3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
R
Riddick00x 13.10.22 11:22 pm

Tips for optimizing the game, on laptops, computers (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Here I created a theme after a little testing of the game, + overclocked the video card.
I tested the first missions, after training, when I left the tavern in the village. (The cities are far away, so I don’t know if it will be there)
I also didn’t get to the dynamic moments of the game, so there will probably be big drawdowns.
So. My laptop is G750JX,
CPU: i7-4700, 3.4 Ghz
GPU: GTX 770M (797-862hz)
Ram: 16GB.
Screen 17.3 "(1920x1080)
Without overclocking, the game at different settings produces from 20-40 frames (with an unlocked frame rate).
So what I noticed.
You can play with the native screen resolution (1920x1080) The frame rate will approximately drop from 5-10 fps, but for more comfort, if you have a screen resolution, it is better to lower it to 1600x900.
The main thing that eats up the frame rate is this.
Vegetation rendering distance. (5-10 frames)
Nvidia's hair drawing. (100%) devouring video memory
Number of visible characters
The quality of the relief from 5 or more frames.
For a more or less comfortable game on laptops and older computers.
1. It is better to immediately lock the frame rate at 30 fps. This will save you from twitching, friezes and it will be more comfortable to play.
2. Just immediately set the "vegetation rendering distance" to a minimum, this will increase the frame rate to a bold 30 frames, for me it raised the frame rate at high settings right up to 30 frames.
3. Just put the water quality and shadow quality on low settings. Since if you suddenly decide to "swim" then when Geralt floats up, then due to splashes from the water, the frequency will drop to 20 frames stably.
And so the game, which is the most interesting thing, did not fall below 20 frames, which is very good and perhaps future patches will correct the situation.
After overclocking, overclock 200Hz from 762 to 900Hz. The number of frames increased by about 10 frames or more, and it would be stable to play either at a setting locked at 30 frames or go to 60 frames, although at 60 frames friezes are visible when textures change from FHD to HD (if I noticed correctly).
I repeat: I did not get to the dynamic moments and cities, there I did not measure the frame rate.
Lay out those settings that, in your opinion, increase or decrease the frame rate the most.
I myself am still playing on medium-high settings, I think to leave the native resolution.
High settings on character textures, the rest is medium, low shadows and water settings, grass draw distance is low + all additional settings "glow, anti-aliasing", etc. except for the nvidian add-on are included.
26 Comments
Sort by:
Z
Zenux 13.10.22

...It's better to immediately lock the frame rate at 30 fps. This will save you from jerking, friezes and it will be more comfortable to play ... - I did it myself, the first game where everything is perfectly smooth at 30.

On my config:
Vegetation rendering distance: Ultra -> High = +10-12 frames.
Nvidia hair rendering: Geralt = -10-15 fps.
Optimization is just buzzing, vidyuha is always loaded at 99%.

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

Zenux
You have a 780 video card, stationary, I have a 770M mobile one, the range of vegetation drawing affects the number of frames, it is even more noticeable than the quality of the shadows and the quality of the water.
About optimization here is a delicate matter, I think a couple more patches will fix the matter, optimization will be better.

D
Dark_AssassinUA 13.10.22

Zenux
Riddick00x Filled
especially for you.
Stationary: Intel Core I7-3770K, Nvidia GTX780, 16 RAM
Notebook HP Pavilion 15: Intel Core I5-4200U, Nvidia GT740M, 8 RAM
Really, such junk. I'm going to throw it away right now.

s
st029 13.10.22

I found something strange on my config - 16 fps on all starting videos and in the menu. I was very upset, I started playing everything on low lowered. 30fps locked. Raised to high - sags up to 26 somewhere.
Who faced? why do the rollers slow down?

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

Dark_AssassinUA
Why not just 980 titanium? And Alienware 18 "? It
's just funny that I can't, I made it fun.
Actually, the question is, then why go on the topic and crap? From a big mind? Or are you such an "expert" to crap in the forums, although this is how it is, an expert in crap forums .

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

st029 Turn
on or turn off vertical synchronization, and naturally turn off the rendering of hair.

D
Dark_AssassinUA 13.10.22

Riddick00x
Why so much bile? I'm not telling you that I hardly believe that you have ASUS G750JX
Quite a real config that is at home.
>then why come on topic and shit?
Your post explaining how to run on buckets was too obvious. And running anything on a laptop is tantamount to madness.
I advise you to look into the topic 'Config for weak PCs'
Whatever you think that I'm 'littering' the forum.

A
Auto Surgut 13.10.22

Increased paging file - increased FPS

s
st029 13.10.22

Riddick00x
In the game, I seem to find the appropriate settings. And the rollers lag regardless of "low" or "outrageous". It's not bad, of course, but it's annoying.

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

Dark_AssassinUA
Gaming laptops overclock and it's very normal and not suicidal, because gaming laptops have built-in turbo boost 2.0 technology. which itself programmatically increases the frequency of the video card when loaded, and you can also raise the frequency of the video card yourself, if necessary, read the MSI forums on overclocking laptops, there are worse overclockers.
In the topic "Config for weak PCs" there is an insufficient description of the topic.

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

st029
well, it's a cut scene anyway, so give it a try.

D
Dark_AssassinUA 13.10.22

Riddick00x
You should still be more careful, because the laptop is not cheap.
If the grass in the config is disabled / reduced, then the FPS immediately rises.

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

Dark_AssassinUA
Well, of course, I overclocked it for myself to make sure of the capabilities of the video card, in any case, the frequency rises automatically in all GTX lines, namely the turbo boost function.
And about the grass, it does not affect the frame rate as much as the range of vegetation, or, for example, the quality of the water, and what to do without nvidia lotions, they 100% eat the frame rate.

Z
Zenux 13.10.22

Let's not offtopic.

D
Dark_AssassinUA 13.10.22

Riddick00x Hairworks
eats almost no FPS if you disable Hairworks anti-aliasing via config.

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

Dark_AssassinUA
What's the point then? It's easier to completely turn off the rendering of hair, since this idea has not gained momentum even in the latest Lariska.
Off topic:
Yes, and what is most surprising in my opinion is that even at high settings with native resolution, the graphics did not become better than The Witcher 2, in my opinion, on the contrary.
But such performance problems are only due to the fact that the developers abandoned the locations. Which, in turn, affected everything, if the game was divided into locations, I think everyone would have the game on medium-high settings, stable without dancing with a tambourine.
On the subject:
But the range of drawing vegetation is still a priority.
Regarding the increase in the paging file, As I said, for owners of discrete video cards and 16GB of RAM, changing the paging file does not play a role

D
Dark_AssassinUA 13.10.22

Riddick00x
Most likely the Poles can't optimize

T
THOR_MSI 13.10.22

Tested on the laptop that is in the signature. First of all, you need to disable NVIDIA HaireWorks, the increase in FPS is decent, in my case, at high fps without smoothing and blurring, it increased from 30-35 to 50-55 =)))

A
Auto Surgut 13.10.22

Riddick00x
changing the swap file worked for me

R
Riddick00x 13.10.22

Judging from everything that has been read and carried out by setting up graphics in The Witcher 3, and from the comments that have been read - tips, we can draw the following conclusions to improve performance.
1. Disable hair rendering. 100% frame rate depletion
2. Disable diffuse glow. 100% framerate gobble up.
3. An important point, set the "vegetation rendering distance" to a low setting (increase of 10 frames or more)
4. Lock the game for 30 frames. (there will be no increase, but the game will be more stable in terms of graphics, the picture will be smoother)
3. Disable anti-aliasing (5-10 increase) if desired.
4. Disable additional settings (growth of 5-10 frames) if desired, but don't expect a very large increase.
7. Screen resolution, this is your discretion, I have a native resolution of 1920x1080, I can play with this resolution, the frame rate will vary from 20-25 in the village, at 1600x900 27-30 is stable.
8. A controversial point, this is the amount of grass, I personally did not turn the graphics, and especially this setting, the frame rate changed to 5 frames in the aisles of medium - high settings.
9. Shadows - there is no difference between medium and high, even in terms of frame rate.
10. Water quality. Affects if you are near the water, also a controversial point, the difference is only if you swim. I checked about 5-10 frames within medium-high settings.
11. The quality of the textures is set to high, the quality of the details too, a maximum of + 5-10 frames increase at low settings.
12. The number of visible characters only affects the texts that are displayed above the characters, the impact on the frame rate did not notice high-low differences, but in theory +5 frames will increase at low settings.
13. Install the patch of the first day 1.02
Dancing with a tambourine.
Swap file - increasing helps those who have less than 16 GB of RAM, and an integrated video card, either discrete 1-2 GB or less.
User
BW_Faceless post above, gave a description of what to change in the config files.
Basically, these are settings for buildings, trees, textures, shadows from them, etc., glow, reflection, etc.
I have not tested this option, but judging by the configuration set, it will probably return you to the graphics of The Witcher 1.
But the gain will be in the frame rate will be seen
BEST BEFORE CARRYING OUT THIS MANIPULATION, CREATE COPIES OF THESE FILES
User:
sashkaryzhik Advises
the following manipulation.
do not forget to create copies of the modified files before such manipulations.
I quote:
"Climbed through notepad to the file: DocumentsThe Witcher 3user. In the column [Rendering/SpeedTree] changed all values ​​to 0 :
GrassGenerati0
GrassDistanceScale=0
FoliageDistanceScale=0
FoliageShadowDistanceScale=0
GrassRingSize=0. And damn it, the game worked, with a creak, at low settings, but quite playable, fps of stable 30 frames, sags at least up to 27. In short, if anyone can help, I will be glad. The game is just cool. I did not regret that I bought it."
User:
Dark_AssassinUA
Advised the following
Do not forget to create copies of modified files before such manipulations. I
quote:
Open the user.settings file with Notepad or Notepad ++ and reduce the values.

These are still the main tips on how to increase the frame rate and what parameters are the most affect the frame rate, there will be something new, the branch will be updated, and so add your tips for improving graphics.