3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
AlexZmei83 25.01.22 10:08 pm

It works much better on ancient AMD drivers - there are no statters (God of War (2018))

Everyone immediately noticed that the game is so-so optimized for AMD video cards. Stutters bother me when loading locations and in some places, for example, when you sail for a long time on a boat after an episode with a boar in a witch's house - stutter after stutter.

So, I made an amazing discovery, just deciding to experiment with drivers on my RX 570 4 GB (i7 8700 processor, 16 GB dual-channel RAM). I rolled up the oldest 19.9.3 (September 2019), and lo and behold, it became many times better in terms of friezes. Processor dependence has become almost the same as on nvidia cards. And on green video cards, let me remind you, the FPS is twice as high when focusing on the processor, if AMD has new drivers.

By selecting and testing for a whole day, I found out that the situation with stuttering is deteriorating significantly, starting with driver 21.7.2. The "iconic" initial stutter appears when you start a new game and Kratos leans towards the tree before cutting it down. Then, when you sail at the very beginning on a boat with your son through the cave, 0.1% of the FPS fell to 17 due to two friezes in a row. With the change of firewood, it became 31.

Even on the version of firewood 21.7.1, everything is more or less the norm. Apparently, the programmers in later versions made some significant changes when working with compiling and caching shaders (the cache cleared and rebooted the PC before each run). It didn’t affect other games, but in GoW it’s directly striking.

But, by the way, the best situation is with firewood of 1919. Based on the fact that the game was ported for two years, I can assume that the developers relied on the features of those AMD drivers when transferring, and with new ones, when rendering pictures, something leads to blunting in miscalculations.
9 Comments
Sort by:
A
Atom_1337 25.01.22

Wow, very helpful, I'll check it out on my 6600xt

A
Atom_1337 25.01.22

As a result, most likely all 6XXX are in the span, I set the very first ones, it’s no use, I only noticed that there are much fewer stutters on those that Windows puts, but the FPS still sags

A
AlexZmei83 25.01.22

Atom_1337

is the main thing that many statters are leaving. You can play at 30-45 fps in the absence of friezes, but playing at 60-80 with constant lag is a pain.

A
Atom_1337 25.01.22

AlexZmei83
Maybe you can, but if you have 100+ fps along the corridors and 144Hz, you don’t really want to

B
Braun Fuhrer 25.01.22

The drivers don’t decide, I’m sitting on a red devil 6600xt myself, in the afterburner I fixed the frequency at 2550 so that it wouldn’t jump, threw off the voltage by 100, raised the memory by 150, and after all the manipulations I saw sags up to a maximum of 57-58 fepas in the most difficult places, and so stable 60, monique at 60, I play exclusively in plots and exclusively with vertical, or otherwise. And so, yes, a little optimization for the corridor game.

j
jeka432 25.01.22

give a link to the driver, where there are no starters, please, px 580 video card, I can’t find it

V
VETER15 25.01.22

It's good that the topic starter had a problem with firewood for the video. After all, there is still a processor and RAM ...

D
Denis Kyokushin 25.01.22

AlexZmei83
Then, when you sail at the very beginning on a boat with your son through the cave, 0.1% FPS fell to 17 due to two friezes in a row.
I also expected them, but I didn’t have them. There was a FPS dip to 5 fps before the fight with A stranger when Kratos enters the house (as soon as the door closes behind him, there is a drawdown immediately). And I did not test version 1.0.1. The RX588 card, but I don’t remember which driver. But I didn’t update under GOW4.

A
Atom_1337 25.01.22

jeka432 Go
to the site, select your card, open the tab with your Windows and there will be "previous versions" in small print