3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
F
Forrest gump 31.07.21 01:08 pm

At what age can a child be allowed to play video games?

There is a nephew (3 years old). Likes to walk, to play, to help parents to do house cleaning and learn letters - good boy :)
[i] The existence of computer games does not know [/ i].

I've been thinking: play games, he will, in any case, because all his future friends will "do it" :) However, if you start it too late, you may get hooked in such a way that you can't tear off your ears - it will be harmful.
If you start too early, it can IMHO interfere with normal development, since the child must learn the world not through virtual reality, but through ordinary reality - again harm.

I think that we need to start introducing the child to games so that it does not make him a gambling addict. That is, to play, but know when to stop and not start confusing virtual reality with the real one (a very real danger for the emerging consciousness IMHO).

My considerations:
1) You need to start playing after the child learns to read - so that he can learn about fairy tales from books, and not from games. Otherwise, the motivation for reading may be lost: why read, if you can play at the same time.
2) You need to start playing right away with the best games - so that the taste is formed and then time is not wasted on garbage (which is the majority).
3) You need to play only children's games, no Quake, Doom, Vivisector: D and similar violence.

I invite fathers (literally :)), as well as uncles and grandfathers (if there are any;)) to share their thoughts on the topic, make a rating of the best children's games, etc.

I'm thinking: maybe buy a GameCube - they say all the best children's games out there?
Regarding the "educational" games: IMHO it's all bullshit - learning to read, write, consider it better by "old-fashioned" methods, and the entire market of educational programs for children rests on the desire of parents to teach children according to new, "fashionable", "progressive" methods. In fact, their usefulness was invented by the manufacturers of these programs in order to sell them :) [offtopic] As with vitamins in pills, food supplements, "quantum therapy devices", etc. [/ offtopic] [/ offtopic]
124 Comments
Sort by:
H
Hero 31.07.21

[b] KKK [/ b], that's okay.

J
Juras 31.07.21

My daughter began to "play" from the age of three. She really likes racing (all in daddy: D) I let her play GT on the steering wheel, but for now I turn off the forcefeedback - let her learn to drive a car since childhood. Well, of course she plays Ducks (just in vain in this game they made levels where you need a shark to eat ducks, IMHO), in Tekken and SC she likes to punish bad ones :). Personally, I started playing when I was 7 years old - it seems like I grew up normal: D We must make sure that the child does not become an avid gamer - gambling addiction is a disease.
And do not let children play ugly & scary games - they then have nightmares and they sleep badly - a 5-year-old nephew after Resistance slept terribly badly at night.

g
gravemaker 31.07.21

I generally started playing from the age of 4 (hello, kamander kin and lemings!)

G
Gg warrior 31.07.21

I started when I was 5-6 years old. On PC: twisted: Wolf 3D and DooM 2! : fight: I remember I really liked the chainsaw in DooM 2, but like nothing, I haven't cut people on the streets yet, I haven't stolen cars (I still loved F1 racing). As a child, as a child, I always understood that this is one thing in life, but in films (how, did I not say that I am a fan of Freddy Krueger from an early age ?: mrgreen :) and games, this is completely different. Therefore, all this crazy news about the next thugs who killed someone because of GTA, nothing but laughter and resentment for I do not call the industry.

[b] Juras [/ b]
[Quote] just in vain in this game they made levels where you need a shark of ducks [/ quote] What wildness! : gigi: Does your daughter watch programs about animals with you at all? When the hunt was shown, I was always sick for predators, and was terribly upset when the prey managed to leave. In truth, I am upset about this even now when I watch Animal Planet. : mrgreen:

m
mukor 31.07.21

[quote] What a wildness! Does your daughter watch programs about animals with you at all? When the hunt was shown, I was always sick for predators, and was terribly upset when the prey managed to leave. In truth, I am upset about this even now when I watch Animal Planet. [/ Quote]
Well, and you say that you grew up normal: gigi:
lately I started to think, maybe sometimes strong aggression appears because of the games? but I haven't killed anyone yet)))

G
Gg warrior 31.07.21

[b] mukor [/ b],
I don’t know if this is related, but I don’t understand vegetarians at all. I myself am a meat eater and since childhood I have been accustomed to the fact that there is absolutely nothing wrong with killing a cow or a lamb for food.
PSMmm ... I wanted to eat something. : gigi:

m
mukor 31.07.21

[b] Gg Warrior [/ b], yes I'm the same :)
damn it, it's not for nothing that they came up with all sorts of pegs that glue age to the box with the game ... :( I didn't need to play as a soldier as a child: eek:

K
KKK 31.07.21

: knight: When I play DON'T COME TO ME !!! : maniac:

J
Juras 31.07.21

[b] Gg Warrior [/ b] We don’t watch hunting - mostly watching the "Baby" channel. I have a kind child and a "kind" upbringing.
And the wildness is that the child saves-saves the ducks from sharks, and then ... since a pancake and for some reason must eat ducks - she did not even understand: confused: she began to shake the joystick to throw the shark nafig from the bath - I had to explain that this is how it should be - this is a game and everything is fine ... - I'm not happy with this moment in the game. I believe that games should be of age, and at an early age more kindness and kind games are needed.

G
Gg warrior 31.07.21

[b] Juras [/ b],
You then had to go through these levels yourself, and give the child only "good" levels. Although the kindness of the levels with the rescue of ducks is also not so obvious. Tell me, well, these ducks will all swim away from there, Well, the sharks will stay hungry. Who will get better from this? First, the sharks themselves will die of hunger, and the imbalance in the fragile ecosystem of this game will lead to the fact that excessively bred ducks will devour all the food and also die. Here. : gigi: The main thing is to keep the balance, sharks are not absolute evil, and ducks are not absolute good. : clever: You seem to be an advanced child (she began to shake the joystick to throw the shark out of the bath: mrgreen :), I think she will understand if you explain it to her.

D
Dina 31.07.21

the niece began to play from a very early age, in any games. And everything is fine with him, now he is 13, and he is interested in football)

J
Juras 31.07.21

[b] Gg Warrior, [/ b]
I would go through them myself if I was with my daughters all the time, but she plays quietly herself and when I'm not at home my wife turns on the PS3. Yes, and before my daughter, I did not go through all the levels and did not know about such levels. These sharks are not critical, but still, I and my wife did not like this moment.
I understood you - I explained coolly - did I smoke anything? :) (joke) But I think for 4 years it's too early to explain to her the food chain and generally explain that someone should eat someone ... including us, daughter , we eat everyone every day ... I think I'll explain later :)
[b] Dina [/ b],
I think that in "any" games you still don't need to give, and not only because you can become crazy, but because your worldview will be different and, perhaps, far from what parents and society would like.
It's good that everything is in order - the main thing is that games do not become the main entertainment. You need to look after the child - anyone can be drawn into 13, 16, etc. I even know one grandmother (read) a gamer: gigi:

D
Dina 31.07.21

[b] Juras [/ b], I don’t think that a computer game, even one of the most cruel, can break the psyche of a morally stable child. The psyche can be broken by an unhealthy interest in games "with special cruelty", and it can be caused just by the ban on them. All the same, someone from their children's company will boast of access to such toys, time will pass and this “someone” will forget about it, and the rest will replenish what they did not have or were forbidden - that's an unhealthy interest.

f
fragile 31.07.21

As soon as the child realizes that the mother does not have a bad dream behind the wall, and that she is having sex with her father, then he can already be allowed to play computer games. : razz:

E
Eon 31.07.21

Well, I started at 4 years old, Oh Mortal Kombat)))
And it seems that I still haven't killed anyone, I can't even kill a fly, hehe, anger goes into games! Well sometimes!
So in my opinion, a child can play from 4 years old, start there with all sorts of quests, mario sonics, etc. Personally, I learned English from childhood, although they did not learn it at school, and then I corrected German, since I usually had games as a gift from Germany / Switzerland.
In short, if a child is even interested in this Manhunt, it is certainly too cruel to bring up a child in such games hehe. So let the children play whatever they want except GTA and Manhunt, and play since childhood.

O
Olderman 31.07.21

The main thing is not when to start, but how much time will be spent on this activity. IMO kids in MMORPGs can be creepy. Once in EK2 on the clan site I read the application for the entry of a 6-year-old girl, I thought it was a fake, but it turned out to be true and her acquaintances helped her to write. Sentences like Aunt XXX recommended me, she is so good, why - my aunts and I ran so merrily and killed everyone ... and the worst thing is that the adult guilds were moved ... no really ... I'm afraid this child may never understand that there is such a cool thing as reading books: (IMO, in the period when preferences for spending free time are laid, the playing time should be dosed, but not just forbid to play, but replace it with fascinating reading material with something else that people would initially know pleasant alternatives, and not I just didn’t understand why they didn’t give it to us.

d
derek 31.07.21

[quote] I started when I was 5-6 years old. On PC Wolf 3D and DooM 2! [/ quote]
yes, here I am, too, as it were. But think about it, when we were kids we used to kill a 50x50 sprite with a chainsaw and shoot with pixel bullets. Now we do kill, sometimes aimlessly and not always "bad guys".

I think children can and even need to play games. but I would not allow my child to play Manhunt or, for example, the same Darkness

G
Gg warrior 31.07.21

[b] derek [/ b],
I think the difference is imperceptible for the child's consciousness, at least 3 pixies at least 100,000 polygons to the next world to send. just the main thing is to understand that over there it is a game, but here it is life. Another thing is that, in principle, there are games that are not for children. Menhunt is one of them, but I'm not sure about the darkness. There is a lot of junk in the movies and even in cartoons. It seems to me that modern children grow much faster than us, if at the age of 7 such things did not surprise me and did not encourage me to do something similar in real life, then they will not be. Do not overestimate the influence of games and underestimating the power of upbringing, the main thing is to prevent the substitution of one for the other.

A
ACE 31.07.21

mine will start from childhood with the right games, with Tomb Ryder. Such games develop the imagination and there is no blood. I think you can also vivapinata and similar

G
Gg warrior 31.07.21

The rider will quickly poke, it is better in the prince.