3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
I
Igor Ostapenko 16.09.19 02:20 pm

In Microsoft Visual Studio to run the emulation of AVX-instructions? (Journey)

Hi all. On my Xeon X5670 CPU has no AVX instructions, which are currently required in the games Journey and Flower (by the same developer), but I want them to play, and the processor is not going to change. Recently I found a comment in the Steam-steamcommunity society. com/app/966330/discussions/0/3247562523070871218/ (remove the extra spaces in the address), according to which there is a possibility of running games (with debugging the application), requiring AVX to PC that such instructions do not have. This requires component intel sde (Software Development Emulator) to emulate AVX instructions. It is installed on top of Microsoft Visual Studio 2012-2015 (later versions may also be supported).
What happened to make plans:
1. Installed Visual Studio 2012
- uncheck all components except the Microsoft Foundation Classes for C++
2. Install sde-msvs2015-3.0.2 (intel sde)

What he was saying (then I do not know what to do):
3. The idea is to open Visual Studio 2012 and in the menu File-Open-the Solution or project-Executables projects" to point to executable (.EXE) file of the game, then in menu Debug click Start Debugging.
- I have at this stage, after clicking on Start Debugging is popping up a bunch of errors (play), the first of which is this (tried with the Flower):

- Perhaps you should run the game through the option -- sde " as shown below in the example using the Intel SDE (how to run the game with it don't know tried to add as an argument in the launch properties of the file inside Visual Studio does not help).
Information that will help to understand how the emulation of AVX in Visual Studio, described here in Russian: habr. com/EN/post/99367/ (remove the extra spaces in the address)
I've highlighted the most important points from there:

To verify AVX code it is better to write to it a Unit tests. However, the question arises: how to run these Unit tests if none of the currently sold CPU does not support AVX? This will help you a special utility from Intel Software Development Emulator (SDE). All that can SDE is to run programs on the fly emulating a new set of instructions. Of course, performance will be far from that on real hardware, but check the correct operation of the program is thus possible. To use SDE is easier: if you have a unit test for AVX code in the file avx-unit-test.exe and it needs to be run with the parameter "Hello, AVX!", you just need to run the SDE with parameters
sde -- avx-unit-test.exe Hello, AVX!
When the program is run SDE simulium not only AVX instructions, but also instructions CPUID and XGETBV, so if you use the previously proposed method for detection of AVX support running under SDE program decides that AVX is really supported. In addition to AVX, the SDE (or rather, the JIT compiler pin on which the SDE is built) is able to emulate SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, SSE4a, AES, XSAVE, POPCNT and PCLMULQDQ instructions so that even a very old processor will not prevent you to develop the software for new instruction sets.

The use of AVX code in C/C++
Support for AVX is implemented on the following popular compilers:
- Microsoft C/C++ Compiler starting from version 16 (included in Visual Studio 2010)
- Intel C++ Compiler beginning with version 11.1
- GCC from version 4.4
6 Comments
Sort by:
g
gennaz 16.09.19

Igor Ostapenko
It's called we are not looking for easy ways.)))

F
Forum2019 16.09.19

The game already runs on the avx without percent,with the latest patch.

I
Igor Ostapenko 16.09.19

Forum2019
Thank you for the info, I'll try. And do not tell me where there is a list of changes for the game Flower, Journey - looked - did not find (in the Steam store there is a Flower, but the list of changes there doesn't contain the right information and system requirements are still written Must support AVX instructions set)

F
Forum2019 16.09.19

Don't know,I downloaded the updated repak from hatab and voila all started,don't know about the flower,for it is not rocked.

R
Rorschach93 16.07.20

xenia does not start without AVХ, and the emulsion of Intel's all in the pumpkin turns

I
Igor Ostapenko 27.09.20

Found a video on Youtube that shows what performance the AVX emulator is in the game Horizon zero Dawn (it can be run on a PC without AVX instructions, but there are no comfortable FPS because of DirectX12, and in applications with DirectX11 the emulator allows you to give out more FPS)