3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
SeriynomerDVA 12.11.21 11:11 pm

I screwed up.

Disassembled my Chieftec model no APS-800C to clean it. And I did not assemble it correctly, the wiring got into the impeller of the fan itself, preventing it from spinning (that is, it deprived its power supply unit of cooling)
I did not notice this immediately, but after about 15 minutes when I smelled a Smell, not burnt, but this type as a new device when you buy and just remove the packaging, it smells like that. and here it was the same. And then I got through! The fan does not spin on the power supply! I turned off the PC and removed the cover from the power supply (I managed it instantly), touching the transformer and the radiators, I calmed down a little, since I hold onto them with my hand quite realistically (it does not burn). Already 2-3 days have passed, everything is working fine. no smell, bp cold. I want to check all voltages on all lines with a tester. If it turns out that is normal, is it worth changing the power supply? I was just frightened by the smell, I did not have time to burn it, but this obviously did not add to his life, there was a hope that this model has protection against overheating, but alas, it is not there.The PS224 supervisor used in the APS-800C does not have such a function,
6 Comments
Sort by:
S
SeriynomerDVA 12.11.21

Dexter_Korg
T e, drive on, but just in case, look for a replacement? There is one thing, so that my bp would not burn my mother or vidyashka.

S
Seifer1986 12.11.21

He can still work normally for several years.

And of course there is a risk of damaging other hardware if it comes up.
But after an unsuccessful cleaning, the PSU screwed up. Almost immediately after the launch, a puff of smoke crashed and appeared. Then nothing except the power supply unit suffered. :)
(in that case, the power supply units were located on top .. by the way, I like this location better, faster access to the switch if that).

M
MunchkiN 616 12.11.21

if you stop the fan, nothing will happen. yes, it can heat up to 100 degrees there, but this is not a special problem.
if the fan is not spinning now then this is already a problem. or the pitch is unstable.

B
Black.Card 12.11.21

It is better to let the master clean the next time :)
And according to the subject, he can really plow with you another xs lope, and maybe he will die tomorrow.
You were told above that the test is under load, but in the static mode the testers will not show you anything.

7Rain7 12.11.21

Perhaps somewhere the wiring touched a heated element and smelled a little, it's okay. I don't know about the quality of the chefteks, but in normal power supplies there are all sorts of protections. If overloaded or overheated, the computer would be cut out. So do not be afraid, monitor the work and everything will be ok.

s
safot 12.11.21

SeriynomerDVA
The smell was of varnish from the coating of the transformer winding, appears mainly when heated above 40 degrees (smells new) and up to 80, then it smells burnt. To check the power supply, you need a load stand (measure the drawdown), so you can simply measure the voltage at the outputs, but it is not the voltage that is more important, but the drawdown. In general, sit on it calmly, then that was not particularly scary.