3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
O
Origami NY 20.08.22 08:52 pm

Lenovo Legion 5 pro very strange situation

Hello. I recently bought a brand new Lenovo Legion 5 pro 2022 laptop. Specifications:
RTX 3070ti
Intel i7- 12700H 2.3 Hz
RAM: 16GB DDR 5
Display: 16” WQXGA (2K) HDR+ 165 Hz
1 terabyte SSD
Windows 11
I launched it for joy, didn’t change anything, didn’t set anything up, only the Lenovo center itself downloaded updates for everything you need, including the BIOS.
I open Aida 64 and see such a picture that the processor temperature jumps from 57 to 90 degrees. From the open browser only. The video card is fine. I launch games (no matter what) and the temperature on the processor jumps from 85 to 107 degrees. On the video card 86/90. I put two more temperature monitoring programs, everywhere the same result. I carried it under warranty to Lenovo. And then the most interesting thing began: They ran diagnostics and said that there was a problem with the video card, like they could not put a driver on it, and in general they would change the entire motherboard to a new one. They put it in and said everything was fine. I came to check, and .. nothing has changed. The processor is warming up and warming up. Launching the browser causes temperature jumps up to 100 degrees.
They took it back for diagnostics, reset the settings to factory settings, ran a couple of tests and said they didn't know what it was. Like this is something software / bios, since everything is fine with hardware. But they do not know what it is, and how to solve it, and they will write to China in the general office.
I'm thinking, what the hell? Is it possible that the official, huge SC cannot cope with this problem? Does anyone have any ideas on this?
PS On Lenovo there is such a Lenovo Bridge program that monitors hardware and programs on devices. So, even before replacing the motherboard, she wrote that the fan could not be found on the device. I reported this the first time, and the second one too, but the SC said that the fans were working. Although this program does not find them, and they are not in the device manager. Help guys, sorry for a lot of letters. Who needs it, there are more screenshots and videos of temperature measurements.
78 Comments
Sort by:
O
Origami NY 03.09.22

Thanks Ryazance
. On 4pda, they also believe that this is a BIOS. The new version xs how much longer to wait, and you can try to roll back.

R
Ryazancev 03.09.22

Pirat13666
You are a very interesting person. Such a deep conspiracy. I communicate in VK with conspiracy theorists, schizoterics, etc. (we have as many as 2 communities of SEEKERS here). original people. I thought Darpa, but it's like that. We can talk heart to heart :)
But I'm a pedantic literalist and a skeptic :)

L
Len4ik00N 03.09.22

Origami NY
Then good luck to you. Plz write how it ends. If the reason for this behavior of the laptop is known, then it’s generally gorgeous)

m
meikdap 03.09.22

X_ray_83
Strange, here the problem is with thermal pads rather. I have legion with 5600H + 3060 and there are no problems, and legion is considered not a bad option in terms of CO. Well, the percent died initially due to poor application of the chip crystals to the radiator

V
Vindicare 03.09.22

Origami NY wrote:
Thank you. On 4pda, they also believe that this is a BIOS. The new version xs how much longer to wait, and you can try to roll back.
What exactly are they supposed to do to you? Does your laptop work? Works.
Take almost any more or less productive laptop - 90-95 degrees on the processor and / or video card. Your processor has a limit of 100 degrees, it cannot go higher. What 107 shows is already some kind of monitoring problem or is it a reading from some kind of sensor that is not installed inside the crystal itself, but somewhere on the power supply paths and which reacts to any power surge.
And so, I repeat, almost any more or less productive laptop out of the box works in a pre-throttling state, and in the heat it almost always throttles. No one will fix anything for you, because there is nothing to fix. At most, they will limit consumption limits and carry out undervolting, which you yourself can do in the BIOS (if your laptop's BIOS allows it to be done). Regarding the fans, if they didn’t work for you, then the temperatures on the GPU and CPU would be permanently at 100 degrees with fierce friezes in all games.

The fact that your laptop is hoarded in a service center is a banal pulling of the dough from the official Lenovo office. They take out your working iron, change it to exactly the same working one, report on the work done, and what they took out is then sold at the left auction in wholesale lots. The scheme, established decades ago, only received more or less publicity not so long ago due to the boom in sales of video cards in the middle of mining and the appearance of repair bloggers against this background, who began to speak openly about this scheme, telling where some donor spare parts come from.
Simply put, the employees of the SC right now are making money on your laptop, fooling both the Lenovo office and you.
I don’t know German laws, but if it’s possible to return money for a laptop, return it and choose a laptop with more serious cooling and preferably on ryzens, they always lend themselves to undervolting colder. Laptops on top and pre-top intels of the latest generations are fucking boilers that, without setting limits and voltage, start throttling when you just put your finger on the power button.

O
Origami NY 12.09.22

Vindicare
Hello, who will tell you the instructions for undervolting a laptop i7 12700h through ThrottleStop 9.5, it is painfully hot, up to 107 in games.

Found a redit thread (Since the 12th gen H series have the voltages locked, i guess to control the thermals would be tweaking the power limits.
Anybody have recommendations on trying to keep the laptop cool without going overboard on the PL1 and PL2 settings? I am thinking of setting PL1=50, and PL2=75.
I just settled on PL1=45 and PL2=60.)

PP Previously, disabling turbo boost in the power settings reset frequencies from 4500 to 2100 and temperatures, but now disabling the aggressive mode does nothing , frequencies are constantly in games 4500. Why is that?
In general, someone pacified this percentage? Unable to use

O
Origami NY 12.09.22

Pirat13666
Ryazancev
Len4ik00N
Vindicare
Just my case, copied from 4pda. Realistically, how to properly undervolt this percent?

O
Origami NY 12.09.22

spoiler

spoiler

L
Len4ik00N 12.09.22

Origami NY
Origami NY wrote:
Just my case, copied from 4pda. Realistically, how to properly undervolt this percent?
But with a guarantee it didn’t work out at all, or were you tired of waiting and decided to fix other people’s jambs on your own?

O
Origami NY 12.09.22

Len4ik00N
I moved to another country and now I need a new

L
Len4ik00N 12.09.22

Origami NY
Now, as it were, the 21st century is in the yard - you can get a decision from the manufacturer in another country (if the branch in Germany really wrote to the factory on your question). If it also has a Lenovo representative office, then it’s generally good.
Regarding the undervolting of a laptop processor: in principle, as with the undervolting of other hardware, other people's values ​​are far from always suitable, so finding specific numbers and setting them in your own is most likely not a ride. And the most unpleasant thing is that laptops have always been deprived, in terms of the number of settings, in comparison with desktop PCs, and for some time now Intel has limited the ability to adjust voltages for the sake of security (I don’t remember exactly from which generation, but your The percentage is quite new, so it probably also fell under restrictions), so fixing the situation with your laptop by digging into the settings will not be much easier than solving the issue through fussing with a guarantee. The option to stupidly cut the performance so that it doesn’t get so warm, I don’t take it into account.

T
TGR1500 12.09.22

Origami NY
Temperatures are prohibitively high for normal office work. The point is most likely in the cooling system - insufficient pressure and contact with the chips, perhaps it was initially curved or poorly installed.

There is also effective thermal paste, but specific

. And perhaps the matter is in the incorrect operation of the power profiles.

What can be done before the next appeal to the SC or before climbing under the lid?
1. For prevention, install the latest version of bios j2cn43ww and reset it to factory settings
2. Reinstall the Lenovo Energy Management driver and Lenovo power profiles
3. Update vBios

4. If it does not help , then you need to download the factory recovery image and reinstall the system from it https://w3bsit3-dns.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1010913&view=findpost&p=104934624 change thermal pads, or give it to the service.
Great laptop guide here
https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/lenovo-legion-5-pro-legion-7-optimierung-ram-overclocking-undervolting-repaste-mods.1305245/
And there is a lot of information and useful links https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?act=findpost&pid=106359562&anchor=Spoil-106359562-11

T
TGR1500 12.09.22

Additional ways to lower temperatures in games without opening the patient:
1. The Legion Fan Control program allows you to adjust the fan curve and set them to maximum speed https://www.legionfancontrol.com/
Spoiler
2. Good stand IETS GT500 in action

It will be noisy, but effective . And one more important point, especially for this series, the higher the case is raised above the surface, the more efficient the cooling will be.

O
Origami NY 12.09.22

TGR1500
Thank you. But will it come out through ThrottleStop to cut the voltage? I know that i7 12700h is locked, but I saw how LP1 & LP2 are edited through this program, I just don't know what values ​​to specify. In addition, it’s a strange situation, I turned off the turbo boost, but only in Fallout 4, the percent works at a base 2600 Hz and does not heat up more than 85, in other games like Far Cry 4 and The Witcher 3, the percent plows for the life of me at 4090 Hz (boosted)
. forced to be at 2600 hertz in any game, then something changed.
I was in the service twice, Lenovo replaced the motherboard and checked the cooling system. They think it's a software problem. I updated the BIOS but nothing has changed. Now I have moved very far and here Lenovo is slow to respond. I wrote to Intel and am waiting for their response. This is really some kind of software game. I would at least cut the frequencies for a while, or turn off the turbo boost for real. There are no such parameters in the BIOS, and there is also no function for selecting the power of coolers. Although on previous Legion models they were

T
TGR1500 09.10.22

Origami NY
As already mentioned above, probably nothing was actually done in the service. It is useless to write to Intel. Advanced bios parameters are blocked, there seems to be no unlocked one, undervolt is not yet possible.
If these are really problems with the software, then they are solved by reinstalling and configuring the software. I threw off the program for setting the speed of the coolers above. If quiet (blue) mode is activated by Fn + Q, and the processor consumption is high, then you need to reinstall the Lenovo Energy Management driver and Legion Powerprofile profiles. The problem with power profiles is not uncommon, in the German guide that I threw off, there is a section dedicated to this.
Reinstalling the system from the factory image may also work, judging by the forums, it often saves in a variety of cases.
If you just need to cut the frequencies, then in the same ThrottleStop you can lower the processor multiplier by the value that suits you. ThrottleStop itself must be configured to autoload.
Spoiler
or activate Disable Turbo
Spoiler

T
TGR1500 09.10.22

If I were you, I would generally start with restoring the factory image, and if after that the problem with consumption and temperatures is not resolved, then return it and buy it on ryzen. With a slight loss in performance, they are less chewy, as a result of temperature and noise are lower, autonomy is higher.

I
Igor Gad 16.11.22

I don't understand, why are you torturing yourself? Hand over the laptop, take the money. But still as a variant at you the trojan sits. I read somewhere that some batch of laptops from Lenovo left the factory with a virus ... also try restoring system files via the command line.

T
Trololosha Intropruf 20.01.23

Origami NY
I have a similar apparatus. I didn’t see a temperature above 85 degrees (and this is at the time of loading, and then again my 60-65 on average) something tells me that your thermal interface suffered during transportation and somewhere it’s just bent cooling from which it doesn’t allow it to cool fine. I have been using it since August and so far I have not come across a single problem. And let them change the goods for you. The jamb is not from your side after all)