3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
B
Brannan 28.12.21 11:30 pm

Is Nvidia HairWorks related to PhysX? (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Is Nvidia HairWorks Technology PhysX or Not?

As far as I know, video cards from AMD do not work with API PhysX. But, if the system has PhysX software, then the CPU works with it. That is, all the effects can be observed calmly (Metro Last Lite, Mafia 2, Alice Madness Return ...), only the FPS drawdown is stronger, since this API is not optimized for CPU architectures. Therefore, the performance when working with PhysX without Nvidia graphics cards depends entirely on the software version and the CPU.

HairWorks is part of the PhysX API and calculates using Nvidia / CPU cards? Or is it a separate technology with the ability to run on AMD cards?
Who does the HairWorcs calculation when there is an AMD card?
17 Comments
Sort by:
m
mr.STR 28.12.21

As far as I know, the calculation of hair physics refers to physics technology and the calculation falls on the video card.

S
Spirit of rock 28.12.21

Brannan
There used to be Ageia, which invented the very PhysX. He, in turn, provided the calculation of physics at the expense of the graphics processor of the video card, thereby unloading the CPU (as you said above), he worked on both AMD and nVidia. Then nVidia bought these developments and since then all PhysX (and Hairworks come with it) is intended only for video cards of this company, and AMD was left with nothing and is trying to make its own technologies, such as TressFX.
PS Happy Birthday)

C
CRASHBULLET 28.12.21

I’m more interested in why they don’t endure the "hair work" on the second video card, as with physics, otherwise the second 770 card is only for physics, xs works at all or not, I don’t know, but it would not be bad if she could "hair work", etc. process.

B
Brannan 28.12.21

Spirit of Rock
Thank you for your reply and congratulations.
The crux of the matter was only if I have a card from AMD, then HairWorcs is calculated using the CPU, or still the GPU.
The question arose due to misinformation spread by various articles from different sites. For example: http://www.hardwareluxx.ru/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/34711-amd-tressfx-nvidia-hairworks-detail.html where it says HairWorcs works very poorly on AMD cards though, it does not work there at all, because the PhysX API is not supported ... Or here: http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/tfx_tr_perf.png There are doubts about the closed code HairWorcs.
Regarding TressFX in the course. It is interesting to see the new version of this technology in the future Deus Ex.

P
Pon4ik007 28.12.21

CRASBULLET
Please tell me. You have SLI and two 770s or one 770 for physics and the other for the graph and so on. If so, what is the 2nd video card?

M
MunchkiN 616 28.12.21

hair works does not apply to physics and kuda.
I still do not quite understand what there is a hairworks, but it is hair strands that multiply and are tessellated by a video card. physics is calculated only for the hair before the GPU conversion and through the CPU. and this is not the demo that Nvidia showed a few years ago. there is something similar in 3d packages.
for example, physics, this programming technology PPU is a process of calculations on a super multi-threaded core. which was ppu Ageia. after the purchase of the company, nvidia ported this technology to its computing technology where. so the GPU was able to do the same thing as that processor.
a number of other technologies do not apply to kuda.

C
CRASHBULLET 28.12.21

Pon4ik007
I have 980 1 piece, it was before 770, and until 770 was sold, I put it on and threw physics on it.

P
Pon4ik007 28.12.21

CRASBULLET
And how are the results? Is there a sense or not yet clear?

C
CRASHBULLET 28.12.21

Pon4ik007
Nuuu, there is a bit of an appendage, there is no real implementation, where physics is used now, and not almost anywhere, only in benchmarks there is a boost.

P
Pon4ik007 28.12.21

CRASBULLET I
see. But I wanted to buy the next generation of GPUs, and leave my 770 for all sorts of physics and stuff. But apparently it wakes up from eating more than giving out power for it. Thanks for the answer.

t
tesla707 28.12.21

HairWorks is a technology from NVIDIA that is processed by an NVIDIA graphics card. If the card is AMD, processing is done through the CPU.
the same goes for TressFX - it is processed by the AMD video card. If the card is NVIDIA, processing is done through the CPU.

neither technology is tied to PhysX, these are separate algorithms.

B
Brannan 28.12.21

tesla707
I might be wrong, but AMD has stated that TressFX is open source and can be handled with Nvidia cards. When Tomb Raider 2013 came out, Nvidia soon wrote a new driver version that improved performance when using TressFX. In other words, GeForce works with TressFX.

As far as I know, HairWorcs is based on DirectCompute, which, in turn, is based on DirectX 11.
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectCompute
Thus, it is logical to assume that AMD cards can support this technology from Nvidia ... But just guess.
Two options, given that the green technology has a closed code:
* Hairworcs uses the physics engine (or part) PhysX and, therefore, is not processed by red cards.
* Hairworcs does not use PhysX and is handled by red cards, but due to proprietary code, optimization on AMD is not possible

What is correct here?

D
Dr_Drift_RU 28.12.21

Brannan, I will draw a cautious conclusion based on just one article from the Eurogamer.
Hairworks is part of the GameWorks technology suite. The package itself is a collection of proprietary solutions intended for distribution to game developers. You need a license to use the technologies. It comes as is, no source code.
Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-does-nvidia-hairworks-really-sabotage-amd-performance
In general, the essence of the fable is this: Only an Nvidia representative will probably say what is inside this HairWorks, well, or fierce lover of Aida64.
You can try to extrapolate the available experience. The first versions of PhysX from Nvidia were famous for the fact that they could be processed on Nvidia video cards, starting with the G80 chip (the first universal stream processors from green), if there is no suitable accelerator from Nvidia, then the processing fell on the central processor, and it worked in only one thread ...
Therefore, it can be assumed that money lovers care little about hamsters who have not invested in a green camp. In other words, almost certainly HairWorks, without video from Nvidia is processed on the CPU, very slowly and not efficiently, we can say for the sake of presentation =)

t
tesla707 28.12.21

Brannan
yes, the TressFX code is open (you can even now go to the AMD website and download a package of headers and lib with a sample).
the question is that the technology was written for the architecture of AMD cards, and so that NVIDIA does not release TressFX, it will not work correctly on their cards. That is why NVIDIA presented its hair processing technology, and as Dr_Drift_RU noted, this technology is proprietary and is included in the GameWorks toolkit, which AMD simply is not available (as mantle is not available on NVIDIA).

B
Brannan 28.12.21

Dr_Drift_RU
I 'm more inclined to think that Hairworcs only works on Nvidia products and CPU. Only it is impossible to find out in any way whether this is really so or not.

tesla707
AMD is more loyal to competitors. Mantle is available on Nvidia. AMD officially announced that Intel and Nvidia can easily use the Mantle API and for this they only need to add drivers. Intel supported this statement, Nvidia, on the contrary, said that Mantle will never work on green cards, because they do not see any point in this (therefore, GeForce does not support Mantle until now). Likewise, TressFX is quietly supported by greens ... But, of course, TressFX works worse on greens than on reds because of the different architecture, but it works.

MunchkiN 616
CUDA is completely out of place. Roughly speaking, CUDA is a technology used in GPUs that allows you to perform a subset of the CPU's tasks. Thus, it is possible to increase the processing power of the CPU by using the card. Nvidia has done a special job in this direction and created the CUDA cores, which are now in all green cards. Also gave the name to the co-computing mode CUDA. This mode allows you to encode and decode video, work with graphics not only using the CPU, but also the GPU, which increases the performance of these operations. AMD cards are capable of absolutely the same thing, only without any big names. How effective the Greens are in relation to the Reds in such technologies, I cannot say.
PS: Nvidia in the specification for its video cards calls shader processors CUDA cores. In fact, they are the same thing.

B
Brannan 28.12.21

MunchkiN 616
Good answer. Only it is difficult to read.

S
SkrepcheZaVR 28.12.21

On my Radeon 270X it works fine on high.