3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
M
MaximumEnergy 29.05.20 10:39 pm

The futility of the protectorate (Total War: Rome 2)

Let's discuss. Playing for the first time in Rome 2 for Sparta, I had allies Athens, later made an Alliance with Crete. Initially the idea was to make Crete a protectorate, because I didn't know that the army can sail on the ships :) and messing around with the Islands did not want to, I think in the case of uprisings more troops to send have. Gripped the Balkans, but then I realized that it is necessary to have all cities in the province, so that the entire province was easier to manage, it will give +10 to contentment of residents via the edict of bread and circuses. Still impossible to make all cities in the province of the military, a maximum of 1 city per province, the rest of the city support it through their buildings.

Thus, it turns out 1 the town under the protectorate share your province, not allowing to enjoy all the benefits of single province, so it is easier to capture quite, spitting on good relations with the faction as it will be in the case of Sparta\Athens\Knossos (to obtain a single province). In the opposite case, if you procreate a bunch of protectorates, and then have to break relations with everyone to capture, and capture will have. That is, it is impossible to conclude a Treaty of protectorate until the end of the game the developers would be counted in the score victory (their territory, allies and protectorates are considered controlled). What do you think?
21 Comments
Sort by:
C
Comment 29.05.20

The idea all right. The convenience of the protectorates that they can be used as a buffer zone against enemies at the border. Plus they dismissed, you each move of their income (from all its regions). Also, if faith alone you and he had built the temple, it should affect the entire province in a positive way.

N
NTrojan 29.05.20

MaximumEnergy
Protectorates at hand only in the way but if they are far enough away and if the provinces do not interfere, however rather a faction agrees to become an ally than a protectorate, so in principle protectorates at the beginning of the game something like need it))

M
MaximumEnergy 29.05.20

The fraction offered to lie under the protectorate only when your country is powerful, and their enemies, with whom they wage war, too strong for them. And the meaning they afford to take, to fight with their enemies, to purchase unplanned war... although I agree, courage in the game it adds ))

C
Comment 29.05.20

MaximumEnergy
First, if he is already at war, then you don't have to go to war against all his enemies. And secondly, the point is that there will be an official excuse to start a war with the objectionable factions.

B
Bianor 29.05.20

Simple example - some times called Crete, under the protectorate of the Ptolemies. Crete also has repeatedly refused. Sent to the island aynzatts command to coercion. Landed, under the noses of three complete armies besieged the city and once again demanded a protectorate. Crete quickly agreed and after a few moves its three armies had chased the Gauls. However after some time, the island was captured by the rebels and there again had to send troops, which put an end to the state of Crete, but one-time benefits from this action cannot be overestimated.

M
Marshal Talyan MakKirbi I 29.05.20

Their
...which put an end to the state of Crete
If a faction loses its last city but it is still at least one army or fleet, then the fraction will exist as long as the army or the Navy. So those three armies of Crete can easily somewhere in Gaul to settle

B
Bianor 29.05.20

You can, but as practice showed, the chance of this is not great. There is some strange mechanism of podygryvanii the computer itself, when one city can feed three armies and four agents in the absence of the city's commercial buildings, but if you begin to extrude such state agents or blockade, the army begins to die, and quickly. Having lost the last city of the army begins to wane and after several moves disappear altogether.

G
GLG 13 29.05.20

The protectorate in the game, and really not a lot of sense, but what it is and normally works fine.
Most often the wing player asks a weak (read: puny) faction with 1-2 cities. Why do they make vassals easier to capture.

T
Tempatilomnus 29.05.20

I play for the Confederation of the Britons, but protectorates or satrapies can not create, can the barbarians do not?

O
Olmer159 29.05.20

Totally agree protectorate in the game worked poorly, remember the movie Troy when the Greeks came to its walls and condition offered to the Trojans one of the conditions Trojan army becomes mine and at my command is the war here it is the subject of the protectorate should be to be able to control the army of the faction you subject at a certain time.

M
MaximumEnergy 29.05.20

Denis-Amkar
At least version 1.7, you can specify the purpose of the allies through the diplomacy menu, often. If you have the desire to artificially cultivate a powerful ally, we must give him a goal on villages with only one garrison, and that he may have missed the moment when his enemies weak.

*When the relationship with a fraction of approximately +300 still can take it under the protectorate, probably have to fork out more money but to do something reluctantly :)

G
Goblin-2 29.05.20

The protectorate/satrapy is the meaning to take away, to plunder the adjacent territory and pump (to temper in combat) his army. On the territory of the protectorate administered his strong army and begins alternately attacking and robbing all the neighbors of the protectorate. If you lose, just retreat to the territory of the protectorate and replenished troops on its territory (well, maybe a little slower) + the protectorate troops protect you in their territory and sometimes help attack enemies. Also in the protectorate can be inanimate allied forces relatively inexpensive (not as mercenaries) in hiring and content. It benefits the protectorate is trading with you and gives trading income, unfasten % of the income of the territory and increases the credibility of your faction. Minus the protectorate that he sometimes gets to complete the formation of the province...although in a single culture procedure allows to increase.

D
Dima Kulish 29.05.20

Goblin-2
Deal talking about

C
Costa772 29.05.20

how to give the barbarians the function of protectorates? in any game files digging?

A
Aleksator 29.05.20

Costa772
if you want to they were protectorates from the start... you got the wrong Azaz. There are moder tight.

A
AlanuccioDeSemia 29.05.20

Protectorates it's like in modern times autonomy. I had a case where Royal Scythians fought with me, but when I pressed them into a corner, their military came up to me on the other hand, what was very unexpected, but instead of capture they offered to become my protectorates. I agreed, as their land I didn't need and didn't want to bathe from the discontent of citizens. But now I can do on my land to do a set of their troops.

S
Sem Geordon 29.05.20

Play Caesar in Gaul" during Overnow. Captured a Roman province, and since it was close to the capital of the Romans, near which was around 6 armies, I decided to release it captured the settlement. Hoped that they will become my protectorate, and it turned out just a military Alliance. Turns out you can't take protectorate over the barbarians, not historical, but such as you can do in the game, developed cities of the Gauls, too, was not

K
Kapelani 29.05.20

Decided to play on the highest difficulty with the most unfavorable position of the faction, lasted 100-120 moves and here comes a complete PPC (the offensive)
The question is, can I through diplomacy to become a protectorate? (offer for example to Rome, take me under your wing)
Or it can't be done in Rome 2?

D
Dr.Schmeisser 29.05.20

Kapelani
not
PS: in such a complex company initially, it is necessary to sit rypatsya and not military build (still does not help, the computer usually makes not one so two zrazy) and technologies to explore and grandmother to beat, loot to distribute to neighbors, alliances with all to conclude or at the end of dogovorennosty about not attack, only leash then military

K
Kapitan00 29.05.20

Protectorates are not so useless, because they can buy unique units, for example I am in favor of Sardis did Knossos made its protectorate somehow persuaded to go to war with Athens to give it the first city in Hellas, and Sparta declared war on themselves in the end, the protector had a province that gave me 3 of the militia(depending on the number of cities under the control of a particular province), and there I hired Cretan archers for the army.