3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
M
Mark500 25.02.22 09:31 pm

DL1 vs DL2 (Dying Light 2: Stay Human)

Which part did you like best and why? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each part of Dying Light?
30 Comments
Sort by:
L
Lexx77 25.02.22

Mark500
Both have their good points.

g
gloccc 25.02.22

Mark500
The first part has better plot, better characters, better combat, better soundtrack and more creepy atmosphere. The second part has better parkour, better level design.

T
Tdante 25.02.22

Agree with previous comment.
But about 50/50 parkour, because they gave me an imbued glider, which simplifies everything too much. It would be better if there was a cat with the ability to pull up than this glider. Then it would make sense to get good loot and quests to the high floors. And so climbing to the top is a matter of a couple of seconds.
IMHO, parkour is devalued by half the glider.

D
Denis G 25.02.22

gloccc
The plot in the first part is absolutely lean linear garbage, purely for show. And the combat compared to the second part is just a scrap. It is necessary not to play both parts in order to "compare" them like that.
Tdante
Pumped cat allows you to pull yourself up. And the glider is not a panacea, climbing to the top on it is another challenge. You have to play to feel it.
Here the cat from DL1 killed the already primitive parkour of the first part in the bud, making it absolutely unnecessary.

s
saa0891 18.03.22

Unfortunately, the second part is not up to the level of the first, but of course the parkour has been significantly improved, now the GG just flies, they added a choice in quests, and not only in the story ones (it's cool that they made it possible to save Loan), which of course is also cool, a bun with infection too coolly done, but at the same time they ruined two of the most important and key elements of the game, firstly they cut out the craft of weapons (again, there is no normal repair of weapons either), and this immediately kills a bunch of challenges and the desire to replay the game because you already know that you are not any legendaries you can't craft, you'll be content with what you find.

Secondly, pumping was greatly reduced, starting with crafting, disassembling weapons, repairing, collecting resources and ending with traps in locations and strikes, in the first part there were under 100 skills, in the second less than 50.

The firearm was again stupidly cut out, well at least there is a bow (which, again, can only be obtained after a certain mission, and there is a crossbow that can only be obtained by pumping the fourth level of peacekeepers.

Again, there are minor flaws, and despite the fact that it seemed trifles, this again, it greatly spoils the impression of the game, they stupidly cut out the visual part of the wear of the weapon, in the first part it looked very chic, as it wore out, the weapon changed externally, in the second it is not.
The damage system of the zombies visually degraded again, they removed a lot of small details in case of damage, they cut out an X-ray, which also looked very cool when the zombies broke something else and with such a delicious sound (thym could break the legs of a zombie in a tackle and this was also shown on X-rays ), the zombies themselves are less detailed, in the first part you could see how the skin hangs and bones stick out.

Well, the main criterion, because of these shortcomings, I have no desire to replay the second part (even though there is a choice in story quests, most likely the developers will release a bunch of content as for the first, then there may be a desire to replay again) , in the end, I put the first one on and started again with great pleasure I began to pass, what a pleasure it is when you can craft what you want for yourself.

B
Baxmap 20.08.22

played a pirate game and deleted it after a couple of story missions, compared to the first one, parkour is too embedded and crooked in places ...

D
Denis01112000 20.08.22

I don’t understand why they put minuses on those who condemn the second part. I passed it and I can say that it is really inferior to the first in some aspects. in particular, the skill system, compared to the first, is simplified and cut. As for the graphics, it didn't get much better, the colorful yellow filter only tires. The animations and visuals of the faces of the characters have really improved. Well, they added models to random NPCs, since the days of Dead Island it has been an eternal problem, when the muzzle of some plot non-letter with the smallest changes is pulled over every 3rd rogue with the addition of a mustache, beard, keparik, skin color. DL2 has a better situation with this, although there are similar faces (for example, that guy who jumped off the roof of the bazaar and has a twin brother, a bandit who works for Waltz). As for the plot, there is also disappointment in terms of that despite the variability, everything comes down to 2 endings with some reservations, depending on the choice of the hero, and even then, all this is said behind the scenes, listing everything minor in the drawings, as in the last Terminator. In case you forgot, check out the pre-release videos and developer interviews with their promises of crazy variability, and how many of those promises have been implemented in the game. Don't get me wrong, cons lovers. I liked the plot, but for the long-term construction game, which was postponed and delayed twice, they did not last. There were more expectations. Again, back to graphics and mechanics. This is clearly not nextgen, and the Poles did not jump above their heads, although there was talk. If the game came out at least in the first promised time, then there would be much less criticism. Well, we waited too long. Yes, of course, there were pluses before the second part, namely, a larger world to explore and a pleasure to explore. Even before the paragliding and almost all the improvements, I was able to collect loads in Old Willidore. And with the receipt of a paraglider, I was able to climb the tower of the TV tower even before the hook and the plot point, talk with the liquidator on the roof. In this regard, the game pleasantly does not limit learning (or does it minimally, for example, you cannot fly over the acid zone, getting from a new city to an old one from behind an invisible wall, although technically it could be done). Again, I also liked the grappling hook more than in the first part. His concept in DL2 is more realistic. In general, I liked the sequel, if you consider it in isolation. But as a game that they have been waiting for 7 years with two transfers, adding it up with numerous unfulfilled promises, they did not step over the bar that the Poles set for themselves,

D
Denis01112000 20.08.22

saa0891
Indeed, in my comment, I did not cover many of the details that you pointed out, but it is rightly noted. If in the macro game DL2 looks even majestic, I'm not afraid of this word, then in the micro game it loses the last part. Again, we will most likely continue to offendedly put minuses, without arguing this. If necessary, I can paint the smallest moments where DL2 could not only not become worse than its predecessor, but also improve some aspects.

R
RedOwl 20.08.22

Disappointing weapon system. And how this weapon is involved in the world. NPCs do not have bows and crossbows, although the logic of the game world itself suggests that they should be. There are no shields, weapons are crafted somehow. Well, yes, the blacksmiths all together went to hell. No, oddly enough, there are no spears and other halberds, although, again, the weapon is effective.

s
soulfox 20.08.22

RedOwl
I have just started, but I also asked myself these questions. 15 years have passed since the "fall", and the survivors still live side by side with zombies and have not learned how to deal with them effectively. This is utter nonsense. No traps, no weapons.

V
Vindicare 20.08.22

RedOwl wrote: NPCs don't have bows
and crossbows I do
n't remember crossbows, but there are bows.
RedOwl wrote:
No shields
I read on their twitter that they didn't add shields because people didn't use them in the first part. Instead, they added blocking.
RedOwl wrote:
Oddly enough, there are no spears and other halberds
. There are spears sticking out of corpses. Halberds in FIG are not needed. Against slow zombies and crowds, you need speed, against dangerous mutants, you need speed all the more. Heavy halberds neither here nor there. If I were in the midst of a zombie apocalypse, making myself a halberd would be the last thought that would come to my mind.
There are heavyweights that carry heavy two-handed weapons, but Aiden is a parkour runner, he needs a weapon that won't take away his mobility and stamina.

soulfox
In the game on every corner there are all kinds of stakes, spikes, UV lamps. When leveling as Peacekeepers, a bunch of active traps appear, when leveling as Survivors - means for fast and safe movement.
Well, yes, you omit the fact that dangerous mutants are hiding in dark places around the city and there are more of them than surviving people. At what some of these mutants react to loud sounds even in the daytime.
And there is another danger in the form of bandits and other groups. Therefore, any sortie outside the settlement is a risky event. Relatively freely around the city, and even then, only along the streets and in the daytime, only paramilitary patrols can move, and even those, judging by the number of their corpses on the streets, constantly suffer heavy losses.
In fact, before the arrival of Aiden, people were almost completely locked in their small settlements and were content with very few resources from rare outings. Therefore, most often to create the same weapons, they use what can be found on the street.

s
soulfox 20.08.22

Loken
Ay, at the time of the events in the game, 15 years have passed since the disaster. People seem to have intelligence, unlike zombies, but the locals seem to have turned off their heads for 15 years and have been waiting for the main character, who will give impetus to the development of weapons and traps against zombies. In addition, I still do not really understand how the composition of zombies is replenished? Well, at the time of the disaster, there were a lot of them, the effect of surprise - people suffer. But now there is an enclave, inside of which there are only people. And what prevents them from effectively exterminating the zombies? In 15 years, the number of zombies should have been greatly reduced. But no, in the game there are a lot of ghouls around the nearest corner from the dwellings of people.
This really looks weird.

V
Vindicare 20.08.22

soulfox wrote:
And what prevents them from effectively exterminating the zombies?
Mutants, superzombies and bandits.
According to info from the wiki, the population of Villedor was over 2 million people. There are several hundred survivors in the game. Good luck to clean up, and, most importantly, to keep and protect the cleared sections of the city with so many people.

And what prevented you from clearing the slums of Harran in the first part? There were residential buildings, it was a cat crying. And where in the following were hundreds and thousands of zombies in the fields, in the same wilderness? And why did zombies constantly respawn in Dead Island? And why in any game with an open world, opponents constantly respawn? Why doesn't GG poop?
Are these such presentations for the game or just a heap of cringe in order to get drunk at least for something?

K
Kartonkratos 20.08.22

Loken
Let them also write why there are no cats and dogs that you can stroke :)

V
Vindicare 20.08.22

Kartonkratos
Or a classic - why can't you rob cows?

R
RedOwl 20.08.22

Loken They
don't have bows. At least in the beginning zones. Which again is strange. You actually have a fortress here, and what will you do to shoot zombies.

V
Vindicare 20.08.22

RedOwl wrote:
They don't have bows.
Does the presence of these abilities bother you?
Spoiler RedOwl wrote:
At least in the initial zones.
In the initial zone, a lot of things are missing, like in the first part.

D
Denis G 20.08.22

It is strange to look for holes in the logic of the second part where everything suited everyone in the first. And the second part didn’t bring much new, so it’s difficult to get to the bottom of innovations. From here, claims emerge out of the blue, just to be.
The game, of course, has a lot of bugs and unrealized content, but I repeat, most of the minuses are inherited from its predecessor. Even more minuses in the sequel were corrected. Overall, the sequel is just as good as the original.
Another thing is that it is not as much better as we would like after so many years of promises and expectations (although I doubt that anyone was seriously waiting for the game).
The only offhand negative is that a lot of grind was brought into the game. No, and in the first part, of course, at night they rode on the ass through the pipe, but in the sequel, in order to pump consumables, you need to mow down the infected population of a medium-sized city. In the Odyssey, the grind was even smaller. Fortunately, there is already a mod that brings pumping to an adequate look.

O
Orthodoxy 20.08.22

The plot is weaker than the first part (((IMHO

D
Denis G 20.08.22

IMHO, plots are weaker than the first part, in principle. The whole plot there is a linear set of several courier missions, in the end leading nowhere and not affecting anything. It is remembered solely due to the loss of a couple of key characters, the rest is straight complete passerby.
In the second part, the plot itself is both more meaningful (although not always integral), and more emotional, although after the first part it is at first unusual to run somewhere, not just because you were sent there. Well, the variability of the plot itself and the endings, which, again, against the backdrop of the wretched finale of the first part, look like a masterpiece of screenwriting.