3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
Dogmit 13.09.19 10:59 pm

Games with deep philosophical meaning?

Are there any games that were ground for analysis from the standpoint of philosophy, psychology, symbolism, etc.?
17 Comments
Sort by:
M
MiamiBassMachine 12.07.21

Standard List:
Dear Esther
Portal 2
To the Moon
Mor, Utopia.
Turgor
Mhakna Gramura and Fairy Bell and other short stories, now I don't remember the name

G
Gauguin 12.07.21

There are not so many such films, let alone games. Although there are certainly claims, they are often unjustified.

S
Stanislavich 12.07.21

If you think about it, then there is a series of DS games, as well as Bloodbourne.
There is also Horaisen, Automata. These are games with strong connotations when viewed globally. There's a lot to learn there. what to think about and what to analyze. There are many lore psychological and philosophical moments (in
fact, as in the DS series). There is also Senua, this is a game about psychology and perception.
You can also Add FEAR and Dead Space, there is little psychology, but a lot of occultism and changes in consciousness.
Also Bioshock, Prey.

In general, you can collect a sufficient number of games, like movies. For example, the Outpost recently came out, which just raised critical psychological issues and entities.

T
Tula Potsik 12.07.21

Spec ops the line

K
Kamred 12.07.21

Stanislavich wrote:
If you think about it, there is a series of DS games, as well as Bloodbourne.
Where did you see the deep philosophical meaning there?

S
Stinger_Max 12.07.21

The Talos Principle doesn't throw deep thoughts in your face. There you only indirectly come to all kinds of conclusions through the narrative. Actually a bombing game. Doesn't force you to fly into the thick of events, but simply gives you worlds in which you slowly go through puzzles. And how great are the magnificent landscapes and a wonderful soundtrack, which really adorn the gameplay. By the way, support for DirectX 11, 12 and a volcano were recently brought into the game.

K
KingLothric 12.07.21

Planescape: Torment (1999)
SOMA (2015)
Dead Space Series.

M
Mr IZI 12.07.21

Death Stranding
Max Payne 2
Cryostasis
Mor, Utopia
Bioshock

D
DeadManWalking 12.07.21

SOMA
Dark Souls
Horizon Zero Dawn

N
No_time_for_gaming 12.07.21

LiS perhaps

M
Moretc 12.07.21

Edith Finch and a little The Ethan Carter Story.

A
Anderby 12.07.21

😂

M
Max-prototype 12.07.21

Gta iv

N
Nurp 12.07.21

Dogmeet
Minesweeper
Klondike

V
Vaipen 12.07.21

Well, if you take the games, the endings of which made me really go nuts. This is Metro Exodus, Soma, Singularity and Bioshock. So you came to the end with such emotions straight "wow it was just drop dead, I passed it" and then they say to you, they say, "dude, you are certainly great, but this is the case, you know, in general, you have to die." You are such a pier "what ***", all this time I was sweating like a damn thing, breaking the boss over your puzzles to die at the end, seriously. And at this time, you directly feel the emotions of the dude who realized that he was stuck on the seabed, sealed in a spacesuit, on one with a talking toaster. And it's so straightforward and I want to say. Nooooooouuuuuu.

D
DEAD SnAke 12.07.21

The second time I come across this topic, I wanted to write about a game that came out last year, but I didn't dare. And then the topic was raised again, I saw it again and still decided to write.
In general, the game is called Crystar. And I'll warn you right away - the game is in anime style.
I will not describe the plot, otherwise there is not far to spoilers. Let me just say this. There are VERY many different philosophical thoughts in the game (from rather obvious and direct ones, which are given by the heroines themselves, to very, very veiled and generally not pronounced by anyone) and, ironically enough, even the faithful "partners" of the main characters are named after great philosophers (Diogenes, Socrates, Aristotle, etc.).
In the first hours (and even after tens of hours and complete passage of the game) it may seem that this is all snot for the sake of snot and this whole game with philosophical concepts / names / thoughts is just an attempt by the developers to give the game depth and fill the meaningless with at least some meaning. .. Well, maybe it really is. But everything, as always, depends on the point of view - and I personally saw under this "cover" of the game very, very much. I am more than sure that not everyone will come, and among those who will come, not everyone will understand everything ... But personally, in my eyes, this game is very, very powerful in terms of philosophizing.

A
AntiFlash123 12.07.21

death stranding, nier automata, spec ops the line, soma, blasphemous, limbo, firewatch, Planescape: Torment, valiant hearts the great war