3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Alexey Heizenberg 09.05.23 07:26 am

How do you feel about old games?

It's interesting to hear people's opinions on this. What do you think, is it worth wasting time on old platforms and games or there are so many new games coming out now that there is no time and desire for them? And another interesting point - do you play the first game of any major series (for example, Tomb Raider, The Elder Scrolls), before passing the new ones, or immediately proceed to their modern versions? Thanks in advance.

363 Comments
Sort by:
l
litrsmethane 09.05.23

Similar to the new ones, if the game is good it's good, if it's bad it's bad, it's simple

y
yariko.v 09.05.23

I have a very positive attitude towards old toys. Many old games are no less interesting than the new ones.
E.g., Longest journey, Dreamfall longest journey, Space Rangers, Hitman Contracts.
Not for nothing are some old games re-released at different times for new platforms.
E.g., The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was released in 2006 and re-released several times.
You can list them a lot, but you better play...

Spoiler

The more so because the old games are less demanding for the video card, they run well on a GF9800 for example.

y
yariko.v 09.05.23

I have a very positive attitude towards old toys. Many old games are no less interesting than the new ones.
E.g., Longest journey, Dreamfall longest journey, Space Rangers, Hitman Contracts.
Not for nothing are some old games re-released at different times for new platforms.
E.g., The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky was released in 2006 and re-released several times.
You can list them a lot, but you better play...

Spoiler

The more so because the old games are less demanding for the video card, they run well on a GF9800 for example.

N
Nvidia VS Amd 09.05.23

Super excellent and extremely respectful

N
Nvidia VS Amd 09.05.23

Super excellent and extremely respectful

V
VICH68 09.05.23

Positively, Dungeon Keeper, FEAR, No One Lives Forever, Chaser, TimeShift, StarCraft, Stronghold I play them more often than novelties)

G
Gauguin 09.05.23

Have a good attitude, but within reason, trying to remove the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. Let's be honest, a lot of the old games are inferior to the new ones in technical aspects, storytelling, etc. In many ways, games are getting better. An old game, that is relevant and good nowadays - it's rather the exception than the rule, but we have to admit, these exceptions are all worth their weight in gold.
Well, in the old days, as well as now there was a lot of crap.

P.S. It's like a theme about old games, but in the preview HL2. The very old, yes...

P.S. like the topic of old games, but in the preview of HL2.

V
VICH68 09.05.23

Positively, Dungeon Keeper, FEAR, No One Lives Forever, Chaser, TimeShift, StarCraft, Stronghold I play them more often than novelties)

C
Cvoxalury 09.05.23

I'm surprised in this thread what some users criteria for old and new games.
"Yes, I love old games, I played New Vegas and Stalker"
"I play old games regularly!

Krizis, the series, was called old.

I don't feel like that at all.

For me old games are from the 90s, when the biggest and the most famous series were started. I'm very clichéd now to name the series that I myself consider big and famous, that is Fallout (1997), Quake (1996), XL (1998), Anril (1997), old NFS, it's all the second half of the 90s. Games older than them, such as Doom, Wolfenstein, the first parts of TEC, you can not run just without emulators. I'd classify those as retro games, including everything before that. (dude, who above said that Doom and Fallout are newfangled games, go fuck yourself.)

Then, in the 2000s, these series blossomed with sequels: HL2 in 2004 and until 2007 (and then died. No more. No more), Fallout fell into a coma for 10 years but returned in Fallout 3, of course several TEC and GTA games came out... so on and so forth. So, everything since about 2003 I consider modern. But for convenience we can say that since 2000 is modern.

Well everything since 2010 is already new games. Including the sequels of these series.

Certainly sometimes there are overlaps, such as FNV 2010, but technically it's the same Fallout 3, engine and all that. But still. Stop calling Stalker or ME or GTA4 or Krysis old games, please!

And that's not even touching all the technical issues... a game can't be old if it's on Direct 9, well.

C
Cvoxalury 09.05.23

I'm surprised in this thread what some users criteria for old and new games.
"Yes, I love old games, I played New Vegas and Stalker"
"I play old games regularly!

Krizis, the series, was called old.

I don't feel like that at all.

For me old games are from the 90s, when the biggest and the most famous series were started. I'm very clichéd now to name the series that I myself consider big and famous, that is Fallout (1997), Quake (1996), XL (1998), Anril (1997), old NFS, it's all the second half of the 90s. Games older than them, such as Doom, Wolfenstein, the first parts of TEC, you can not run just without emulators. I'd classify those as retro games, including everything before that. (dude, who above said that Doom and Fallout are newfangled games, go fuck yourself.)

Then, in the 2000s, these series blossomed with sequels: HL2 in 2004 and until 2007 (and then died. No more. No more), Fallout fell into a coma for 10 years but returned in Fallout 3, of course several TEC and GTA games came out... so on and so forth. So, everything since about 2003 I consider modern. But for convenience we can say that since 2000 is modern.

Well everything since 2010 is already new games. Including the sequels of these series.

Certainly sometimes there are overlaps, such as FNV 2010, but technically it's the same Fallout 3, engine and all that. But still. Stop calling Stalker or ME or GTA4 or Krysis old games, please!

And that's not even touching all the technical issues... a game can't be old if it's on Direct 9, well.

b
barr1 09.05.23

Cvoxalury
for me the old game is Gata 4

b
barr1 09.05.23

Cvoxalury
for me the old game is Gata 4

G
Gauguin 09.05.23

Objectively, as actually to the new ones.

G
Gauguin 09.05.23

Objectively, as actually to the new ones.

I
Int0xicate 09.05.23

I play old games. Games are coming out less often now, and I'm hardly interested in anything new anymore. Almost all of my favorite game series have already fallen into a miserable conveyor belt or on the verge of it. After the announcement of any long-awaited game I stopped feeding myself with hopes and desires.
I used to treat games easier, publishers and developers do not drive the conveyor. And at that time there were a lot of good projects. Go back ten years. Remember 2008. How many masterpieces was...

Nowadays the total casualness, monetization, the parade of mummery skins, girls inappropriate - it's all very depressing. But you'll have to get used to it anyway, because it won't be like before, unfortunately.

I
Int0xicate 09.05.23

I play old games. Games are coming out less often now, and I'm hardly interested in anything new anymore. Almost all of my favorite game series have already fallen into a miserable conveyor belt or on the verge of it. After the announcement of any long-awaited game I stopped feeding myself with hopes and desires.
I used to treat games easier, publishers and developers do not drive the conveyor. And at that time there were a lot of good projects. Go back ten years. Remember 2008. How many masterpieces was...

Nowadays the total casualness, monetization, the parade of mummery skins, girls inappropriate - it's all very depressing. But you'll have to get used to it anyway, because it won't be like before, unfortunately.

M
MunchkiN 616 09.05.23

Possible to play old games for the sake of their game themes.
Possible for the sake of research gastronomic interests
replay games bygone played I do not see the sense, but out of nostalgia can
As for dating series with first stories - depends on how outdated the game within the established understanding of modern games and within the series itself. as an example, play gta 1-2 as that stankovato and in the subsequent series I played in my time. similarly westerland 1 and 2 peck-peck. the first one I do not see the sense of playing in the second one too, etc. in elder scrolls those before morrowind I was trying to play for a while in the 2005 Edok in the other do not feel like returning.
general situation can be characterized as follows: old games are good, but tasting new and fresh games to play them will not be so nice as could be.

M
MunchkiN 616 09.05.23

Possible to play old games for the sake of their game themes.
Possible for the sake of research gastronomic interests
replay games bygone played I do not see the sense, but out of nostalgia can
As for dating series with first stories - depends on how outdated the game within the established understanding of modern games and within the series itself. as an example, play gta 1-2 as that stankovato and in the subsequent series I played in my time. similarly westerland 1 and 2 peck-peck. the first one I do not see the sense of playing in the second one too, etc. in elder scrolls those before morrowind I was trying to play for a while in the 2005 Edok in the other do not feel like returning.
general situation can be characterized as follows: old games are good, but tasting new and fresh games to play them will not be so nice as could be.

L
L303 09.05.23

Warmth

L
L303 09.05.23

Warmth