3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
P
Podvipodvertov 13.06.21 12:34 am

\ "Point of no return graphics \" - games that always look good.

After what period does a certain "point of no return" occur in graphical terms in games, when the game will look good and many years after its release? And is there such a point?
For example, now I'm going through Cyberpunk, and after that I plan to go through Assassin Odyssey - I personally liked the game, and visually it doesn't look flawed for me, I like the picture there.
But for example, at one time I started to go through Skyrim, almost on the day of release, but then I abandoned it for many years (moving, looking for work, etc.), and only in 2019 I returned to the game, but I could not play it already , since the game itself was interesting for me it was impossible to take it away, but the grafon was just a miserable pipets for this time (I tried to put the mods, but could not - it’s not mine).
And now I could no longer play Skyrim after so many years, because I just looked at the main character, at the surroundings in a circle, and ofigel - in the last "Total War" one unit from a thousandth army looks a hundred times better than the main character in Skyrim. But I can’t play it anymore, when the game doesn’t catch on visually, I cannot! I don't care how much the game was a masterpiece at one time, and how interesting it was, but if it ceased to please the eye for me, I won't be able to play it, that's all I can't.
But for example, I think that in 2030 I will be able to play The Witcher 3, Cyberpunk, the same Assassin Odyssey / Valhalla - for me these are games where the picture does not become one soapy piece of textures, the games will certainly become outdated, but they will not be shit in terms of graphics. I gave these games as an example for myself,
For example, Dishonored 2 looks great for me even now, and for 5 - 7 years I think it will not lose its charm graphically.
I heard that after 2015 there was a kind of "point of no return", when the grafon in games became such that it would not please the eye over time, of course, but not like the games of 2000, 2005 - when you look at a character and think - "this is Is his ass talking instead of a head, or is this face drawn like that? ", and sometimes it was necessary to turn on the imagination to smooth out graphic inaccuracies due to insufficiently developed technologies. But then there was no other picture, and to include imagination was in the order of things.
Now I’m playing new games, and I don’t finish drawing in my head any moments for the developers. I’ll say more, I’m even bastard with graphics in the new top games, I can really stupidly stand still for an hour and admire the surroundings, this was not the case before.
17 Comments
Sort by:
S
Setesh 13.06.21

Podvipodvertov wrote:
they won't be shit in terms of the schedule.
For you, they will, and I assure you, you won't be able to play them. You are one of those who sees only grafon in games, and if it is not modern, no matter how interesting the game is, you will pass by

P
Protocol10 13.06.21

Podvipodvertov
Obsolete, but it's hard to say exactly the year. Everything depends on the specific game and depends on the player. Someone needs the freshest with the most advanced grafon, otherwise into the furnace. Someone calmly plays games of the 80s or 90s and does not care. Each individual has his own system of values ​​and priorities.

M
MunchkiN 616 13.06.21

I do not quite understand that there is a point of no return. there are points dividing the generations of consoles and, as a rule, there is a gap in the perception of the graphone. there are also some technology-driven turning points in each console cycle. for this, technologies must be diffused.
so for example now it seems to me more or less that modern games are pbr pbs plus screen space reflexion. However, the games more or less came to him by the year 14-15, they acquired the modern graphone later and in some places it worked strangely. zhta5 looks rather strange, but it has a grafon.
and recently released cyberpunk2077 and one of the topics was a video in which someone plays it in high resolution and high fps. and what a sticky grapone ... for someone it is associated with the clarity of textures, but in that form there was no rtx - there is oak lighting and all those micro glitches with leaks of the image and light by the method of reflection of the ssr when the blue of the sky in the metal flickers in the house and all sorts of scraps of geometry and this nifiga is not neksen. Nextgen is soft shadows and precise omnidirectional reflections with blur on rough and plastic. so for me the point of no return seems to have passed the pitch-pitch. those before and after the dhr complex. however, there is no gambling. that is, this technology has not become widespread, or some kind of analogue of it, which will be a little simpler but much better. and before there were static cubes. I remember I wanted to play what kind of assassin in the year 12-13 there was a little mirrored temple and it stung in my eyes and poked me that I started to play. it became sad and it was a new rathon, and in the city there were planar reflections in a number of old games in wizardry 8 like. in Oblivion, reflections could be shamanized. so it should be a strange one within the framework of dividing the old graphone and, at the moment, from a complex of technologies and fashion, because before the current is a colorful blurred graphon this aaa is cool and then the bakers got tired of all the plastic and turned their eyes to Max Payne 2 with his photo-textures beads and even tama there is no normalping. with normalping, it is a little soapy and with speculators, but like on techno-demos - the light went off and the bricks with a volume began to bubble up, I wanted to get up and scream aaaaa !!! relief mapping. but slightly exaggerated. or ambien is occluded. boring flat and so inclusive so that the baseboards turned black in 2010 - grafon. and if the joint stock company is not visible, then it is not a graph. such a point of no return according to Hegel is obtained.

r
requiemmm 13.06.21

So the "point of no return" refers not to the time, release or passage of the game, but to its style. That was the Crisis, after all the Quakes, Wolf or Farkrai there he looked great, but as soon as all the graphics became something like this, the Crisis itself lost the little that made it stand out. In comparison, he lost both to competitors and to reality. He was the best - he became one of many, and since nothing but graphics was stupid in it, he flew into the dustbin of history.
And now let's take Okami or the first Valkyria Chronicles, you can also Shanta, in general, any game with a drawn graphon, without trying to flirt with photorealism, you can also Borda or Aragami there, too, will do. She cannot be compared with the real world, this is about the same as comparing Guernica with a photo from the window and yelling, which does not look like. No, well, you can, but ... a drawing remains a drawing. Always. And on release, and 10 years later, this drawing is the same.

P
Pavel rally 13.06.21

Podvipodvertov
The older I get, the more indifferent to graphics, the last time I experienced the wow effect in the game Crysis 2007.

P
Podvipodvertov 13.06.21

Pavel Rally
I fucked up from RDR2 the last time, before it was The Witcher 3, before him GTA5, then Crisis like yours.
This is my chronology.

D
Denis Kyokushin 13.06.21

Podvipodvertov
You need to pay attention to the little things. Let's say the game looks good, it's brand new, but there is no first-person shadow. Or, on the contrary: the game is old, and the third-person player casts two shadows. Or reflections in mirrors, water. Me here is Max Payne 3 recently launched and freaked out seeing the reflection on the floor

A
A.Soldier of Light 13.06.21

Podvipodvertov wrote:
After what period does a certain "point of no return" occur in graphic terms in games, when the game will look good and many years after its release? And is there such a point?
Depends on the game, I suppose.
For example, Doom 2: the end point was found long ago, and this point is many, many years old. And yet every year there is something new for this game. And everything is fine, nobody cares.
Yes, there are new high-quality textures, modders create their own graphics, but the engine is two-dimensional, old. New special effects have been added using graphics engines like gzdoom, but the general graphics remain the same: 2D pixel =]

Doom 2 on gzdoom engine The graphics improvements are minimal, more cosmetic in nature, but nothing prevents you from using mods to improve the picture. But it will still be a pixelated ... pixelated 2D game. This is the trick of this eternal immortal game. Either you get it or you don’t, there’s no third way;]

Some games do not require graphical enhancements. Or rather, significant improvements, the game looks good for its time. It is difficult to explain here, it is simply understood, but I will assume that it was necessary to play these games at the time of their release. Now, however, they certainly do not look so hot ...
For example, the graphics in the old trilogy Donkey Kong Country:

Podvipodvertov wrote:
But for example, at one time I began to go through Skyrim, almost on the day of release, but then I abandoned it for many years (moving, looking for work, etc.), and only in 2019 I returned to the game, but I could not play this , since the game itself was interesting for me it was impossible to take it away, but the grafon is miserable just a pipets for the time being.
Oh, how, wow ! Yes, you, my friend, are the grafters? 8) And, apparently, you are not a shkolotron, an adult for a long time, but the grafon is very important to you. Hmm, sad.
Skyrim ... heh, how about Morrowind? &) There is an even poorer grafon. But they still play it ...
Podvipodvertov wrote:
I really can stupidly stand still for an hour and admire the surroundings, this was not the case before.
I had: when I discovered Morrowind for myself in 2003-2004. All this is relative ...
In 2008 GTA 4: the same effect.
So, for Warzone 2100, a texture mod was once released, including a remaster of units. After checking out the new high-quality textures and models of units, it is impossible to look at the old ones with despondency 8) But this game is very old, it is quite understandable there, since the innovation increases the level of graphics by an order of magnitude.

P
Podvipodvertov 13.06.21

A.Soldier of Light
I went up and down Morrowind in due time, all additions to it are the same. Oblivion passed too, but I practically played these games at the exit, so at that time I had no complaints about the picture, so to speak.
I just remember that before, when I played new games at that time, I could drop in on the picture, they say the textures are not the same, the lighting is not so hot, the fingers on my hands are drawn with one big texture ... And now this is not when I play new games, Now I have no complaints about the quality of graphics.
I also never replay the games that I played, no matter how cool they were - I went through and deleted. Well, I don’t fap on old games, they say it was better before .... new games delight me, and there is absolutely no longing for the old ones, as well as for my first car, nine as an example.

R
RicoChico 13.06.21

Midway through the lifecycle of the PS3 and Xbox 360, this point of no return begins. A bunch of remasters of games from those times came out with in fact minimal changes in graphics. And people actively hawala it.

A
A.Soldier of Light 13.06.21

Podvipodvertov wrote:
I also never replay the games that I played, no matter how cool they were - I went through and deleted it
Clearly. No, you are not a gamer ^ _ ^

Y
Yakhychkvash 13.06.21

With the development of duckling syndrome.
Olds out the graphics of the 90s are considered normal. And the twilights of 2015 born in five years will be spitting from cyberpunk here.

A
A.Soldier of Light 20.06.21

Yahychkvash
Ducklings play the original Doom 2, for example, in English they are called "purist".
Personally, I prefer the modified Doom 2: mods for both graphics and the rest, if any. So, by the way. Not all old ducklings;]

A
Ansaphone 20.06.21

Games with pixel-based, hand-drawn, simple graphics will never become outdated in terms of visuals (minecraft, terraria, dont starv, old walley, etc.)) games with cartoon graphics will look tolerable for a very long time (example: wow classic, overwatch, league of legends, fortnight, this graphics will read very well in many years, at least 10 years.

m
masha 18.09.21

Doom, Quake are the first, there is a good 3D graph, no matter how much time passes, the games look high quality.

G
GTAman 28.10.21

Almost all old 2D is now perceived as a specific style, and not as low-quality / outdated. For 3D, the era of sufficient quality (in average games) began around 2007.

m
masha 03.11.21

2D graphonistic will be at least 1000 years later, if it is colorful enough, for example, as on Nes / Famicom / Dandy.

GTAman
Yes, since 2007 beautiful games have gone. But I think from 2004, when the effects appeared when textures reflected light at different viewing angles.