3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
k
kostr184 29.11.21 10:39 pm

Is it possible to integrate the installed winXP into win7 using a virtual machine

Greetings! Such a thought appeared: I have windows xp on one computer, and I have an eight. A dozen of old and good games in the eight are buggy, do not turn on, etc.
The question is: is it possible to run XP inside the eight using some virtualBox? Without a complete reinstallation, with free access to winXP files from the eight.
9 Comments
Sort by:
G
Grandshot 29.11.21

Yes, the virtual machine is designed for this. But some older games may have problems. For example, if a game has some kind of protection (for example, StarForce), it will only require real Windows xp, and will not work on any virtual machine. Or games can run with brakes and glitches, due to the fact that the system will not understand the video card / driver for it from under the virtual machine. Unfortunately, such problems happen very often.

I can recommend a free virtual machine - VMware Player. It's easy to set up, but it's better to look at the setup instructions. There are many of them on the Internet.

k
kostr184 29.11.21

Grandshot
And you don't have to reinstall anything? XP that has long been installed will run as a virtual machine without any images, virtual installations, etc.?
---
VMware, like everyone else, offers to install a virtual machine from the beginning. Can I use an already installed working windows?
It seems to me that we need VMWare Converter ... Can you advise where to get it and what to do with it?

d
dizzy33 29.11.21

Well, a disk with Windows xn is needed, of course. You put a virtual machine, it makes a virtual hard disk on your screw, let's say 100 gigs, chop off memory, let's say 4 gigs out of 8. You take a disk or an image with win-xp and install it like on a regular computer. Then you put all sorts of driver codecs and others.

d
dizzy33 29.11.21

As far as I know, no. Well, personally, I have not seen it, and it would take such a machine gig 200 if all existing types were crammed there.

k
kostr184 29.11.21

dizzy33
Yes nafig I need all the existing ones ... I initially have two Windows installed, even though now restart the computer and go for XP.
The problem is that win8's boot manager is very (terribly) dumb, and if I choose XP, it will restart the computer again. + xp takes a whole minute to load, so the total transition time from eight to XP is ~ 5 minutes.
So I ask if it is possible to push into a virtualizing program not one "image" weighing ~ 30 GB, but a whole, working and installed windows.

d
dizzy33 29.11.21

With the installed one, I have never met. But anyway you need to start 8k at the beginning, then wait for it to load, then click on the virtual machine shortcut, then press the start button (triangle) in it and wait for hp to load.

k
kostr184 29.11.21

dizzy33
That's what I meant.
However, to get this you need to install a virtual machine. From scratch. To a file not readable in win8.
And I already have XP installed and it needs to be virtualized.

R
Reddington1371 29.11.21

kostr184
Probably unlikely to come out. In the programs, these only need to be installed anew through images or disks.
P. S recently installed a piggy on 7k in a virtual machine and launched Scarface) even then toko then start to glitch and deleted it. You never know suddenly overload the system

k
kostr184 29.11.21

sherlock1371
In principle, I am quite satisfied with the option of converting all winXP into one image and then deleting it.
The main thing is that she still has the ability to work with files outside of her environment (as I saw on the parallels desktop in the iMac at school), and this is what I have never seen anywhere.