3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
x
xDDGx 21.11.21 09:38 pm

Half-Life 2 is completely gone v. 7 (Half-Life 2)

This topic is just a continuation of the series of topics "From half the roof goes :)", and that is why there is a number 7 in the title. Sorry for breaking traditions, but at this not the best time in the history of the HL2 forum, I decided that it was worth opening it just like that. You can find the previous parts of the topic on the links in the spoiler below:
From half the roof goes
                                                                        Part one

Part two

Part three

Part four

Part Five

Part Six
For convenience, here will be located links to the latest versions of screensavers based on Half-Life.

= Based on the first Half-Life =

You can download the latest build from the links below: the splash screen is distributed in parts. ss_base - base part, sw_patch - enables Software-mode support, map_ * - maps. There are three maps available so far. map_mrvalve is the edited map of the Valves (cut from the game intro), map_xenbox and map_minimalism are my works, converted into a "splash view". Spoiler screenshots below. Download

links:

ss_base (3.62 Mb)
sw_patch (1.52 Mb)
map_mrvalve (3.68 Mb)
map_xenbox (2.70 Mb)
map_minimalism (1.49 Mb) Follow the

links not just pictures, but * .7z.png - save them to disk and open with WinRAR or 7-zip. To make the splash screen active, right-click on the .scr file (if you don’t know which one you need, use gl_fullscreen.scr) and select “install” from the menu. The screensaver will start immediately. To exit it, use the SPACE, TAB, F12 keys or left-click. You can configure the keys in userconfig.cfg. The map is loaded from autoexec.cfg, edit this file to change the map.

Screenshots of maps
ss_valve

ss_xenbox

ss_minimalism

= based on half-life 2 old unpacked =

Like the first, this screensaver is distributed in parts. ss_base is the base engine, and two maps - one based on the back-end from Portal, and the second from HL2 itself.

ss_base (6 Mb)
map_background2 (3 Mb)
map_background05 (5.5 Mb)

Installation is similar to the first one. Hotkeys and graphics are configured in autoexec.cfg, if you have a weak video card, because of which the splash screen slows down, correct them in this file (all settings are commented), or remove them altogether and adjust the graphics manually from the settings menu. Also recommend to enable vertical sync, mat_vsync 1 (forgot to fix it before packing). You can also make the picture black and white (roll the mouse wheel or change mat_hsv to 1 in autoexec.cfg). Loading maps is registered in mapload.cfg.
Map screenshots

= old post =

Since no one has yet opened a new part, I decided to do it myself - especially since I have not opened any. And who would not do this, if not the most crazy user of the forum, who picked up the game as best he could, unearthed hundreds of secrets and wrote an over 100,500 letters on it - both technical and creative content?))
It is worth noting other people turned on Half members of the forum:

Tupas, together with me, went to such a degree of madness that he saws the smallest playable half (I hope we will continue these developments in the new part of the secrets topic)
Alex was so crazy about Halfa - more precisely, from the old plot - that he decided to translate it into a mod Dark Interval.
Nihiliant is so turned to HL that he posted probably 9k screenshots from it or so in PIX))
Shifroval is clinically ill with an extreme degree of halferism - otherwise how to explain his perfect knowledge of the plot of the game?
Combine 999 - even a straitjacket does not stop him from adding another half-fiction fanfiction to his collection)) And careful scanning thereof for typos.
Sonik Gray - mental illness makes the poor guy come back here and write his fanfiction and other creativity for the joy of Combine 999 and comment on strangers ...
specter from TM - only a clouding of mind can explain his seven-year stay here)) // however, I'm also not far from him came off;) It's even a pity that it is impossible to catch up!
// and he's also filming (eh?) the craziest GMOD series
Alert - maybe not the craziest among us, but enough to argue with the moderator about our forum and get banned ((I hope he will be back soon.
and this is just a couple of examples - we, gaga halferov actually much more, which is why I think that the name of the topic is outdated - after the roof of the Half does not go, no ...

spoileron ALREADY completely fell off !!!!!!%)))))))))))) (((((((((((%

(% please do not watch the animation until you load it, otherwise the roof will not blow)%)
It is worth telling what this topic is for. In it, you can tell how CL affects your HL actions - whether it be unusual reactions or dreams about CL, whether it’s a sound heard on the street or on TV that made you remember about CL, or a picture or scene you saw. You can talk about the unusual use of halfa, which simply could not have occurred to a normal person, or about unusual desires and aspirations that are indirectly or directly related to CL. We are listening to you attentively ...

So, dear psychos, of course, it was not worth opening a topic just like that, and I, of course, found a good moment to escape from the orderlies and get to the PC with a half. The result was the following project: Pervohalf as a Windows screensaver. You can adapt the second one, but I'll do it sometime next time.
How it's done: in theory, everything is very simple, if not primitive. Any executable can become a Windows screensaver if you rename it to .scr. That is, Windows screensavers are really just specialized programs. You can even put some demo as a splash screen (quite a logical desire). With CL is more difficult, and not only because this application is not intended for this function, but also because CL does not play by itself. Continuing to wrinkle the cap, I can offer two ways to solve the problem. The easiest: to record a demo of the game - single or multiplayer - and load it when you start the game. But we are real crazy, and we will not look for easy ways, so we choose the second option: load some completely scripted map, in which no action is required from the player (and preferably, so that no actions would be possible on his part) - an example is Freeman's inspection of the Citadel's attractions while in a coffin. The only problem is where to get such a card. You can do it yourself, but I don't have much time, because I can hear the screams of the orderlies in the corridor. There was like some kind of map on City17, but it was too hard for me to dig there, but I heard about the Mr. Valve, which is one of the earliest intro options. You can watch the video on YouTube, or you can download the map itself (I really don't know where the fans dug it up). I already had a card, we are trying, testing - tk. This is just an introductory screen saver, this video on the engine lasts only ten seconds, no more. Then we are thrown into the menu. A screensaver that lasts 10 seconds is not the case, so we need to somehow loop it. The most primitive option is to make an automatic transition to the map itself. But I'm not sure if it will work, and also - it's too primitive and rude. Reload the same map every ten seconds? Insanity is the same. Therefore, it is best to reorganize the logic on the map so that it loops through all the scripts. To do this, we will use the ripent utility, which makes it easy to extract and inject the list of entities into the BSP.

This will be of interest only to mappers.
So, extract the .ent file using GCFScape or ripent, open it and study the logic. The map is small, short, so the list of entities is small, to our delight, especially to me, who is already banging on the door with might and main ... It is quite expected that all scripts are tied to a single multi_manager, which is launched at the start of the map. This mm launches: faidin and camera, then basic scripts and sound, and then fadeout and exit (we will remove the last one right away). We need to loop the execution of this mm, and this is the easiest step. You just need to specify the name mm and the time after which it should start itself up again. Just in case, add the line "spawnflags" "1" to show the game that this entity is allowed to run mm.
Now we need to deal with the camera, and this moment turned out to be the most difficult and long stage for me, since I had almost never dealt with it before. Fortunately, the orderlies just stopped breaking the door and left somewhere - after I pretended to be a guest from a very borderline world, asking "Nashchyalnik, Xen in which direction?" Which means I have plenty of time.
The problem turned out to be the looping of the camera's movement (even though it was already looped) - simultaneously with the fade-in, the camera starts moving somewhere outside, and, having passed a long and winding route, stops, staring at Mr. Valva, after which a fade-out occurs ... We need to:
- return the camera to its original position;
- after the fadeout, start the faidin again;
- repeat the fadeout at the end of the camera path.
At the same time, the camera must be launched by the multi-manager so that we can achieve synchronization with everything else - with fade-in and out, otherwise, after repeating N cycles, we will have guaranteed out-of-sync and fades will appear in the wrong place, and Mr. Welv - to screw the valve not when we see. And since we have, after all, a splash screen, the repetition of N cycles is more than likely.
So, the camera starts up with a certain period, fade-in and out - too. The camera is moving along path_corners and the path of the camera is already looped by caring developers. But, the camera does not return to the starting point, it returns to the first pap_corner. In addition, the camera just returns there, that is, it flies, passing through the wall and showing all this disgrace to the player ^ W to the viewer. But I took a spectacular shot of what is usually seen only out of the corner of the eye:
http://pix.playground.ru/278556/16478/788824/
And this picture is visible to us because mm, being re-activated, launches both the camera and the fadein at the same time. Apart from the fact that the fadeout is too short.
Rules:
- copy one of the paf corners and copy the coordinates of the camera's starting point into it (there may well be a bunch of entities at one point, so it's okay) - it will be a "zero" path_corner and the camera will start moving from it. We redirect the camera to this paf_corner, and redirect itself to the paf_corner that was previously the target of the camera. In the very last pat_corner, change the target to zero pat;
- you need to hide the return of the camera. It would be cool to somehow conjure ^ W to teleport it to zero puff, and there is even a checkmark in the flags, but it doesn’t work: 0 No, I’m sure it has nothing to do with clouding my mind, I even made a test card - it doesn’t work, moves in a circle as if nothing had happened ... Therefore, we will choose a different path, namely, hide the camera movement with fades:
- all that remains is to configure them. The problem is that the faydin is too short, and if we make it big, it’s too long to start. Therefore, it was decided to divide the faidin into two - one is launched at startup and never again (for this I gave it the magic name game_playerspawn); the other is launched by the multi-manager some time after mm starts itself. Feydins do not differ from each other, except for the names and the order of launch, therefore, it was possible to decide in a different way - to create a trigger that, when starting the map, will personally launch this fade only once, and then mm will launch it.
The gap between the mm start and the fadein start is filled with a significantly lengthened fadeout. As a result, the camera flies up to Mr. Valve, a long fadeout is triggered. While the fadeout lasts, mm starts itself. This triggers the camera. The camera flies out and at this moment faidin starts and disperses the darkness. The cycle is closed.
Everything else is done very simply. This is how the multi-manager launches Mr. Valva, you just need to tweak the sequencing_sentences a little and enable the repeatable flags in them. In addition, there is music on the map, but it is implemented in a bad way - with the help of a separate trigger, due to which it plays only once. We fix this by assigning a track number in worldspawn using the sounds parameter. Now the music is looped. I changed the MP3 track to one that was pulled from the alpha, but no one forbids you to change it to something else (for example, to that track, an excerpt from which sounds in the Welv video intros - it would be logical).
The most interesting thing remains - how to put our CL on the screensaver?
Firstly, Windows does not recognize the bat-nickname for the splash screen, so you need to register the map valve in autoexec.cfg. To organize an exit from our splash screen, it is better to pin in config.cfg some keys on quit, for example, hehe, bind MOUSE1 quit ... I also pinned quit on Space, Tab, F1, Pause and arrows - so, just in case ... It's a pity, you can't use Escape.
Now rename hl.exe to valve.scr. If you rename it to hl.scr, then for some reason the game will start accessing the non-existent hl directory and create hl_russian, which will lead to a regular crash. Now we can "test" our splash screen with a double click, "configure" using an item in the menu (in fact, all this stupidly starts the half), and also "set" it as a splash screen. The Windows menu will appear (in this case, the CL will start - exit it) and by clicking OK and moving away ^ W ^ W we can observe the appearance of our own screensaver through the X minutes set in the settings ... If you knew how she got me already for The time that I ruled this fucking card% D
Screen with HL in the splash menu:

If you click "options" or "view", the screensaver will just start. The same will happen every time you open the screensaver menu%)) Copy somewhere in the Windows folders, at least in my XPshka, you don't need a screensaver, you just need to select "Install" / "Install" in the menu by right-clicking on vavle.scr, but I will not say for 7k, test it. Moreover, I tried to copy the contents to the WINDOWS folder - CL swore at the wrong location of Mss32.dll - perhaps this is due to the bitness of the OS. Maybe it was necessary to copy it to system32.
In case there are problems under 7, I can suggest that you create a self-extracting archive using WinRAR that will quietly unpack itself at startup and launch a batch file that launches the half and cleans up the files after itself - it is all elementary in it, an example of a batch file can be found in the closed 10th part of "secrets and gags", I posted a couple of SFX-builds there. Rename this archive to .scr and try to put a splash screen.

Of course, I did not use a full-size half as a screensaver, but took as a basis my stripped-down _microhalflife (the one that is 40 meters) - throwing out a bunch of unnecessary ones, such as parabots, models for multiplayer players, a large number of sounds, an amphitheater and related files to him; as well as having bloody gutted by the maniac Tupas empty models, sprites and vadniks, I managed to get a 23-meter splash screen (of which 3 meters is an mp3 track). Of course, here you can still find something unnecessary to throw out - for example, sounds and software, and I did not touch the menu at all, although it is quite possible to do without it (the resolution and video mode can be configured using a batch file - valve.scr quite accepts launch parameters from the command line) ... I also tried to replace hl.dll with a lightweight version from Alex, but there are too many things cut out, even the camera is not there%)) And also the lever disappeared, the sprites of the bulbs and there is clearly not enough multi-manager. But worldspawn is left, already something% D And, oddly enough, monster_generic (which is Mistar Valva) too.

You can download the ready-made screensaver here (10.7 Mb). Do not forget to activate key.reg before starting experiments, otherwise the screensaver will ask for a CD-key - however, a ponty screensaver ...% __% Well, at least Steam is not required for this screensaver, since it has a built-in lightweight emulator provided by Tupas.
By the way, such an idea - if you use the Source engine as a screensaver (and it is even better suited to this in view of the presence of a considerable number of background cards and, in general, the map_background commands), then you can run not only maps, but also videos on it -rolls (although it is possible in CL, but it is still unknown what is with the formats) - maybe you remember in the old parts of this topic my posts with the proposal to use CL2 instead of the video player%) Thus, we have the opportunity to put some movie. Although it was possible to rename mpc-hc to .scr, for example, but it would hardly be so easy to use - where to get autoplay, how to tell the player that this video should be shown, and not what you watched yesterday? .. With HL2 it is much clearer and more convenient ...
In short, there is a wide scope for aggravating schizophrenia.

So, it's time to round off - and not because the door is already crunching and cracking under the titanium mounts of the orderlies ... no, just the back of the cabinet creaked and a shadow crawled out of there. It seems to me that this is the same Advisor who wants to suck the remnants of my brain D% But I will still post a couple of spectacular shots taken from a sadist card I have worn out - they turned out when I once again broke my camera:
http: // pix. playground.ru/278556/16478/788822/
http://pix.playground.ru/278556/16478/788823/ // player spawn
http://pix.playground.ru/278556/16478/788825/
http: // pix.playground.ru/278556/16478/788826/
http://pix.playground.ru/278556/16478/788827/
// sorry for 16-bit color - forgot to change% D after alphahalfa

Well, that's all for today, wish me luck, my mentally ill friends - and then, maybe, next time I’ll tell you how to escape through the window, being in a locked room without ventilation and emergency openings, located at the height of the ninth floor, having in my arms only a torn straitjacket and a wire from the keyboard%)
79 Comments
Sort by:
T
Tupas 21.11.21

Here is another application of microhl))
Can you bind to mouse movement?

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

Mouse movement? No, this is too schizanuto even for me%) It is unlikely that this is provided for in the CL ... You can just chop off the mouse, prescribe -mlook, probably (but this will only work in the game, in my opinion). Although in this case there is no sense in the latter, tk. the player still does not have access to character control - the freeze player checkbox is on the camera. I also had an idea to kill the player at the start (the camera does not stop working because of this, tested), but this will lead to a reload of the map when trying to press something, which is even worse))

N
Nihiliant 21.11.21

SHE ALREADY FLYED !!!!!! %)))))))))))) ((((((((((((%
Oh god, 666/10!

O
Onotolevich 21.11.21

Thank you, now I feel like an absolutely normal person.

s
specter from TM 21.11.21

"She's already completely flocked% !!!!!!)))))))))))) ((((((((((((%"
yes etozhe kvintesentsiya / HL2 / in a few years! // repeat, but xen in the turquoise errorbox is repeated five times) did you like it?) // not to mention the background of the menu from xl1

"unusual reactions"
blichikh

"The only problem is where to get such a card"
testhardware

"pix.playground.ru/278556 / 16478/788825 / "it
looks like a firebox from NB10 .. is it not in a mini installation for cascade resonance, he forges his valve?

" Pix.playground.ru/278556/16478/788822/ "
STEAMBOX

B
Bloody body 21.11.21

resembles a furnace from nb10
How long have I been on this forum, but still can not understand what is NB ???

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

http://forums.playground.ru/half-life_2/166169/
[before viewing the topic, turn on the split pages]

B
Bloody body 21.11.21

Well, yes. It's just that I always called him Brind,

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

I completely forgot that SOFTWARE with empty models and sprites will not work. Tupas made 384-byte nanomodels that would prevent the game from crashing, and I replaced all the sprites with the smallest dot.spr. The update had almost no effect on the size, all the same 10.7 meters in the archive, you can download the splash screen with the working Software here or on the site. The old version is still available for download, you can safely throw out sw.dll from there - free up almost 2 meters.
// in general, it is not recommended to run this "screensaver" in software mode, because working in opengl, the video card, on which all the load goes in this case, will hardly warm up, but in Software mode the processor will be constantly loaded. However, if you have a quad-core processor, then the Software-mode will be preferable, since the load in this mode goes only to one core, which means that the heating will not be high.

N
Nihiliant 21.11.21

I dreamed that I was playing a mod for xl2. I got the impression that it follows the old storyline, but it is not. The title was Half-Life 1.5, and it was designed by Schiff. When I wanted to start a new game, in the menu, as the background of the first chapter, I saw the side of a train from xl2, which had an old-looking soldier. I started flipping through the chapters, but the train continued, then its image began to go down, and a part of the train was already visible there. Under the name of each major was the name of the card. Then I ended up in some canyon, where there was a long old train from the 19th century. I was turning some kind of valve. Then a dog appeared with puppies, I took the puppy and started hitting him on the floor of the station, and other puppies tried to eat this puppy, then I tried to eat him, but only bit off a piece of wool (?) ... drug addict, yes. There was something else, but I don't remember.

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

I got the impression that it's in the old
Dark Interval storyline ?

The title was Half-Life 1.5, and it was designed by Schiff.
Everything is messed up for you))

addict, yes.
It's also good that you haven't dreamed of Half-Life 0.5, that is Quiver. Or Cry of Fear, if you've played it ...

N
Nihiliant 21.11.21

Dark Interval?
This is probably an association with this.

G
Grandshot 21.11.21

I never dreamed of Half-Life 0.5, that is Quiver.
If Quiver, which is not Half-Life 0, now someone would have dreamed, it would have been a very nightmare% ((
Spoilerhttp: //www.old-games.ru/game/screenshots/4346.html

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

Apparently, that's why the Velvas abandoned the old name?)) It looks like a cross between a quake and a doom. In general, ATP for the link, I personally did not know about such a namesake.
// lol, first read the name of the studio as a games ... the BSD

the edit
Nihi, this is where CL 1.5, however, defmatchevy version))

G
Grandshot 21.11.21

xDDGx
In general, ATP for the link, I personally did not know about such a namesake.
This he is, the very Quiver, which "according to legend" crossed with a certain adventure game Prospero and gave birth to everyone's beloved "half-life".
Didn't come out officially.
The developers involved in it were really engaged in half before Gabe dismissed everyone and started development again (Probably these people were directly related to "Alpha").

// cc
Spoilerhttp: //arc.iddqd.ru/01122007/viewtopic.php? p = 125841

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

I do not believe! (c)

1. Your statements are unfounded. I require proof in the studio.
2. Before throwing dubious statements, it is worth reading RtB. Both Quiver and Prospero are not legend, both of these projects were developed by Valve and later merged into the CL.
3. As far as I know, Gabe did not dismiss anyone. They completely overhauled the game, yes - that happened after Gabe hired Mark Laidlaw to play the screenwriter - but there was no talk of disbanding the team. I don't think the "ESD Games" team ^ W or rather "ADvertainment Software" has anything to do with Valve.
4. Gabe immediately set out to license the Quake engine, not write his own. The same game is made in 2.5D, on its own engine and looks more like Doom than Kwaku - the graphics there are clearly sprite.
5. In the article about Quiver in English there is not a word about the involvement of this game in the CL, and vice versa - in the English article on CL there is not a word about this "Quiver".

S
Shifroval 21.11.21

Yes, this Quiver is just a namesake, nothing more. It has nothing to do with chl.

C
Cvoxalury 21.11.21

This from the FAQ reminds Welv

Q: Why is there even a Quiver in the first place? Aren't there enough
3d action games around as it is?
A: Yeah, there's plenty of those around. But not everybody has a 32MB
P166 with a T1 connection. We wanted to create a game for 90% of
the players, not just the lucky or rich ones.

this Quiver is just a namesake, nothing more. It has nothing to do with hl.

We don’t know that.

The same game is made in 2.5D

In Angloiki it is said about 3D.

G
Grandshot 21.11.21

Honestly, I do not know. As when I came across this site, as I played this Quiver, I thought that this is the very one and the version is true.
And the year of implementation as 1997 is marked. Well, two projects with exactly the same names cannot be developed at the same time, and when one of them is from Valve,
although .. It is quite possible that the name was taken after Valve stopped the development of its "trepidation", just for the sake of the already promoted name.

Upd
But,
Quiver is the only ADvertainment Software game. After 1998, nothing is known about this studio. Could Valve have absorbed it?
After all, its policy of cooperation with experienced developers is well known, as well as luring talented developers into its ranks.

\ damn, I'm already contradicting myself%)

x
xDDGx 21.11.21

We don’t know that.
In short, you need to download and see. I think, digging through the files of this game, it will be possible to dig up more specifics. But I'm sure that if there really was such a release, then it would be covered in RTB or at least in the same Wikipedia. What is the point of hiding such a fact? And the fans would have found out sooner or later.

In "Angloiki" it is said about 3D.
I look at the screenshots and see sprite graphics like in Duma, and not full-fledged models like in Quake. "One step forward - two steps back"?

Well, two projects with exactly the same names cannot be developed at the same time.
They can. Do you know how many mods and maps with the name "Escape" exist only for the first or second half? The name Quiver also does not carry anything original. Firstly, the word quiver is similar to quake, and secondly, quake is an earthquake, and quiver is trembling, shaking (well, also a quiver for arrows, which I learned from Minecraft, lol). The Valves chose the name as a reference to the progenitor, and this unknown studio was most likely purely for marketing reasons, so that potential buyers would have an association with the popular game. [Or maybe they stole the name from the Valves altogether - in short, there are many options.]

Could Valve have absorbed it?
Even if swallowed, it doesn't matter, because this, most likely, happened after the release of HL.

edit
If I still knew how to open BIN ... Dragon Unpacker does not take.

edit2
Tried passing the files to the hex editor. I looked for references to Valve, Gabe and Quake - I couldn't find anything. Although I found mentions of a certain DiamondWare with copyright 94-95 and WATCOM (the authors of the development environment in C; and half is still on the pros), with copyright 88-93. Oh, and also such funny lines:

SpoilerDemo Saved
Demo NOT Saved, cheater!
Nope. Not registered
Nice try
Can't save demo: gotta start naked!

edit3
The first public appearances of Half-Life came in early 1997; it was a hit at the Electronic Entertainment Expo that year, where they primarily demonstrated the animation system and artificial intelligence.
Already at the beginning of 97th, the Valves showed at E3 the first trailers with soldiers and skeletal animations. If earlier they had toiled with some garbage on a DooM-like engine for a whole year, they would hardly have had time to master and rework Quake for themselves and prepare a presentation for E3. In addition, the Valves began reworking the game in the late 97th, and not at the beginning (which is proved by the recently released alpha).