3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
P
Protocol10 23.07.21 12:12 am

Why isn't the game scary? (Resident Evil: Village)

The game was kind of like a horror game. I played half the game, and I didn't understand where to be afraid. Seven in this regard was more terrible and the atmosphere of despair and hopelessness was. And here it was more like a fairy tale got with elements of an action movie.
10 Comments
Sort by:
G
Guru_007 05.08.21

The most creepy location is the ventriloquist mansion. Well, the beginning of the game. Nowhere else did it seem scary to me with a shotgun in my hands)))

P
Protocol10 05.08.21

Guru_007
Creepy. Yes, only this location is traversed in half an hour and then the whole horror atmosphere disappears again.

K
Kvasilich 05.08.21

Protocol10
Because it was not their main task (c) Starting with the fact that from 4 parts, PE took an irreversible emphasis on an action shooter, and ending with a general decrease in the horror degree in large modern games (it seems that the developers are afraid to go too far and do not want to frighten beyond measure - this is a wide audience, I want to please everyone and cut more money). Moreover, the seven is different from the rest of the series, it was made with an emphasis on classic horror (and it seems like another screenwriter wrote the plot), but this idea was never developed, returning to the usual corridor action. In fact, yes, PE8 is a linear FPS with elements of a horror story, capable of scaring only schools ... inexperienced gamers, the notorious mansion of Pope Carlo is the only glimpse of that very Penumbra "true horror".
Additionally, the suspense of the Eight spoils the mediocre plot, turning the narrative branch into a deshman circus with horses, which cannot be taken seriously, and, accordingly, empathized with the characters.

D
Denis g 05.08.21

Well, in fairness - the seven tried to scare except in the initial flashbacks in the style of the Witch from Blair. Further in the game was not scary for a minute.
In the eighth, nevertheless, the crypts were brought in a little more, but just a little. I was expecting a horror from the puppeteer mansion, because I had heard it, but no, it is simply not there. There is no outlast gameplay there, a crawling monster in the basement is not even a reason for stealth, it appears stupidly several times in the script, and is clung to a pre-written sequence of actions with zero difficulty.
Perhaps it's time to stop digging and accept the fact that the rezik is an action game in which the horror has died a long time ago.

I
IngwardIn 05.08.21

Protocol10
Didn't specifically write the post until I finished the game.

I think that difficulty plays an important role, and if you played at a level below hardcore, then there is nothing to be surprised at.
Regarding the comparison with the 7th, I do not agree at all. Monsters have one model, and from the scary these are clichéd screamers and a little house atmosphere in the battle with the grandmother.
But one way or another, if we take two episodes, then the horror genre is a formality of the setting in which the game is located.
The games themselves are more about suspense. And in my opinion, the eighth part copes with this better than the 7th. True, in this regard, the game is blown away in places in the part by Moreau and Heisenberg., But still does not exclude moments.
Yes, this is typical, but the part in the style of PT at Beneviento, I really liked it for its whipping up the atmosphere. But in PT the effect is of course stronger))

Can you name a game that you think is scary?
Denis G wrote:
No autlastovogo gameplay there
would be Right now autlastovsky gameplay consider horor .....

M
MunchkiN 616 05.08.21

and the resident never seemed to be scary. these were militants with zombies like all sorts of grandfather spaces and dooms. eats you shoot there.

D
Denis g 26.09.21

IngwardIn wrote:
Right now outlast gameplay should be considered a horror ....
I wonder then what is considered a horror. Jokers like Rezik and Evil Vizin?
For me, outlast in general is, in principle, one of the most creepy games, precisely due to the fact that there is no shooter in it.

I
IngwardIn 26.09.21

Denis G
The lore itself or the place of action of the outlast, maybe, but they revealed this lore mediocrely in 1 and 2 parts.
The ways and mechanics with which they are trying to scare - no. Cheap and annoying, not intimidating and predictable. Re8 kept his tension even more.
I went through the first and addition. For the second I was not completely enough, the stuffy fierce, the gameplay is poor - an indie game for a full price with a minimum mechanic.

Soon the third will be delivered, it seems like the gameplay will be corrected, so we'll see.

Popovodu "what a horror" - of the last I remember "evil within" first. And this is not a joke, but survival. From the old I remember the suffiring (although this is a joke, I do not exclude that these are childhood impressions). I will remember something else, I will add.

PT Very scary, and not with screamers or something disgusting, namely suspense, atmosphere and presentation))

M
Magnum 500 26.09.21

The scariest game of all times and peoples is Condemned Criminal Origins, no cutters and outlasts were lying around

S
SkyraX 07.10.21

for the whole game, nirazu was never scared, it was cool in the house of dolls, then only once, after replaying from the checkpoint, not a single drop is scary