3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
R
Reav3r 10.12.21 02:08 am

I was told that this is a difficult game. Nubs probably ... (c) (Dark Souls)

I want to greet everyone and share my impressions of Dark Souls, a game that changed my vision of what games should be.
I saw the game by chance, when I was looking for another RPG, having gone through all the interesting things that my old wretched computer pulls. Unfortunately, my budget did not allow me to buy the game on steam and enjoy the wonderful online mode, so I downloaded the pirated version. Going into the game, I immediately appreciated the gloomy atmosphere, which I liked, but then, as a hard gamer that was not revealed, I didn't really like everything, starting with the choice of the character, his origin and the initial subject, tk. there was no detailed description of what this affects (as I used to see it in TeS or Dragon Age, for example). I was surprised that you can not choose the level of difficulty, and in general there are few settings. The beginning of the game and I, having got out of the dungeon thanks to the kind knight Solu, with a fragment of a sword in my hands, rushed to surf the expanses of the new world and went nuts, having received pretzels from two skeletons. Then I began to guess that not so noobs are those who talked about the hardcore game. After playing for another 10 minutes and dying 5 times from the first boss, as it turned out later from which I needed to run away, I freaked out, left the game and forgot about it for a while. The only thing that brought me back to the game over time was boring online games and the ability to play DS from a gamepad (lo and behold, I had one). And now, having filled up an endless supply of sandwiches and tea, I, determined to conquer the hardcore game, settle down comfortably with a gamepad in my hands and for the next 8 hours I plunge into a dark world. After the same 5 deaths on the first boss, I decide to read the walkthrough guides. Having understood what to do, I moved on. After playing for about 3 hours, I already began to understand what a wonderful game this is. I played without stopping for several days, finished the game in 24 long hours and ran to tell my friends, what an awesome game this is. A friend of mine just fell in love with the game from my stories and ran to pass. The next evening, he already shared his impressions and told me about things that I had not noticed before. After that, I decided to study the game more deeply, sat down to read the wiki, watch video materials, as a result of which a lot of interesting facts were revealed, which pushed me to complete NG +, while paying more attention to details, such as describing objects and comparing the mosaic of history and the plot of the world that suddenly became so obvious and simple. In the course of replaying and viewing a heap of materials, I learned that the game also has the Artorial of the Abyss add-on, which I had not noticed earlier. It further reveals the beauty of the game and adds many hours of fun passing. And so, after completing the game a second time (which is the first time I do), I got an incredible experience of hardgaming, just a bunch of emotions and impressions, how awesome the game can be, the atmosphere and the plot that you have to "guess" yourself. After some time, out of curiosity and boredom, I played the game for the third time, which I did not regret - the impressions and pleasure only intensified. The Darks Souls series is by far the best RPG in the genre for me. After DS I go through games only on hard mods, I always watch videos, carefully read / listen to dialogues and delve into the plot, which I have not done before. All this pushed me to go through many old games anew, without missing any of the above, which opened them up in a new light. Now I'm waiting for Dark Souls 3, I will definitely buy it - I dream of trying pvp. I wish I could play Bloodborn. In the end, I want to say that this is incredibly interesting,
Thank you for your attention (**,)
26 Comments
Sort by:
H
Hawkwind 10.12.21

But Setesh is right. I went through D1 D2 and Bloodborne. The games are insanely high-quality, very addictive and do not go on the occasion of the player. But this is not an RPG. This is an action game with role-playing elements. For example, like the Borderlands series (only there FPS).

PS: thanks to the topic starter for the detailed opinion, he himself experienced similar emotions.

p
pochtipushkin 10.12.21

Setesh
Simply if you are Dark Souls - you do not consider the canon RPG to be a representative of this genre, then what is an RPG for you? What can it be?

Regarding the reaction to the comment, I confess, I overdid it a little, I apologize. It's just that now everyone considers the Witcher a "good RPG", although there is almost nothing from the canons of the genre in it - the development of the character is mediocre.

Lately, many (thanks to the publishers) have perverted their understanding of the genre. RPG is not a ton of dialogue - it is a deep character development system. Tell me, is there a lot of chatter in the TEC (compared to the same Witcher)? Maybe a tenth. But, at the same time, do you think that TES is not an RPG, given that the depth of character development in it significantly exceeds the Witcher? Or, let's use the heavy artillery - Diablo. Diablo - RPG in its purest form (I hope at least agree with this), how much chatter in diablo? Probably the same as in the DS. Diablo is focused on deep character development (a bunch of parameters, sub-parameters that are interconnected, etc.) just like Dark Souls.

And yet, perhaps ahead of someone's comments, I somehow heard more than once "well, this is a classic RPG." There is a certain genre of games - RPG, and only those who have been brainwashed by the developers can divide into classical and non-classical ones, positioning everything where there is even a hint of character development as a representative of the genre. Plus, there's a ton of dialogue stuck to the genre. Dialogue is good, but it's an adjunct, not a defining aspect of the genre. A good appendage, which (if in moderation) can only become a plus of the game of the genre. But if, apart from dialogues, there is no deep development system in the game, then this is not an RPG.

A
Aips95 10.12.21

Personally, after these games, I have an unpleasant aftertaste. Yes, from a fight in ds, sometimes your hands start to tremble with tension, but in my opinion this is not good. Although the bosses did not cause serious problems for me (most passed with 1-3 attempts), each death caused only irritation because I had to run through the entire location again. It's not hardcore, it's just inconvenient. By the way, if there was regen in the game, but there were no heaps, it would be even more difficult and interesting.
Well, a few words about RPG in general. Above we wrote that DS is not an RPG, because there are no dialogues and "roleplaying" or the Witcher is not an RPG, because "the pumping is not deep." I will say this: just as DS is an RPG not the name of dialogues at all, the Witcher would also be considered an RPG even if there were no pumping in it at all. The RPG genre has a number of criteria,

S
Setesh 10.12.21

pochtipushkin
absolutely disagree with the statement that character development is the canon of a real RPG, the canon of a real RPG is role-playing (I think it is not necessary to explain the decoding of the RPG abbreviation?)
Diablo is an RPG to an even lesser extent than DS

p
pochtipushkin 10.12.21

Setesh

Diablo is an RPG even less so than DS.

Good) This is where I propose the discussion and end.

I'll just leave this here:

Computer role-playing game (English Computer Role-Playing Game, abbreviated as CRPG or RPG) is a genre of computer games based on the elements of the gameplay of traditional tabletop role-playing games. In the role-playing game, the player controls one or more characters, each of which is described by a set of numerical characteristics, a list of abilities and skills; examples of such characteristics can be hit points (English hit points, HP), indicators of strength, dexterity, defense, evasion, the level of development of a particular skill, etc. During the game, they can change. One of the characteristic elements of the gameplay is to increase the capabilities of characters by improving their parameters and learning new abilities.

And this:

Diablo became a milestone in the history of computer games and RPGs in particular. On the one hand, the game strictly follows the canons of role-playing games: the player chooses one of three standard characters (warrior, robber, magician), and then descends into the dungeon in order to cleanse it of the creatures of evil. He performs various tasks, finds magic items, more advanced weapons and armor, as he gains experience points, he moves to the next level (development) and gets the opportunity to improve his personal characteristics and additional skills.

It should be noted that two main systems of character development came from tabletop role-playing games (focusing on which the first computer role-playing games were created): GURPS and AD&D. Diablo almost exactly followed the first (the more complex second was used, for example, in the game Baldur's Gate), where there are clearly only 4 main game parameters (strength, agility, endurance and magic) available to the player to increase by gaining experience.

And, by the way, in Dark Souls these parameters are much more, therefore, she went along the second path - more complicated. Does that make her a deeper RPG? Everyone who has read and compared the above will be able to understand for himself.

S
Setesh 10.12.21

pochtipushkin
ok, everyone will remain unconvinced , that copy-paste did not become for me proof of someone else's rightness, I am still confident in my opinion))