3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Alexey Heizenberg 09.05.23 07:26 am

How do you feel about old games?

It's interesting to hear people's opinions on this. What do you think, is it worth wasting time on old platforms and games or there are so many new games coming out now that there is no time and desire for them? And another interesting point - do you play the first game of any major series (for example, Tomb Raider, The Elder Scrolls), before passing the new ones, or immediately proceed to their modern versions? Thanks in advance.

363 Comments
Sort by:
C
Cvoxalury 09.05.23

They deserve respect for their achievements "by the standards of their time," but as a rule, modern ones surpass and bypass them in about the same way that a man in development bypasses a flatworm. And the public is no longer so easily influenced by glamour, hype, and promises. For example, compare HL2 and the new Prey. Compare the atmospheric but primitive Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

Now everything is so polished, studied, optimized, adjusted interaction and development, that... Well, of course we should expect the new games to be richer, more beautiful, more interesting and more convenient than the old ones. Old games from a time when they hadn't developed user-friendly controls yet? Very interesting, but thanks, no. Or games when developers had to squeeze in a 256-color palette and code games to unpredictable specifications of individual video chips, and the story was put in a text file in the installer folder.

It's sometimes interesting to watch "what it was like", for example I passed Anril 1 for the first time this year.

I think no one would argue that nowadays life is better than in the Middle Ages or antiquity, and that doesn't negate the achievements of the past. It's the same with games.

C
Cvoxalury 09.05.23

They deserve respect for their achievements "by the standards of their time," but as a rule, modern ones surpass and bypass them in about the same way that man in development bypasses the flatworm. And the public is no longer so easily influenced by glamour, hype, and promises. For example, compare HL2 and the new Prey. Compare the atmospheric but primitive Fallout 1 and New Vegas.

Now everything is so polished, studied, optimized, adjusted interaction and development, that... Well, of course we should expect the new games to be richer, more beautiful, more interesting and more convenient than the old ones. Old games from a time when they hadn't developed user-friendly controls yet? Very interesting, but thanks, no. Or games when developers had to shrink into a 256-color palette and code games to unpredictable specifications of individual video chips, and the story was put in a text file in the installer folder.

It's sometimes interesting to watch "what it was like", for example I passed Anril 1 for the first time this year.

I think no one would argue that nowadays we live better than in the Middle Ages or antiquity, and that doesn't negate the achievements of the past. It's the same with games.

F
Fowime 09.05.23

There are old games that carry the best of the gaming industry. Morrowind, C.S 1.6, Fallout 1,2. But as I noticed, chanting many games of antiquity I tried to go back and just did not roll in, so a large element of nostalgia is present, which you know greatly affects the opinion of oldfags, which is why I consider them prejudiced. I've been playing since Dendy and Sega, PSX,PS2 and so on. How many times have not run Morrowind, after Scurim is very difficult to feel the atmosphere that the game gave back in 2004 (for me).

F
Fowime 09.05.23

There are old games that carry the best of the gaming industry. Morrowind, C.S 1.6, Fallout 1,2. But as I noticed, chanting many games of antiquity I tried to go back and just did not roll in, so a large element of nostalgia is present, which you know greatly affects the opinion of oldfags, which is why I consider them biased. I've been playing since Dendy and Sega, PSX,PS2 and so on. How many times have not run Morrowind, after Scurim is very difficult to feel the atmosphere that the game gave back in 2004 (for me).

m
man with a machine gun. 09.05.23

Every positively. But you have to understand that if you played the game as a child - it's already overrated. Nostalgia is a strong thing. Many old games are banal outdated, it should be taken as a fact, and it's not about the grapho, we are talking primarily about the story and gameplay. Sure, at one time they were breakthrough and all that, but that was a long time ago. But oldfags don't understand this, if you so much as touch their favorite childhood game saying "Well there's like a dialogue and in 1999 was shit", they will tear you to shreds calling you a schoolboy and nothing can be proved to them.
And the games - it's always a matter of taste. For example, in 2015 I absolutely disliked the first FEAR, but at the same time I couldn't tear myself away from Return to Castle Wolfenstein a year later.

I don't like it.

m
man with a machine gun. 09.05.23

Every positively. But you have to understand that if you played the game as a child - it's already overrated. Nostalgia is a strong thing. Many old games are banal outdated, it should be taken as a fact, and it's not about the grapho, we are talking primarily about the story and gameplay. Sure, at one time they were breakthrough and all that, but that was a long time ago. But oldfags don't understand this, if you so much as touch their favorite childhood game saying "Well there's like a dialogue and in 1999 was shit", they will tear you to shreds calling you a schoolboy and nothing can be proved to them.
And the games - it's always a matter of taste. For example, in 2015 I absolutely disliked the first FEAR, but at the same time I couldn't tear myself away from Return to Castle Wolfenstein a year later.

I don't like it.

c
cmath 09.05.23

Quake, starcraft, warcraft, cossacks, age of empire, need for speed underground, first dune, civilization 4, diablo god how happy I am to have played them.

c
cmath 09.05.23

Quake, starcraft, warcraft, cossacks, age of empire, need for speed underground, first dune, civilization 4, diablo god how happy I am to have played them.

S
Sinuke 09.05.23

Positively. and periodically buying into my collection. today Icewind Dale and Beyond Goof and Evil were purchased...

S
Sinuke 09.05.23

Positively. and periodically buying into my collection. today Icewind Dale and Beyond Goof and Evil were purchased...

F
Fildon 09.05.23

How do you remember the old Harry Potters, Saffering, Obscur, Bloodrain, Coldfire, NFSU1, catwoman, when to rerun them?
I never got past Anabiosis the dream of reason and Dungeon Watchmen.
But recently rerun Stalkers, hl1 and hl2 cinematic 2013, normal mods with atmosphere. Timeshift.
Other games I would like to pass are made for dos or run in the window. Cyberia 1994 or Morrowind. Warcraft 1,2.
I recently found this) mod for MK3. https://gamejolt.com/games/MKDE/84520

F
Fildon 09.05.23

How do you remember the old Harry Potters, Saffering, Obscur, Bloodrain, Coldfire, NFSU1, catwoman, when to rerun them?
I never got past Anabiosis the Dream of Mind and Dungeon Watchmen.
But recently rerun Stalkers, hl1 and hl2 cinematic 2013, normal mods with atmosphere. Timeshift.
Other games I would like to pass are made for dos or run in the window. Cyberia 1994 or Morrowind. Warcraft 1,2.
I recently found this) mod for MK3. https://gamejolt.com/games/MKDE/84520

M
MegaMorpeh 09.05.23

I mostly only play older games, but that doesn't mean I don't play any of the new ones, and it doesn't mean I don't respect them.

M
MegaMorpeh 09.05.23

I mostly only play older games, but that doesn't mean I don't play any of the new ones, and it doesn't mean I don't respect them.

N
NIKAS13 09.05.23

I compare computer games with the biological development of organisms on the planet, first there were the simplest, a stick and a ball, then a variety of shapes and sizes. Games are getting more complicated, even their dinosaurs are (Diablo for example), in general, the game is old is a relative concept. Everyone has memories of each game, both good and then the old game was good, and bad and then a good game becomes bad. every time)
The only thing that amazed me in today's games is a degradator games - minkraft. when i saw it i shuddered. (I've never seen more squalor).

N
NIKAS13 09.05.23

I compare computer games to the biological development of organisms on the planet, first there were the simplest, a stick and a ball, then a variety of shapes and sizes. Games are getting more complicated, even their dinosaurs are (Diablo for example), in general, the game is old is a relative concept. Everyone has memories of each game, both good and then the old game was good, and bad and then a good game becomes bad. everything happens))
The only thing that amazed me in today's games is a degradator games - minkraft. when i saw it i shuddered. (I've never seen more squalor).

a
aka_sector 09.05.23

Our everything

a
aka_sector 09.05.23

Our everything

O
Ophelios 09.05.23

Sometimes I play PS1-2 and KOTOR emulators

O
Ophelios 09.05.23

Sometimes I play PS1-2 and KOTOR emulators