There is a high degree of immersion in the world, and the ease of reading subtitles without distraction from the twists and turns of the plot. Perhaps players think that other voices will destroy the integrity of the game experience.

L
Lou Tenant 19.11.21

valegorr
Well, I also do not mind some subtitles. The voice acting of the first Mass Effect was enough for 10 years to come. You still need to be able to sound so mediocre.

v
valegorr 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
So it was unofficial voice acting. I have a license and only subtitles.
Although I understand intellectually that if the situation changes, it will not be soon, but every time I am outraged by the credits. Well, what kind of involvement can we talk about if you don't have time to read part of the text, and part is completely absent. During the trip with the paladin Danse to Arcjet - he honestly tells a story. Dutni are climbing on the right, super mutants on the left. While they fought back, a piece of text just fell out. what the hell is on the radio - it's not clear, but I want to find out. And there are a lot of such examples. So I'm in favor of full dubbing.
By the way, in the original English voice acting ME: 1, there are also a lot of jambs, up to the rustle of turned pages. Therefore, they also do not need to be idealized.

K
Katyushka 19.11.21

valegorr
This is just an excuse and nothing more. At first, they stopped dubbing, then they will write that, at the request of the mass of players, they add a bunch of errors to the subtitles, and so on. More than one sane person will not give up the Russian voice acting in RPG, because it is the understanding of the surrounding background, so to speak, that gives that very immersion in the atmosphere. What kind of immersion are we talking about, if you constantly have to stop or even run back in order to have time to read the subs, and in many cases they are not there at all. You see, the translators did not find it necessary to translate the background, often the subtitles come out of what the partners are trending, and not the non-writing with the quest, the non-writing pushes the important speech, and the subtitles of the fucking strong are displayed on the screen, etc. Even if there is a monophonic, nasal translation with a Caucasian-Ukrainian accent, it will be 100 times better than Pendors' super-duper actors.

v
valegorr 19.11.21

Katyushka
Well, since there is a certain percentage of letters on this topic, this is just a convenient excuse. Developers / localizers are not idiots either - if it is profitable for them to sell a completely duplicated game, they will do it. Now count up - how many people bought the game, and how many downloaded from the torrent. And how many people signed Bethesde's petition demanding to voice the game - at the moment it is thirty-five thousand people and this is not a week, not a month, but six months. So why should they try? That's when our players will generally buy games for sixty euros like in Italy, and not for thirty-five dollars like ours, use less freebies from a torrent and sign petitions for 35 thousand a week, then the situation will change.

T
Terminator Sidor 19.11.21

Lou Tenant
Translation must be given its due, is magnificent in its masterpiece. It remains to find out from which end the dog is looking for a barrel) Or not from the dog)
Spoiler

K
Katyushka 19.11.21

valegorr
I do not understand, you urge to buy more in order to improve the quality of the product? O_O Some kind of distorted logic, isn't it? Maybe, on the contrary, it is necessary to stop buying semi-finished products, maybe then they will supply high-quality goods to Russia, and not raw crafts with the words "and so they eat." It is stupid to prohibit games without full dubbing at the legislative level! Soon the films will go without voice acting, but only with crooked subwoofers, but what? Hear original voices of the actors and read subtitles.