3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
a
allmax99 11.11.21 10:41 pm

Combining Games (Half-Life 2)

There are some console commands (for example prop_physics_create, prop_dynamic_create, ent_create, etc.) that only work in episodes, but do not work in normal half-life 2. I know that you can somehow connect episodes with half-life 2 itself by adding there are models, materials and some other folders. When I went to the directory with the game (I have an orange box), I saw that there were no such folders and nothing like that at all. There is only the steamapps folder, which contains some gcf archives. How do I then combine half-life 2 with two episodes and portal and is it possible?
23 Comments
Sort by:
p
pekabir 11.11.21

I remember seeing in 2008 a fully functional mod for a portal gun for xl2 ...

a
allmax99 11.11.21

pekabir
I need to combine portal, episode one and episode two with chl2 ...

p
pekabir 11.11.21

allmax99
yes there is such crap, google

a
allmax99 11.11.21

The problem is that I have an Orange Box, not just xl2 and episodes. In Orange box, all game content is stored in gcf-archives, and I don't know what to do with them. I heard about the GCFScape program, but I don't know how to use it. Please write, who knows, detailed instructions on how and where to unpack these gcf archives in order to combine hl2 with episodes and portal.

s
specter from TM 11.11.21

everything is quite simple, the structure is as follows:
* root * hl2 - this folder contains all content from halflife2, * root * hl2 maps - maps here, * root * hl2 sound - sounds here, * root * hl2 bin - here, roughly speaking, the game code (the possibilities in it, not the identifier), chl2 and ep1 are the oldest, ep2 is the newest, episode2 is in * root * ep2, the portal is * root * portal to
move the code from, for example, ep2 to the xl2 folder so that it gets all the functions is highly discouraged, the process of "upgrading" the engine is much more difficult than just transferring all the resources from the old game to the new one and launching there, in order to shoot portals in xl2, you need to throw resources from * root * hl2 into * root * portal, with ep2 the same story
the * root * folder in your pirate is SteamApps username half-life 2 for hl2, so the files should be on the path for example SteamApps username half-life 2 hl2 maps, but your question was that you did not find them there, the point is that the content of the game is stored in your pirate in the good old gsf archives, which Valv did not abandon so long ago (and in fact, I don’t even know if it is now possible to normally crank the content transfer on the face of a non-constipated game) , the game first of all looks at itself in the * root * folder, and if it does not find it there, then it takes from the GCF archive - in which the structure is exactly the same, the folder is hl2 and there is a map sound n shield
since the game first searches in its folder, and only then in the archive, then by throwing content into the game folder, you can override it thrown in, so you open all the GCFs of the desired game in turn with the GCF, and start unpacking the files from * root * / hl2 / GCFS into * root * / ep2 / in the episode2 folder, but do not throw in too much, otherwise you will turn it into whole hl2 - you need folders maps with maps, materials with textures, models with models, scenes with dialog animations, sound with dialogs and sounds themselves, perhaps more expressions with resource and perhaps some other that I forgot
this text should be enough to at least write an angry review about its indigestibility

a
allmax99 11.11.21

specter from TM
I have folders in the game directory: Base Source Engine 2 and Source 2007 Binaries. The first contains the following folders: bin, episodic, hl2, hl2_russian, platform. In the second: bin, ep2, episodic, hl2, portal, tf. In which of them do you need to unpack gcf?

s
specter from TM 11.11.21

hmm this is for sure a gsf pirate? in this case, everything is the same, only instead of separate folders Half-Life 2 Episode Two / ep2 or Portal / portal, they both lie just in the folder of their engine - Source 2007 Binaries / portal, everything is the same - the base source2 and source2007 folders are root folder, unpack gtsfshki in the one where you need, / ep2 is episode2 / portal is a portal

a
allmax99 11.11.21

specter from TM
I don’t understand, how does the base source engine 2 differ from the source 2007 binaries?

s
specter from TM 11.11.21

the actual version of the engine, as you yourself noticed orangebox games on a newer version were released, with new particle effects, dynamic lighting and so on,
please note that you need to unpack the content of xl2 not into the root / xl2 / subfolder, but into the / en2 / subfolder or / portal /, depending on what you want to achieve

a
allmax99 11.11.21

specter from TM
Say one more thing: from which of these gcf archives you need to take content, here is the screen:

s
specter from TM 11.11.21

hey, they also say, "half life 2" - half life two, "episode one" - episode one, "episodic 2007" also refers to ep1
if you suddenly lack standard materials / sounds / models, you will also need to unpack the source archives models, materials, and sounds (not 2007 US)

a
allmax99 11.11.21

Do I need to unpack all the gcf first, so that later the content of hl2 can be transferred to the portal? And one more thing: in my portal folder, which lies in the Source 2007 binaries, I already have a maps folder in which there are two subfolders graphs and soundcache. Do you just throw xl2 cards into this maps folder?
ps and what is winui?

s
specter from TM 11.11.21

why, only those that are needed, and then not entirely
but
files related to the interface, most likely it is not necessary to unpack it

a
allmax99 11.11.21

Thanks. It seems to have worked out. I just threw off the cards. Also, the question is a little off topic, there is a piece on Brin's table through which he called the guards. How can it be called through the console?

C
Cvoxalury 11.11.21

allmax99

It's kind of a piece of geometry, not a model, you can't call it.

a
allmax99 11.11.21

Cvoxalury
And why then in the console it is designated as model * 101?

C
Cvoxalury 11.11.21

allmax99

And who are you talking about?
About the small remote control on the table, which we see during our random teleportation:

Or about this metal remote control that Mossman hacks at the end:

If you

are talking about the first one, this is part of the geometry in both cases: If about the second one, you can spawn it via prop_dynamic_create props_combine / breenconsole

From what is more or less capable of replacing the remote control, I can only suggest props_lab / keypad. This is a remote with buttons and a blue screen that the rebels use at their points.

s
specter from TM 11.11.21

// ... yes, he has a PERSONAL ATM on the table

M
Mr. Rifleman 11.11.21

Running GCFScape retrieves all of these GCF files. I really doubt that these games can be combined.

a
allmax99 11.11.21

Can workspaces from Kleiner's lab be spawned?