3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
g
girl_without_address 11.11.21 10:43 pm

Game Impression (Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition)

I did not find a topic about it. So I'll start. I really like RPG as a genre. Creating a character, pumping as you want, a lot of missions, an open world and so on - all this fascinates. This game is kind of like a classic of the genre. I also tried to play it. So I don’t understand why the developers are so lazy? They wanted to make "old school" RPGs - that's good, but what prevented them from making a human interface? I understand in those distant times monitors were small, very little information was placed on the screen, so the interface had to be as small as possible and as many icons as possible. But what's the point now? I only dealt with him for half an hour. To understand how and where. Horror in general.
What did not please me - there is no minimap (to find it, you need to go to the menu), there is no display of health and mana (you need to climb into the character's characteristics), the icons of weapons and spells themselves are made so primitive that it is very difficult to understand them (also take into account that the game is in English) ... I believe in advance that this game is the great-grandfather of modern RPGs with a large world, a bunch of characters and so on, but why is it so harsh on modern players?
9 Comments
Sort by:
s
spellcustomer 11.11.21

In comparison with the original, it is very comfortable and modern. You just need to understand that this is not a new game, but an updated one. This is the same baldur's gate and not a single live RPG interface. For those who have played the original for a very long time, this is a real gift, nostalgia. But those who see it for the first time, of course, will not understand the wretched picture and ancient management. It is impossible to attract to modern standards something that is so hopelessly outdated. On the other hand, it even pins me, it's funny, for a change, throw Skyrim or something else like that and play the great-grandmother of the current representatives of the genre, the grass was greener)))

Another question is that they could not improve the old game, but republish it on a new engine ... The plot itself and the characters will give odds to some of the current "masterpieces".

g
girl_without_address 11.11.21

RPG is not a single interface.
I agree, but for this genre, I consider a laconic, convenient and intuitive interface one of the main requirements. Getting all these quest logs, character stats, inventory, spell lists, and so on together is no easy task. And here the developers took the easiest path - to leave this squalor as it is. For example, Skyrim is a great game, but the orientation on the console of the interface spoiled the overall feeling and added inconvenience. After that, you notice how pleasant it was to play Oblivion.

s
spellcustomer 11.11.21

girl_without_address
I think that such an issue was considered during the processing, but then it was swept away. BGEE with a different interface? Many fans might not like this. Difficult moment: How to improve the game, but keep it the same, recognizable at first sight? In principle, there is nothing so globally inconvenient there, it is easy to adapt. The game itself is quite schematic, and the controls are well matched.

p
peaceful-83 11.11.21

spellcustomer
I agree with the girl. The publisher just decided to earn extra money from the fans without really straining it. Will fans buy this edition? Possible, but unlikely. For example, I, too, was once a fan of the Doom universe, literally rubbed it into holes, went through official and unofficial additions. But I did not buy the recently released infamous BFG Edition. Because to add fullhd support and an hour of corridor dull gameplay, for me there is little incentive to buy again, something for which I have already paid once. It's the same here. Fans have long gone far and wide and the first and second parts with mods. Why do they need it? The game still remained "recognizable" for the 1998 graphics. But not remaking the prehistoric interface is just laziness and freebie on the part of the publisher, and not "concern for the fans."

s
spellcustomer 11.11.21

Peaceful-83 The
publisher just decided to make some money on the fans Eh ... well, that, perhaps, too. One does not exclude the other. I have no reason to give a big "credit" to current biovars, but I don't want to see another interface in this particular RPG either. Apparently, it's just me)))

i
ironHAMMER.ms 11.11.21

there is no display of health and mana (you need to go into the characteristics of the character)
Girl, have you even started the game?

s
serg.buryckin 11.11.21

She just doesn't know how to do it! (which pimp to click on)?

a
aist16 11.11.21

If you turn on "Training" at the start of the game, and try to understand the "Instructor", then you will not understand everything at once. Better to figure it out yourself, "at random."

S
Sater 11.11.21

Can you tell me what a spell save is and how to do it?