3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
K
Kirill Manannikov 17.11.21 02:29 am

Games installed on a new hdd do not work.

Good day gentlemen.
I am describing the problem I assembled the computer, installed Windows from the off site on ssd samsung nvme. Everything seems to be normal, but after installing several games on the hard drive, I ran into the fact that the textures are not loaded or the game just hangs.
In the task manager, the disk is loaded at 100% but the read speed is zero.
The screw is new. I reinstalled the same games on ssd, no problem.
Help.

4 Comments
Sort by:
S
SonyK_2 17.11.21

Kirill Manannikov
Kirill Manannikov wrote:
... The disc is 100% loaded ...
Except for games, in programs, etc. no problems with the HDD? - if there is, see what uses the disk in this way. You can also try to disable unnecessary services that can "force the screw" - for example, Superfetch (if this is still in more modern Windows), etc.
Spoiler
... I reinstalled the same games on ssd, there is no problem ...
Because the SSD has a higher speed of the disk itself than the HDD (even a regular SATA 3, not to mention NVMe) and access to files in different places of the disk is the same. In the hard case, the access speed on the outer diameter (the edge of the "pancake") is higher than on the inner diameter (near the spindle). The maximum that such an HDD is capable of (if it is not installed in RAID) is something like this:
Spoiler I tested it on my same one when there was a new one. The file size was chosen to be 128 MB, because the disk has its own cache of 64 MB. If you test with this size and less, it shows the speed of not a disk, but SATA 3.

PS I have not tried to put games on it yet - there are 2 SSDs (separately for the system and games, in the profile), I use the hard one as a data storage.
In more modern games that require constant reading of data from the disk, the speed of a regular HDD may not be enough - textures, etc. will not have time to load, especially if defragmentation has not been done on it for a long time.

S
Space Ðœarine 17.11.21

Kirill Manannikov
I see 2 options - either you have a low-quality power supply unit and it shook this hard.
Either you've got a marriage.
Judging by the reviews, this hard disk has a fairly large percentage of defects. And many similar problems recognized by marriage in 1-2 star reviews.

v
v039483 17.11.21

first, check the quality of the HDD connection, SMART CRC Error is present - this should not be! most likely SATA cable x ... quality, needs to be replaced.

K
Kirill Manannikov 17.11.21

Probably solved the problem. I tried to change the effect connector 0, but I remembered that somewhere on the forums I read about the settings in the BIOS. Checked in configure sata as stood IDE changed to AHCI and voila, like the problem went away. I will watch.