3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22 01:52 am

The swap file is consumed when it is turned off (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

There is 8 GB of RAM. The swap file is turned off. I use msi afterbutner for monitoring. The game uses 5 GB of RAM, and the swap file is 8 GB. Why is it used if it is turned off? Can anyone encounter such a problem? Windows 8
15 Comments
Sort by:
K
Kosh13 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
What exactly is used in The Witcher?

d
demonvandal 31.05.22

Why turn it off?

D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22

Kosh13
No, even in idle time it is used

D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22

demonvandal
To use the RAM and not the swap file, since it is many times faster

K
Kosh13 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
Why did you post the topic in The Witcher?
Okay, let the moderators sort this out.

In fact. Try setting the swap file to either 0 or 1 MB and see if it grows.

d
dimaboss1_ 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
I have the same garbage, have you decided?

D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22

dimaboss1 nope.
I also forgot to add that when the "paging file download" in this program exceeds 8 GB, the system writes about the lack of memory, although the RAM is a little more than 5 out of 8

d
dimaboss1_ 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
what the hell, in my witcher the RAM is eating about 5 and the swap file is 7

d
dimaboss1_ 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
what system do you have?

D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22

dimaboss1

s
sti11man 31.05.22

Under the swap file, the consumed RAM + swap file is displayed, as most monitoring programs read it. If an application needs a swap file, it will create one, whether you disable it or not. Most games use it. So a simple advice is to restore the defaults and read less any heresy about the "optimization" of Windows, the system knows better.

D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22

sti11man
So the joke is that the RAM is not full. Yes, and purely logically, 8 GB should be enough for everything, at least for now.

O
Oleg Bervinov 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
for the system to work, a paging file is needed, the OS will write like this until you turn it on. This is the architecture of the OS itself.
If you want to know more, google "working with Windows memory"
for it to work correctly (no matter how much RAM you have), the system should also cache data in the swap file.
In addition, many games require swap to work correctly, without it they will refuse to work.

O
Oleg Bervinov 31.05.22

Destroyer_26
it shouldn't be completely full, I'll even say more, RAM is NEVER completely full (that's what swap is used for), except in cases of memory leaks.

D
Destroyer_26 31.05.22

Oleg Bervinov
I always thought that if there is a lot of RAM, then you need to turn off the swap file so that a faster RAM is used instead. Thanks for the clarification