3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
O
Origami NY 20.08.22 08:52 pm

Lenovo Legion 5 pro very strange situation

Hello. I recently bought a brand new Lenovo Legion 5 pro 2022 laptop. Specifications:
RTX 3070ti
Intel i7- 12700H 2.3 Hz
RAM: 16GB DDR 5
Display: 16” WQXGA (2K) HDR+ 165 Hz
1 terabyte SSD
Windows 11
I launched it for joy, didn’t change anything, didn’t set anything up, only the Lenovo center itself downloaded updates for everything you need, including the BIOS.
I open Aida 64 and see such a picture that the processor temperature jumps from 57 to 90 degrees. From the open browser only. The video card is fine. I launch games (no matter what) and the temperature on the processor jumps from 85 to 107 degrees. On the video card 86/90. I put two more temperature monitoring programs, everywhere the same result. I carried it under warranty to Lenovo. And then the most interesting thing began: They ran diagnostics and said that there was a problem with the video card, like they could not put a driver on it, and in general they would change the entire motherboard to a new one. They put it in and said everything was fine. I came to check, and .. nothing has changed. The processor is warming up and warming up. Launching the browser causes temperature jumps up to 100 degrees.
They took it back for diagnostics, reset the settings to factory settings, ran a couple of tests and said they didn't know what it was. Like this is something software / bios, since everything is fine with hardware. But they do not know what it is, and how to solve it, and they will write to China in the general office.
I'm thinking, what the hell? Is it possible that the official, huge SC cannot cope with this problem? Does anyone have any ideas on this?
PS On Lenovo there is such a Lenovo Bridge program that monitors hardware and programs on devices. So, even before replacing the motherboard, she wrote that the fan could not be found on the device. I reported this the first time, and the second one too, but the SC said that the fans were working. Although this program does not find them, and they are not in the device manager. Help guys, sorry for a lot of letters. Who needs it, there are more screenshots and videos of temperature measurements.
78 Comments
Sort by:
L
Lain Rain 03.09.22

Origami NY
I thought about it and remembered something, in principle, as an option, you can limit the processor frequency through the Windows settings, while you don’t have to completely turn off turbo boost and you can manually select the right balance between temperature and performance.

Spoiler

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Lex-one
Yes, it's much lower there. There with a boost like mine without

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Pirat13666
But why then do others, like reviewers with boost, like me without it now? I have a misery + gunslinger at a maximum of 35 fps, and the percentage is heated up to 80, the video card is also 80

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Lain Rain
So in the end, save some power but reduce heat? I'm a layman in this matter, can you elaborate? And most importantly, is this the norm for this model, or they slipped me a marriage, because I repeat, the motherboard was replaced with a new one from the factory, about the fact that the first one was also new)

P
Pirat13666 03.09.22

Origami NY
The reviewers themselves have a good money turbo boost from the review. So, their honesty is a loose concept. I don't really trust them. https://beltexno.by/catalog/igrovoi-noutbuk-lenovo-legion-7-16-82k60078ru Here is a good balanced laptop. If so, change it to him. Regarding this processor, I am sure that this is not a defect, but insufficiently powerful cooling to cool it under heavy load at high frequencies.

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Pirat13666 Ahahaha
yelled about the boost of reviewers😂 The joke
is that I'm coming from the Lenovo office, they just wrote to China at the main office, and made scans of all the papers that they gave me in the SC. They say that they will "love" the SC and also agree that there are morons, but there is a contract with them.
At the expense of the fact that I have to put up with such a temperature or be without a turbo boost, they also do not agree, they say that it should not be like this, xs to be honest. More confused. Now we need to wait for a response from the Chinese.
All this is strange. With a turbo boost frequency of about 4000, and the laptop lags and tupit, when it turned off 2100 frequencies and the flight is perfect, you can’t even hear the coolers. + Lenovo utility did not find fans when scanning equipment, before replacing the motherboard and after. Although the sound is audible that they work. I also think that this is something software, but I would like to know what. I don’t really want to go for my money to another paid SC.
Can you advise how to set up the processor correctly so that the temperatures are ok, but the boost does not cut?

R
Ryazancev 03.09.22

Origami NY
If the turntables are noisy, that's good. Let's assume that the cooling contact with the chips is also normal. The question is only in the BIOS, which throws on the percent. overvoltage. See if there are new BIOSes on the Lenovo website?
I looked, there is a new BIOS !!! Try to flash.
The situation itself is strange, when the voltage cannot be viewed on the percent.

P
Pirat13666 03.09.22

Origami NY
There is no universal solution here. Often, hardware developers tune their laptops to a productive mode, forgetting about cooling. As I wrote earlier, such processors are very powerful and hot. In terms of cooling, there can be no magic in a small case - this is a maximum of 6 even copper heat pipes, 2 fans and that's it.

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Ryazancev
Just when I turned it on for the first time, there is a type of Lenovo basic program there. She immediately uploaded an update to the BIOS. These mudni in the SC only reset the settings to the factory settings.

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Pirat13666
Maybe there are instructions for this Lenovo or this processor? I don't want to freak out

R
Ryazancev 03.09.22

Origami NY
Latest firmware from August 18th. Try it.

R
Ryazancev 03.09.22

Origami NY
The fact is that I briefly read the review on YouTube and reviews on w3bsit3-dns.com. Everything seems to be smooth there. You should check out the w3bsit3-dns.com forum. Maybe you can help or find a similar problem. My suspicion on the "curve" (raw) BIOS. It’s just that I don’t have the most recent mother (MSI) and there is trouble with BIOSes to this day.

L
Lain Rain 03.09.22

Origami NY
During turbo boost operation, the laptop lags and stutters due to overheating and throttling, in theory, limiting the maximum processor frequency should help solve this problem with the minimum possible loss of performance. Look in my previous message under the video spoiler, it tells in detail what needs to be done. Try limiting the cpu frequency to 3800 MHz or lower. These are still crutches, but still better than turning off turbo boost completely.

As for the marriage - it's definitely not a marriage, rather the shortcomings of the cooling system, which cannot cope with such a hot process, or, as Ryazancev said, it's all about the BIOS and overvoltage.

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Lain Rain
I'll try to update. Does it need to be installed correctly? Or just download the update and run it? And if the first bios was crooked, if you update it will fix the curvature?
Can you provide a link to this 4pda thread?

R
Ryazancev 03.09.22

Origami NY
https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=1016963
You can update the BIOS firmware for everyone. It will probably be more convenient for you with a utility from under Windows. There is an instruction.

L
Len4ik00N 03.09.22

Origami NY
Origami NY wrote:
The funny thing is that I'm going from the Lenovo office, they just wrote to China at the main office, and made scans of all the papers that they gave me in the SC. They say that they will "love" the SC and also agree that there are morons, but there is a contract with them.
Just not the fact that it will somehow help you. The representative office can "thank" the SC, for example, for changing the boards "in any incomprehensible situation" (or pretending to change), and Lenovo has to pay for it. Plus, it’s not known how long to wait for a response from China, and stupid waiting until you have a laptop, and not in repair, is a waste of time (it’s more profitable for the laptop to be in SC and time drips: if it drops to certain deadlines established by law, then there you can already demand an exchange / return from the seller and let him sit together with his SC and wait for a letter, and you will already have another laptop). This is so, for reflection.

z
zPOINTMANz 03.09.22

Len4ik00N
You can pull them up for a fatal defect. Has it been repaired twice? Was. Is there a problem? There is. Take it back, let's get a new one or drive money.

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

zPOINTMANz
So the fact of the matter is that in all their tests he is in perfect condition. I spoke about the return, this is possible after a response from the main ones, then they will send it back to the store.

O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Lain Rain
So after updating the BIOS, everything can return to normal? And how can I adjust the voltage so that it works adequately?

L
Lain Rain 03.09.22

Origami NY
In theory, yes, a bios update can lower temperatures with no or minimal loss of performance. But only if the problem is really in an incorrectly configured voltage from the factory, and not just in poor cooling for a given processor.

There is an option to adjust the voltage manually through the BIOS, but firstly, I'm not really an expert in this, so I won't give advice. Secondly, it's not a fact that such a feature is generally unlocked on your laptop.

The only adequate solution at the moment, as I said, is to limit the frequency through Windows. Without unnecessary troubles and absolutely safe for the system. And then think further, leave it as it is, wait for a response from the Chinese or demand a refund.