3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Antonio 26.03.20 09:47 pm

How to create a new province (Chariots of War)

I want to put in this thread all I found on this problem.
3 Comments
Sort by:
A
Antonio 26.03.20

Taken here: http://forum.calendor.ru/topic707-3.html

Archer
Recently got into RTW modification, all seems to be OK turned out (yesterday, for example, raised the possibility of hiring in Judea and Jewish fanatics), but recently encountered a big problem – I did not get to add the province (mainly Corsica tried, but tried in the UK)!
I use from the American forums as much as three detailed instructions – do everything exactly on them but when I run the game persistently crashes in Windows. Dozen times have tried.
Maybe someone knows in what here the dog is buried? Help!!!!
Write out step by step what I'm doing.

1) Delete Data/world/maps/base/map.rwm and map_heights.hgt
2) Open in photoshop the file Data/world/maps/base/map_regions.tga and paint in this province a new color. Remember color. Put a capital black and white port point. Save.
3) Open descr_regions.txt Prescribed as it should be a new province. At the end of the list.
4) Open Data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_s trat.txt Add province to the list (and rebelam she tried to put the other factions) Describe the garrison in the right place. The exact position is taken from photoshop. As is X, Y get this: "155-Fotoshopa" Prescribe the location of the resource (without them also tried – no difference)
5) Then take descr_regions_and_settlement_name_lookup.txt and add the province and its capital to the list in the right place.
6) descr_mercenaries.txt also indicate the name of the province, adding it to the right place.
7) Then in Data/text/imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement _names.txt also add the province and the capital in the list in the allotted space.

In the instructions it says that after this everything will be OK. Start the game. Choose a company. Choose a fraction. Shows video, starts loading, and when it comes to the end and you should see a map, crashes to desktop.
Lift my eyelids! Tell me, what am I doing wrong?! PLI-iiiiis!

At first I thought that the case in the relief (town there in the mountains put or something like that). Tried to edit the terrain for a new province in map_groud_types.tga but nothing works. And if I only elevation change – that everything is fine, the campaign runs and the new terrain is.
By the way, I even managed to transfer some territory to another faction if it is repainted in photoshop. The game did not take off. But the new province, just some trouble!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Golok:
I don't know. Like I was doing everything right. So from a distance can not see what the problem is. I can only give a few guiding tips.
First, just recheck everything several times, probably, somewhere something not so prescribed.
Second, the file descr_mercenaries.txt can not touch (in sense not to make any changes) well everything will work without it. Resources, too, is normal with a new province not start, better not to touch it (occasionally only let dogs and pigs them on the map anyway, no need to output). And garrison you will always have time to register, first, let the campaign start normally, and there are all sorts of gadgets and then add.
Third, first try to add a province somewhere on the edge, say in the lower left corner of the map (go to start location).

Always add only one province, if you add both the probability of error is doubled.

For the first time add the province to rebel – they are a little easier.

Recheck the file descr_strat.txt the new cities in the string region should be the name of the region, not the city (it was not the writing).

The terrain doesn't matter, even if you can with hot city on the top of the mountain ambush map should still load.

When you use Photoshop (add province), you use a brush or a pencil? It is necessary a pencil.

Oh, by the way, it is better to make a separate company with the new provinces, not change existing.

Still I can advise to download my mod and see how it's done for me.

More, perhaps, I can not advise anything, because basically you wrote all correctly. The problem is most likely in the details, but what exactly... I can't see them.

Archer
YES! YES! YESSS!!!!!!!!!!
Djoylok! Thank you so much for the help! Just managed to create a new province in Britain.
Downloaded your mod and, though I have not go – probably because of the version 1.0 – have carefully studied all that concerned provinces. In the lyrics I had just made. Then I decided just the coloring of the cards take color from one you created provinces. And then all at once turned out. I think it was just the color. Because I heard somewhere that not all colors are suitable. Well, because the provinces you have – now I have the perfect color. Will they paint.
By the way, special thanks for the maps and descriptions of the factions. I had started to do them, but now you are ready.

A
Antonio 26.03.20

Taken here: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=51387

How to make a new area In RTW

For this we need to modify four files:

/data/world/maps/base/map_regions.tga
/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt
/data/world/maps/campaign/YOURCAMPAIGNNAMEGOESHERE/descr_strat.txt
/data/text/YOURCAMPAIGNNAMEGOESHERE_regions_and_settlement_na mes.txt

You will need a photo-editing program image(image) like Photoshop to edit the tga file. Since Photoshop is my lubila program, this is something that I will use for this tutorial.

Step 1:
Open map_regions.tga editor image(image).
You will see that each area has its own color, as well as a single black pixel, which determines where the city is located. Some cities have a white pixel on the coastal part of the earth that shows where is located the port. Not all cities need ports. We are going to make the area to split Armenia and Pontus a little bit, so we will go in that section of the map. I took the liberty of zooming in quite a bit so we can see what we are doing here:

Now, select the RGB color that is not used already. I just chose a random color 163, 120, 8.

Permission and pencil in your new area - zoom in, so You get a good view(view). I supose this goes without saying, but make sure You use the pencil tool not the brush tool in Photoshop. Right click brush tool and switch it to pencil. We are not going to change(replace) the formation of the earth, only to change(replace) the boundaries and add new city and port:

I set the city in what I hope is a real location, just looking at the Rome map that came with the game, and finding out where the mountain will not. This is a very difficult area(region) to add to since there are mountains EVERYWHERE, and we need to place the city almost exactly, if we don't want to edit the landscape maps (not in this guide(guideline), muchacho!). If You place a city in an invalid part of the landscape, say a river or mountain, the game will not download.

Save(Save) your map_regions.tga file now, and open descr_regions.txt.
We return to the map_regions.tga a little later, so You may want to just leave the file open for simplicity.

Now we have to think of a name(name) for this area(region) and the city. Google far. I reconnect, this is not the correct location for this, but I'm going to call this bottom Armenia one way or another. The city we call Yerevan, because I'm trying to write the Rome modding guide(guideline), not the story.

So descr_regions.txt file we're going to make a new entry that looks like this:

Quote:

Armenia_Inferior
Yerevan
armenia
Cappadocians
163 120 8
iron, wild_animals, hides

Code:
Destination to:
Region_Name (underscore if two words)
City_Name (underscore if two words)
urban culture
RGB value (remember how we had to set a unique value when creating a region? The value goes here)
resource1, resource2, resource3 (I don't think there's a limit to how many(number) of resources You can have)
The value of the Triumph (I think, not used in the game only sets it to 5 like almost every other region for simplicity),
the Farm-level (5-6 is about average, while some are very fertile region have more than 10)

Now, we open the descr_strat file and insert our area. If You want to give it to the rebels, put it below the cities list slave and if You want to give it to specific factions, put it in their city list. We're going to give this to Armenia. So go their section, and add a new settlement(settlement). I suggest only copying the previous one and edit it as necessary. I decided to do Lower Armenia big down with a few military buildings:
Code:
settlement
{
level large_town
region Armenia_Inferior

year_founded 0
population 4500
settlement_tax 51
plan_set default_set
faction_creator parthia
building
{
type core_building governors_villa
}
building
{
type hinterland_farms farms
}
building
{
type port_buildings port
}
}
And we should add a garrison that is placed directly on the city here, so they do not rebel against us in the first turn. We need to know the X, Y coordinates of our city, so we're watching them using Photoshop:

I'm going to do this garrison do NOT have a family member, because it's a whole different bag of worms and unnecessarily complicate this guide (guideline) So we only implement (will zapasam) them with the correct units, but You HAVE to insert General there (it will appear with one of the units).
So I add this value here:
Code:

characterKudurmabug, general, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 20, , x 208, y 71

army
unit east horse archer exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit east horse archer exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
unit east peltast exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Note two things about this:
First, my General has a valid Armenian name that is not already taken (not taken). You can find these names в/data/descr_names.txt file in the respective list of the faction. Make sure the title(name) is not already taken (not taken).
Second, my X, Y values great what Photoshop says. Grid photoshop starts at the top left, while runs of the game grid at the base left. This means that your X value will be the same, but your Y value will be 155 - (no matter what y photoshop). In my case, Photoshop gave me the X, Y, 208, 84. This is because the map is 155 pixels in height.

Now, sign in / text folder, and open region(regions) and settlement (settlement) calls the text file associated with your campaign, and add the value of string (thread) for your new region and city. Our recall is:

Code:
{Armenia_Inferior} Lower Armenia
{Yerevan} Yerevan
Now that we have all that added, we are in the/data/world/maps/base/folder and delete these two files:
map.rwm
map_heights.hgt

Run the game and see if it works. I would recommend making your abbreviated command line to recall is: E:/RTW/RomeTW.exe-show_err without quotations and change(replace) the path to wherevery You installed your game. It will usually give You an error message that says why crash the game if it makes.

In this case, it seems to be loads just fine. I placed it a bit close to the river (passing(adoption) of hostile armies can not pass, (because it blocks it), so I can move the city a little bit of adjusting (adapting) a black pixel in map_regions.tga. But do You know how to do it now.

Troubleshooting(Resolving conflicts) - If your game gives You error, here are some likely problems:
1) the Color used for region is invalid. Or it is already in use, or is it just the color that the game does not recognize (there appear to be multiple, and I don't think anyone knows who are or not). Just change(replace) color in the image editor(the image).
2) the City is placed in an invalid location
3) City list descr_strat.txt invalid, any of this has wrong level (placing buildings in the village for example), or have
error in code (like You left out a line or bracket).
4) map.rwm and heights.hgt files have not been deleted, and the change(replacement) has been done, it will require them to be (adding a resource, for example)
5) regions.txt the file has space in name(names) of the city/region. Remember, emphasizes.
6) the Entry is not added properly в/text/CAMPAIGN_NAME_regions_and_settlement_names.txt file (if You get some error strings(threads), this is probably the reason)

Well, that's all there is to it!

Made Burebista [Callatian] and Vorbis with RDB II supports on the www.twcenter.net

This Educational program will be increased in the future with new material. If we are missing some information, please refer to the tutorials on this site(the site) [forums.totalwar.org] they are the best yet from what I've seen.

t
travbon 26.03.20

and what does this game and RTW?