3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
R
Real slim shady 28.10.21 10:45 pm

How do I start playing old games?

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening or good night!

Give a couple of tips, instructions that you would give to your comrade, friend before recommending some old game, preferably under the word old, take into account about 15+ years, or better, an even longer period of time, time goes on and even games that seemed breakthrough, modern ones go into the sunset ... I'm just going to go through the "masterpieces" of the game industry of the early 21st century, somehow plunge into that atmosphere and enjoy it.
(Gothic, Skyrim, Heroes of Midth and Magic, Age of Empires, Diablo, Fallout, HalfLife ...)
12 Comments
Sort by:
R
RicoChico 28.10.21

Well, for starters, it's worth understanding that to run some games, you will have to download patches / translations and make edits in .ini files. Since in Steam they may not be translated and, by default, work poorly on modern systems.
Some games are easier to download than to buy. In fan assemblies, everything may already be debugged.
You can also see if the games of interest have remasters.

k
kurskiy 28.10.21

What instructions can there be. This is an igroprom classic.

I
IngwardIn 28.10.21

Real Slim Shady
Although it is quite possible to get closer to nostalgia, to immerse yourself in childhood ... but it is difficult to plunge into that atmosphere and emotions, even for a duomer based on euphoric memory, because at that time it was a new experience, consolidated by sincere childhood / youthful perception.
For a person who has no past with these projects, the way out:
1. Choose unique projects.
2. Pass them in a portable, smartphone as an option.
3. Lower expectations.

I myself once missed Morrowind, for example, but there is no desire to play on the PC, but on the phone it is a pleasure.)))

P
Protocol10 28.10.21

Real Slim Shady

To plunge into that atmosphere, it will not be enough to install the game. A computer like the one in the picture, give up the Internet and a smartphone for six months, unless you use a push-button phone. To put Windu a pig. The apartment is also sensitive to create an entourage, hang a carpet on the wall, for example, from music to listen to ramstein and hands up.

S
Spiny 28.10.21

Everything is very simple! I am 30 years old and have seen the gaming industry well. There was a dandy and a sega. What I have now is a PC i7 8700k 32GB of RAM and an RTX 2080 Ti, but I play in: C&C (Red Alert 2, Generals), and a bunch of different old games. I even downloaded an emulator for shogi and sometimes play there. Remembering old games is necessary and even necessary. A bunch of their own features (for example, complexity). The gaming industry has changed and is changing, but that's not a bad thing. However, some of the features are missing. Especially worth a look are games from our developers. For example, a cool series of games about the golden age of pirates, "Corsairs".

r
requiemmm 28.10.21

You need to find a "square" monitor. It is quite possible to run most noteworthy games under the seven, but a modern monitor is either a game in a window on a sixth of the screen, where nothing is visible, or patches for the interface and, as a result, a microscopic font that cannot be read comfortably. And the game of the early 2000s, stretched out for 1080p and more, "pleases" with huge pixels and ladders, which we simply did not see in due time.
You will need fan patches and fixes, fixes for a large amount of memory, possibly old versions of video card drivers. And that ... take all the session and online shit off the machine. You will be distracted, ruin your impression.

M
MunchkiN 616 28.10.21

first you need to endure 15 days of fasting, spending time in prayers and vigils, pacifying your flesh. then, but you need to put on a hair shirt on your naked body and go barefoot to your friends in frotnite, dota and pugba and repent of your sins, say goodbye and go to a more strict legacy, for he lived earlier in sin, grafon and other low passions.
it would be nice to equip your pitch kelu with a good beam monitor and some kind of computer like Nenka 4 on an agp bus 512 mb ram and some kind of radeon 9990 video card and feel like an almighty pitch boryan before the soapy end era. run old epic games, smear them with them and not watch the guides and passing them. to have fun that is. for the whole old vicious world will go away and there will be 8x righteous anisotropy and adaptive anti-aliasing. for many old games with glitches and artifacts on new Windows under dx 7 and 8. to
squeeze the rolls and play it.
in fact, I don’t know who might come up with the idea to play old games and smoke not a remaster with fishing, but the soap that was on the release where the grass had no shadows. and if a person has come to such a thought, then most likely he himself knows why he should play old games that came out before his birth or his peers.
I once had such a crisis in the game when I wanted to taste the carrion because the modern that moment 3D became polygonal and unpleasant and the games ended and I began to look for old games and learn, but it was inconvenient because I did not have 95 Windows. did not know where to get it. and with dos boxing everything was bad and tan had to know the rune literacy in order to turn on the game correctly with sound and nothing was clear in Russian and nothing was clear and not as good as in my Peka fantasies where games are like 5 Morrowind only with sprite fringes and bushes running around. but then I saw the graphon of the third new generation shaders and was imbued with its light and the cruzis saw and understood its essence. and with soapy horror I remembered the soap and polygonal games where you wander in the fog and the mountains are loaded out of the fog and the fir trees and there are no shadows and then covered with cold in the night.

l
lapwing mouse 03.04.22

MunchkiN 616
Eh, I remember 19 years ago, at the end of March, my second computer appeared. And the truly divine dawn of holy gaming on ultras began. Those games that still haunt me. Then not even a year had passed when I was sunk into super legendary projects with might and main. Max Payne the first, the first Mafia, Indiana Jones-Empire Tomb, GTA Vice City, Pacific Fat, Hidden and Dangerous, Postal, Wolfenstein, Angels Revolt, the old parts of mega Sam, the iconic first part of Soldier of Fortune) And, of course!!! !!! My!!!!!! Favorite game ever!!!! This is the first part of Splinter Cell!!!!! Before that, it was a favorite game in the late 90s - the second part of Delta Force and the turn-based strategy Gorky 17, which put love with turn-based strategies. Greetings to Iksky) Eeeh ... Ah yes, gaming was a saint then !!! Grafonius was not particularly interested, Emsiay Afterbuner was not there, and also fps less than 60 frames was acceptable) No frame counters, measurements, tracking temperatures))) Yeah, that's what I understand, the game mystery of full dedication to games, and not what it is now. 2002 - God's gaming grace!!! And literally, well, a little bit of time passed, and the era of grafodrocherstvo of don grafonium settings and experiments with anti-aliasing began !!! They laid the foundation: the first Far Cry, Doom 3 and Halva 2, well, urine has flowed through the pipes to this day) Spring and summer 2002, the end of the tenth grade, there are no exams - all day long, either football in the yard, or 10-12 hours of playing your favorite games! Eh, my dear cattle is good - nostalgic)))) ah, I'll get drunk one of these days in trash))) and I will note that time !!!!! Download all those games and go on a big binge with them for a few days!!!! I need to take the weekend off work for this! For the last time I celebrated the days of golden gaming, already three years ago!!!! Those games contributed enormously to my mousewurian self-awareness!!!!! And he went to the window! Having opened the shutters of the past, holding the crimson-platinum eagle standard in his hands, he felt the grace of the warm winds of gaming memories, the legendary times of almost twenty-five years ago, when his true Crusade began to pass through thousands of game worlds with brother-in-arms primarchs, starting with Chapai Ivan Vasilyevich and Pilot Brothers!!!! It Hat B Gaaaaaaan!!!!! Carried aaaaas!!!!!)))) the legendary times of almost twenty-five years ago, when his true Crusade began to go through thousands of game worlds with brother-in-arms primarchs, starting with Chapai Ivan Vasilyevich and the Pilot Brothers !!!! It Hat B Gaaaaaaan!!!!! Carried aaaaas!!!!!)))) the legendary times of almost twenty-five years ago, when his true Crusade began to go through thousands of game worlds with brother-in-arms primarchs, starting with Chapai Ivan Vasilyevich and the Pilot Brothers !!!! It Hat B Gaaaaaaan!!!!! Carried aaaaas!!!!!))))

y
yariko okami 03.04.22

familiar topic. I also switched to retro gaming lately. For DX11 and above, if it's not okay, they shove where it is necessary and not necessary, and on my card there are games only up to DX10 inclusive.
Here are some old interesting games that captivated me for several dozen hours
Longest Journey
Remember 11: The Age of Infinity
Threads of fate (ePSXe)
Dune 2000: Long Live the Fighters
..well, and of course domestic Space Rangers, where without them.

V
Vaipen 30.06.22

I remember there was a cool toy about a magician, I forgot the name. A dungeon of something there, in short. There you collect runes and spell cards. There, even at the beginning of the game, they give the task to bring a fire staff, which works like a flamethrower, and in another house in the city you can take a quest to exorcise the demon. There you need to buy a time dilation rune, then cast it in the house and have time to collect all the candles and put them in a pentogram.
Warlock is also a pretty sticky old diabloid.
Well, and of course a series of games Vizardry. To get acquainted with the classics of old games, this is just a must-have, if Skyrim, The Witcher and Dark Sols were collected and mixed together, you can just stick to infinity.

n
nadejda777 09.07.22

So what's so difficult about how to play old games? You just download the emulator, whether it's a Sega or Dandy game, you buy a usb joystick, and that's it, you play any game you want on your computer. And besides this, there are a bunch of thematic channels on YouTube on the topic of old games. You can just type in the name of the game, and in 95% of cases you will definitely find at least its passage, or even a group about it. Plus, if you wish, you can create such a channel yourself. At first, you may have to order promotion on social networks, as well as on Youtube itself, but I’m sure over time the channel will shoot and you can gain your audience, well, continue to play for fun, earn money from advertising, and further develop your channel.

F
Frost Norde 03.09.22

Spontaneously. I personally just accidentally discovered the original Doom 3 on my account, I decided to install it, plus find a fix for widescreen monitors. That is why I found myself here again, after 4 years