3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
StormX07 21.10.22 12:07 pm

Steam - downloads \"Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime\" What is it, how to remove it?

Runtime - Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime
What is it, how do I remove it now?

I noticed that Steam downloads this crap.
After a while, it appears on a new one !!!
9 Comments
Sort by:
V
Vindicare 21.10.22

Steam needs this thing for the normal operation of the Steam browser. In general, you should already have this thing pre-installed in Windows 10 and higher and, obviously, you don’t need to remove it, since it will be installed back if some kind of program is needed.
https://mywebpc.ru/windows/microsoft-edge-webview2-runtime/

S
SonyK_2 21.10.22

StormX07
StormX07 wrote:
...Notice that Steam is loading this x...
I had a similar experience. To one MMO-shke (working through Steam), at some point, the developers apparently also decided to "stick" something like that. Once after some update of the game I launch it, and the firewall signals that this nonsense is trying to connect to the network, apparently to download its game. Blocked her access to the network, got an error and could not download. Then, according to the error window, I deleted the file embedded in the game client to download this heresy - for some time, every time I started, I got an error that it could not download, but the game also worked. Then, apparently, the players raised the srach and the developers (at first sold to small-soft ones) removed it from the game. Perhaps now they are trying to download through some other.

Vindicare wrote:
Steam needs this thing for the normal operation of the browser ...
It's all nonsense - on my 7-ke Steam works without it, despite the fact that there is not a single browser on chromium in the system, including Edge.

V
Vindicare 21.10.22

SonyK_2 wrote:
on my 7-ke
7 has not been supported for a long time and WebView2 can only be installed there manually. In Windows 10, it began to be built in from ~ the year before last, and in Windows 11 it can no longer be removed. Starting with Windows 10, applications will install WebView2 themselves if they need it for all functions to work. I remember how slow the Steam browser was before the introduction of WebView2. Right now, of course, is also not the ideal speed, but a little better.

S
SonyK_2 21.10.22

Vindicare
Vindicare wrote:
...Starting with Windows 10, applications will install WebView2 themselves if they need it for all functionality to work... independent of browsers, it's a standalone application.
The soft ones are imposing their next "innovation", which they used to do without ... :(
Spoiler
... I remember how slow shit the Steam browser was before the introduction of WebView2. Right now, of course, it's also not ideal speed, but it's a bit better.
I don't know how it is now Steam works on 10-ke, when the OS "tested" it in 2015, it did not install it, but on 7-ke I did not notice any special differences in the speed of work.

V
Vindicare 21.10.22

SonyK_2
This environment simplifies the work of developers, unifies and optimizes the addition and display of web content in applications, so in general a useful thing for everyone. Initially, it was generally a tool not from small software, but from third-party developers. Everyone just liked it and decided to implement it in Windows. Only software developers decide whether to work with it or not, and this environment is launched only if some program needs it.

S
StormX07 21.10.22

SonyK_2 wrote:
the firewall signalizes that this nonsense is trying to connect to the network, apparently to download its game. Blocked her access to the network, got an error and could not download.
And it is possible more in detail.
I would also block
I do not like when without my knowledge and what to boot.

this eternal war. Me and Windows 10, how tired of all this

S
SonyK_2 21.10.22

The Vindicare
Vindicare wrote:
...the environment makes things easier for developers, unifies and streamlines the addition and display of web content in applications, so overall a useful thing for everyone. Initially, it was generally a tool not from small software, but from third-party developers. Everyone just liked it and decided to implement it in Windows.
It may be useful, but it reminds me of the moments when in my 7th some software forcibly tried to launch Internet Explorer (which I immediately delete after installing the OS), despite the fact that another browser and all normal programs were already installed by default /games opened links in it.
I don't like it when users are forced to do something. First, a "convenient" development environment, then, for example, they will begin to force their Office into the OS, because it is "more convenient" (I myself use a free third-party one).

StormX07
StormX07 wrote: Could
you be more detailed... I would like to block this crap too... I don't like when without my knowledge and what to boot.
I have a third-party firewall that is configured to warn me when something enters the network and show me a window asking what to do about it - allow / partially allow (only outgoing requests) / block this request, or completely block access to the network of this game / program.
... eternal war. Me and Windows 10
Unfortunately every year they try to impose more and more... :(

V
Vindicare 21.10.22

SonyK_2 wrote:
I don't like it when users are forced to do something.
This convenience is not for users, but for developers. It's just the same runtime as visual c++ or net framework. Now the developers of software that works with webview2 are forced to add the installer of this webview2 to the installers of their software, just in case the user does not have it. In order to save developers from such a need, they began to sew webview2 directly into Windows. In fact, this is already a common standard for all developers, there is no escape from this, and there is no point in this.

S
SonyK_2 21.10.22

Vindicare
Vindicare wrote:
...convenience not for users, but for developers... the same runtime environment as visual c++ or net framework... there is no escape from this and there is no point in it.
While something necessary will not necessarily require the installation of this "execution environment" in 7-ku - there is no desire to put it.