3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
M
Makroless 03.01.22 10:25 pm

Should I turn off shadows when using RTX (Cyberpunk 2077)

I recently received a map with rays. And so the question became, is there any reason to turn off shadows and reflection in the settings, in theory, the rays do the same thing. Or am I wrong and they only improve what is already there?
12 Comments
Sort by:
G
GERA1987 03.01.22

Makroless
Better turn off the rays. There will be more benefits. Performance will skyrocket.

M
MunchkiN 616 03.01.22

I don’t know a good question. but there is no game to check. On the idea of ​​rtx, there is a completely different method for calculating shadows, but what is usually in games is shadow mapping. or cascading shadovmapping. I saw bugs with shadows and when I tested cyberpunk I only saw such a bug. but its essence is that the blur of the standard shadows for some reason did not work correctly. also in the game there is - for the smoke I do not know whether the shadow is used or not, and I do not know if the shadow is supported by such substances. Therefore, I have a suspicion that when turning on rths, ordinary shadovpaming does not go anywhere millet on solid geometry, normal rm shadows, and on volumetric smoke and shm particles. therefore, theoretically, it would be necessary to turn it off, but then some of the shadows would fall off. but most likely the developers have foreseen everything.
but without rtx it looks stupid. shadows have visible drawing distance, sky light leaks and ssr. global illumination is not like that. pastgen in general.

B
Black future 03.01.22

Gott Mit Uns
But without rays, this game looks lame.

k
kpowkaZzip 03.01.22

As far as I understand, rtx replaces the settings for shadows and reflections, so I think it is not necessary to disable it.

G
GERA1987 03.01.22

Black Future
Don't tell me! I admit, the rays look great in Dogs Legion and The Ascent. But in Cyberpunk, you stop noticing them in a matter of minutes. And the fps without them increases significantly!

M
Makroless 03.01.22

Gott Mit Uns
for such purposes there is a dlss that saves the situation, not one hundred percent, but it saves

G
GERA1987 03.01.22

Makroless Approx.
50/50

M
Makroless 03.01.22

In short, I tested it.
If you turn off those shadows that are in the settings, the shadows rtx will not be as detailed.
If you do not include the shadows rtx, then the usual shadows will be sharp and not so blurry when compared with everything included

O
Outlaster 03.01.22

put dlss and it will be top

3Lexas 03.01.22

turn off what you don't like
for the example, all these "cinematic" settings that make the picture only worse

global shading - in some places there is no difference, but the load remains
SSAO, which sometimes makes the
light sources unnaturally bright, the
depth of field in games is also like this , almost nifiga is not visible because of this nonsense,
or just turn off what you do not pay attention to. For example, how to reduce vegetation or shadow quality to save memory

S
Slipnot6 03.01.22

Makroless
I won't say anything about shadows, but I personally tested reflections - they are not interconnected, so if you turn on rtx, then turn off ordinary reflections, because they remain hanging in the background and eat up the frame rate.

P
Protocol10 03.01.22

Slipnot6
Normal reflections (not RTX) in cyberpunk cannot be completely disabled if anything.