3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
B
BumblebeeDi 06.01.22 11:32 pm

Geralt of Rivia, known as The Witcher

For someone he is a villain, for someone he is a hero-savior ... And what or who is Geralt for you?

I propose here to discuss (my point of view) Geralt of Rivia, known as the Butcher of Blaviken.
His actions, his attitude to the world - In a word, the Witcher ...
71 Comments
Sort by:
V
Verka Smerduchka 06.01.22

Didn't he save her as a girl from her pursuers? I just didn't know her name.

In my opinion, it was in the series, not in the book.

T
Tiger [Overmind] 06.01.22

Lichor

No. But as Verka Smerduchka said, the book and the series were mixed in my head =)

B
Beloved d 06.01.22

the book and the series are mixed in my head =) by the
way, the series (well, the film for sure) was filmed surprisingly close to the book, although there, of course, some details that do not affect the main plot are published.
Geralt was not familiar with Renfri before the events described, and she asked him not for help, but just for neutrality, so as not to pry his nose into other things, that is.

L
Lichor 06.01.22

I reread the books for the last time a couple of years ago, but I still remember everything well ... :-)

S
SVAEIG 06.01.22

Didn't he save her as a girl from her pursuers? Just did not know her name

Renfri was a princess, was on a note among the magicians (including Stregobor) because of the prophecy about the Black Sun, barely survived, escaping from the assassins sent by her stepmother and Stregobor (this story is a mocking parody of Snow White and Seven Dwarfs), then decided to take revenge by starting a gang of murderers. No marauders, no father who ran away with them (and it was proper for a prince to run away with marauders? And he seemed to have ordered to live a long time at the beginning of the story), no witcher-savior was there.

T
Tiger [Overmind] 06.01.22

Sveige

Thanks for the enlightenment. =)
But as far as I remember, when Renfri came to Geralt at night, she invited him to go and kill Stregobor in the tower.

M
Master corwin 06.01.22

I looked, Temka woke up. This is good, because the topic is interesting for discussion. I apologize in advance for the mnogabukaf, it's just an interesting topic, here Sapek, of course, makes me think ...

But as far as I remember, when Renfri came to Geralt at night, she invited him to go and kill Stregobor in the tower.
The Witcher, in turn, made a counter-offer to

Renfrey : ... give up revenge. Give up the intention to kill him. Thus, you will prove to him, and not only to him, that you are not a bloodthirsty, inhuman monster, a mutant and a geek. Prove that he is wrong. That I caused you a Very Big Evil by my mistake.

And how did she answer? The Tridam ultimatum. My opinion: yes, sorry for her. It’s a pity, because one indifferent bastard in a sorcery outfit made her whole normal life go down the drain. Because of his desire to study mutations, so to speak, in the original, the girl had to escape and survive all the circles of hell. All this is understandable. But the Tridam ultimatum is unambiguously the demands of modern terrorists. Who does not remember, in short: Baron Tridam caught the robbers. I put it in a hole. The friends of the robbers (including one of dozens of Renfri) captured the pilgrims traveling to the holiday and demanded that the baron release their friends. The baron turned out to be adamant and these geeks began to kill the pilgrims one by one, until the baron could not stand it and agreed to their demands.
Instead of, like a man, for that matter, like a boy, bump into the baron's castle, kick in with the guards and free their homies, a bunch of scum meanly realized: put a knife to the throat of an innocent person and the baron will do everything for you. Just like modern terrorists.

And Renfrey did the same. And not spontaneously, but consciously, having conceived this even before he came to Geralt and in general to Blaviken. Does anyone doubt that if Geralt had not been there, she would not have given her killers the order to slaughter people? Of course I would. Otherwise, her ultimatum would have lost all meaning, and would not have frightened either Stregobor or the local authorities.

Hence the conclusion (my IMHO): with all the sympathy for her unhappy, completely disfigured life - where does the population of Blaviken have to do with it? What, seven bastards would choose exactly who to kill: men, women, or even the warriors of the guards? Damn it with two. They wouldn’t kill the warriors - there is a lot of trouble, about the "heifers with halberds" and the invincibility of her killers, Renfri arrogantly rushed in her judgments, the guards are also far from gifts in the sense of a fight. So the seven in any way would cut those who are unable to defend themselves.

If she is so smart, tough, who has seen life, who managed with an iron hand to control seven first-class murderers - why didn't she draw up a cunning plan to seize power in her native Kreiden? She would have become a princess by right, and would have the opportunity to officially request the extradition of Stregobor. He would have resisted all the same, but not for long - Stregobor is far from the coolest sorcerer, there would have been a couple of others, much cooler, who, for the money of the newly made princess, would have destroyed Stregobor's tower and brought him to Renfrey on all fours. And then she had to decide - to threaten him or show princely mercy. Such examples, as Stregobor himself says, are enough:

Silvena, the hostess in Narok, whom we could not even get close to, so quickly she took power into her own hands. Now there are terrible things happening there. Violet, daughter of Evermir, escaped from the tower using a braided cord and has long terrorized North Velgad. Berniku of Talgar was freed by the foolish prince. He was blinded, and now he sits in a hole, and the most noticeable element of the landscape in Talgar is Å ibenitsa.

But no - it was necessary just like that, despicable: I, they say, do not care how many and what kind of people my lads will cut, the main thing is that my revenge is accomplished. And what else bastard - covered with an official document from the local king, Auduen. Giving her the right to cut out at least half of the kingdom with impunity. And who, after that, looks more monstrous - she or Stregobor with the late Aridea? Nichrome. She is no different from her tormentors. But ordinary people still have nothing to do with it ...

Sorry for the mnogabukaf. Conclusion: my opinion is that Geralt in this case made the only correct decision. The fact that they threw stones at him after that was another matter. Firstly, the witcher is no stranger, and secondly, not only adults lived in Blaviken. But also the children, who did not understand anything at all about what was happening. By and large, the witcher gave them the opportunity not to be left orphans. And how their parents would react to his decision, he did not care. And rightly so: children are not responsible for the sins of their fathers. And also for their stupidity.

M
Master corwin 06.01.22

Didn't he save her as a girl from her pursuers? He just didn’t know her name.
No, he didn’t know that girl at all. And the story of his first exit on the highway is in no way connected with the story of Renfrey. If only because when Geralt hacked to death two rapists, not only Renfri, but, most likely, her daddy Fredefalk was not even in the project yet.

Renfro was a princess, was a note magicians (including Stregobora) because of the prophecy about the Black Sun, barely survived, escaped from the assassins sent by her stepmother and Stregoborom (story - jeering parody of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
have Sapeka in general, a lot of parodies. For example, Violet, the daughter of Evermir, who escaped along a lace woven from plaits - a parody of Rapunzel.

J
Jon Bekket 06.01.22

Damn, this forum is already 8 years old, I'll leave my comment here, but I haven't left it for 5 years. In 5 years I'll come back and leave a comment here when Witcher 4 comes out)))

u
u33u 06.01.22

Jon Bekket
I hasten to upset you, but part 3 was the last, that is, part 4 will not be at all

J
Jon Bekket 06.01.22

u33u
Geralt's story is over. The developers themselves said that they will continue to release Witcher, but not with Geralt ...