3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
V
Veled 19.12.19 06:20 am

Celtica vs Scandinavica (Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2)

In anticipation of the release of the 2nd part decided to raise a topic that interested even during the release of the first. Namely, the abundance of Scandinavian symbols, images and ornaments in the game. In fact the main character runs through the Scandinavian worlds and comes to hell of HELHEIM. In this respect, the visual part is fully consistent with the content. But meanwhile, we also see the village of the Picts (a Celtic people), plundered by the Vikings, the memories of the Seine. And in these parts of the visual design remains the same, runes, branching characters. Also partially visible and Celtic ornaments, but they are not dominant. In the early art we generally see the Scandinavian runic compass Vegvisir. You can certainly attribute it to the madness of the main character, but I think it's just a marketing ploy. Instead of deepening in the culture of the Picts, we see recognizable characters, and most don't think about their meaning.
And here is the long awaited announcement of the 2nd part, and again repeated the same story: the Scandinavian characters in the trailer and art, music and Danish Heilung (which of course is very atmospheric, but again - suited for the Scandinavian setting). I think Ninja Theory do not know what I want to get the output in terms of the visual component. So to try over all aspects of the game - and so to fly with the visual is a very strange approach. But most of the players that certainly will not notice...
2 Comments
Sort by:
N
Nevoeiro 19.12.19

Veled
You did not notice, because it is not known whether the Celtic people of the Picts, or they were on this land before the Celts.
The story in the game is precisely about that period of history of the Picts, when occurred the invasion of the Vikings in their territory.
The Picts are not bad so engaged in the attack on the other.But this was a time of Viking expansion and the beginning of the end of the people of the Picts.

q
qwerty1999 17.11.22

In my opinion, it is quite expected if a genocide was staged there that the symbolism will be Scandinavian everywhere