3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
t
tesla707 11.11.21 11:12 pm

Supported Graphics API (Firewatch)

Analyzed the game for supported graphics APIs. The result is a little bit surprised - in the source code of the game is, initialization on DirectX 9, DirectX 11, DirectX 12, and OpenGL (even has a few features DirectX 10, but does not initialize)
Spoiler

yet did not find out whether there is the initialization of all these the API, or in the code contains only prototypes of these functions. On my laptop (Intel HD Graphics 5500 with D3D_FEATURE_LEVEL_11_1) the game chose OpenGL for some reason (although the imported libraries have d3d11.dll, but nothing is imported from the address import table from it, only functions from OpenGL). Perhaps this is the problem of optimizing this game - of course, the opengl.dll library is not so cool and is optimized as the professionally developed d3d11.dll
10 Comments
Sort by:
A
Arsen Shakhnazaryan 11.11.21

Can I run at 10.9?

L
Lex slim 11.11.21

I have directx 11

D
DimosOFF 11.11.21

VioO
goes to dx 10.

L
Lehander 11.11.21

Assembler)

M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

the meaning of the topic. it is necessary to know on which engine it is assembled. if on ye4 and unitu5 of the latest versions, there may be support for dx12, despite the fact that it actually washes and will not be.
then it's some kind of indie campaign, but then it might not be surprising that she could be under ogl. In incentive, most of the indie for this api with engines compatible with dx tk there is compatibility for unix bubnix ubuntu xp x64 and so on.

V
VioO 11.11.21

although, I also started on direc 10. lags and friezes did not notice. I just need to immediately before loading, so that there are no crashes, set up the graphics that fit your computer,
although, the next time you boot after leaving the game, it crashes again :(

t
tesla707 11.11.21

MunchkiN 616
"It is necessary to know which engine it is built on."
and what will it give you? The developer is free to choose any API for initialization, regardless of the engine used.
meaning in the topic? - just what I wrote above. Developers have written prototypes of all possible APIs in the code, but initialization takes place on OpenGL.

I'm wondering, those who have unsubscribed here about Dx10 and so on, share your conclusions as you found it.

M
MunchkiN 616 11.11.21

tesla707
The developer is free to choose any API for initialization, regardless of the engine used.
not free. only if he has the source code and is actually interested in releasing it on ogl, for example. in modern engines, versions of the api or device are simply indicated for subsequent conversion into something that can work outside the engine. try to run the wrong version of the api or the wrong version to some sort of sruenyn or Ethanon Engine. for example, ce3 under dx8.x and shm2.0
Developers have written prototypes of all possible APIs in the code, but initialization takes place on OpenGL.
well then it is clear that)
but this brings us back to the reasoning about the engine and, for example, sru engyn 3. it is quite possible to assemble it, initialize it for an application in dx9 and 10, but it looks fantastic. although 90% of the shaders will work correctly.
most likely what is written is just garbage left over from automatic compression if the engine is unreal engine 4.

t
tesla707 11.11.21

MunchkiN 616 is
"not free"
everything is clear. After that, I did not read further.

D
David Lyubenko 11.11.21

tesla707
I ran it in dx9 mode, running it with the -force-d3d9 parameter, I just wrote it in the properties of the shortcut to the file address. Launched 9800gt on GayFors, and passed it in this mode.