3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
R
Russian Nabigatel 18.11.21 10:25 pm

Source engine, should you throw it away? (Half-Life 2)

I see Gabe Newell following Carmack's example in terms of engines. Carmack didn’t change the concept of geometry creation and Gabe didn’t change it either. I believe that in the course you need to change the concept of creating geometry to Anril's, that is, cutting out rooms from an infinite brush (CSG), so it will be much easier and faster to make a map. Yes, and it's time to remove the compilation to @ beny,
there will be fewer errors, like all sorts of faces aka Leak. And by the way, in this case, you can already see the result in the editor. + I would like to be able to test the map in the editor, as is done, for example, in the Serious Editor. It would be nice.
41 Comments
Sort by:
A
Alert 18.11.21

Source engine, should you throw it away?
No.

O
Onotolevich 18.11.21

Source shit. Could not create one like cruzis!

K
Kriegg 18.11.21

Actually, at the moment, I don't really like the source. It was good at the time of the release of HL2, but now it is clearly not the same level ... Another question is that it makes no sense to change it now. If the third episode, let it stand on it forever, comes out with the graph of the third battle ...) it will look like a children's matinee where there are only adults.

G
Gee-man 18.11.21

Of course you do. I am throwing out Sors every day for four hours.
In general, I don’t know. They have already delayed it so much that the release of the game on the engine at least eight years ago will look simply indecent, even if we make allowances for the fact that this is a continuation of the cult game.

s
specter from TM 18.11.21

"cutting out rooms from an endless brush"
wai wai, anryl was created for corridor shooters
// considering what the thaw and pillbox came out on, there is no doubt about what will be released 3

w
warp 37 18.11.21

CS: GO looks pretty normal, Dota 2 too. Should I throw it away? I think no. The engine is old, but not bad.
Video: The engine can roll out a decent picture, even if there are no jerking cruises DX11 and PhysX.

R
Russian Nabigatel 18.11.21

I just said about geometry, yes, the graphics are good, but this geometry with "brushes" is kept from the first quake engine, and after all there are people who buttherr about "fu! What kind of shit is this, I thought the engine is good, but it turns out there is geometry Quake brushes, fu! sucks! Unreal Engine is better! ". It's time to update the geometry, the engine is technologically advanced, and the concept of creating geometry is very old, it's a shame for such an engine. Of course, CSG technology is also old, but very reliable, it has long been proven and is still used in a bunch of engines. Compilation in a source, especially if the card has shader water, is very resource-intensive.
ZY the source engine is constantly updated and improved (but not in geometry, but in graphic effects), you can see this if you drive the Source Engine into pedivics.
And yet, in Half-Life 2 the seventh version of the resource engine, and in the second episode 15 (if I'm not mistaken), another version of the engine can be determined by the game protocol, for example: the seventh protocol in CSS, and the seventh engine version, these are the nuances.
Sursian geometry was relevant in the days of Quake, and now it has almost lost its relevance.

M
Mosquito 18.11.21

Source lives and will live!
Portal 2, Dota 2, CS: GO only confirm this!

S
Svarthjarta 18.11.21

I don’t know of any bugs with Source, everything works fine for me. Brush geometry, so what? Now almost any modern computer, if not everyone, can easily pull it on itself, and this process will not take away too much memory from it.
Why change what's already good?

I
Interface 18.11.21

Valve_eng
but this geometry with "brushes" is still kept from the first quake engine, and there are people who buttherr about "fu! What shit is this, I thought the engine is good, but it turns out the geometry with brushes is like in quake, fu! Sucks! Unreal Engine is even better! " It's time to update the geometry, the engine is technologically advanced, and the concept of creating geometry is very old, it's a shame for such an engine.
And ordinary players don't care how the geometry is done there? When creating a level at a high level (see examples in HL2 EP2), you can do no worse than with some "pick a brush, size, create a terrain".
Well, there are those who, having typed a few development terms, consider themselves to be cool game designers ("the engine is old, why don't they change it, blah blah blah"). They usually don't realize that Source is actually one of the best. To hold out since 2004, it is necessary to have great opportunities for modification and improvement. Source has it.
And, since most of the games on it are corridor shooters, and not open worlds, the brush geometry is very suitable.
The same Serious Engine. The levels are huge, there are open spaces, but what uses? Yes, he is also "brushed". Serious Sam 3 with its good graphics, some level of destructibility looks good, doesn't it?

E
Elsperanto 18.11.21

Carmack didn’t change the concept of geometry creation and Gabe didn’t change it either.
This is not critical, but Carmack and Gabe left the most convenient way,
And really changing the concept is as if instead of primitive triangles they introduced primitive quadrangles like on Saturn at one time (a rather interesting solution, not without tangible advantages, by the way, but what are you talking about it's just a matter of convenience.

I think that in the course you need to change the concept of creating geometry to Anril's, that is, cutting out rooms from an endless brush
There is nothing easier and faster, a matter of habit. In sauerbraten, in general, everything is done by pulling cubes from cubes, I must say the rare XYNTA with anti-aliasing despite the good concept.

And it's time to remove the compilation to @ beny
This is already a question about the relevance of bsp. Let's watch? Portal 2, dota 2. CS: GO. Actually, bsp is more than coping with its functions, the question is closed.

+ I would like to be able to test the map in the editor, as is done, for example, in the Serious Editor. It would be nice.
Not bad, yes. However, I note that from the first to the last version of the serious engine, suddenly, a brush engine! In the latest versions it did not work much, but if we consider the first, then despite the excellent engine itself with cool and interesting technical solutions, the editor was just awfully awkward.

I just said about geometry, yes, the graphics are good, but this geometry with "brushes" is kept from the quake engine of the first
So what? Are brashes not fashionable all of a sudden? Well, if you don't want brushes, go to NeoAxis, you won't find a single brush there. The engine is good, yes. One drawback - it is impossible to work in the map editor. The levels are glued from the models. Well, why such happiness is necessary?

and after all there are people who buttherr about "wow! what a shit, I thought the engine is good, but it turns out there is geometry with brushes like in quake, phew! sucks! Unreal Engine is better!"
The opinions of 12-year-old "divilopirs" from the near-development dumpsters of the Runet should worry you in the last place.
In particular:
> Unreal Engine is even better.
In terms of grafon and technology, it has no competitors either, the extreme enjin can only catch up with the second version in some way. And it sounds like this anryl is the worst engine in the world.

Of course, CSG technology is also old, but very reliable, it has long been proven and is still used in a bunch of engines.
Of course, BSP technology is also old, but very reliable and it has already proven this long ago and is still used in a bunch of engines.
Do you feel the difference? I don’t smell it.

Sursian geometry was relevant in the days of Quake, and now it has almost lost its relevance.
Say it to the face of the destruction scenes in the second portal. Well, and many more moments in all Valv games, yes.

The resource will outlive many more engines and will not lose its relevance. As GunFaiter said: "To last from 2004, it needs a lot of modification and improvement. Source has it."

// By the way, TS has been on the xl1 forum for a long time, and I still remember that he is quite an amateur in the most ordinary things, not to mention game development.

R

There are very few games on the resource, not counting games from Volvo, remember how many games you made on Unreal Engine 2-2.5 http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BF%D0%B8%D1% 81% D0% BE% D0% BA_% D0% B8% D0% B3% D1% 80_% D0% BD% D0% B0_% D0% B4% D0% B2% D0% B8% D0% B6% D0% BA% D0% B5_Unreal_Engine
Sors doesn't have this, and never will.
ZY I am not a fan of sources and not a fan of the Unreal Engine.

E
Elsperanto 18.11.21

Sors doesn’t have that, and it won’t be.
AND? Surs is primarily a Valv engine for themselves, few licensed it.
Anryl opposite the engine for sale was originally. The same anryl3 was just an appendage to the engine.
The number of games is not an indicator, but the quality of games is an indicator. And the resource here even does anryl.

K
KIR_AKA_NIK 18.11.21

The games that produced taps on the gold source and source are almost legendary and are the best representatives of their genre. Author leaked.

A
Alert 18.11.21

In addition, if you recall the heaps of fan modifications, some of them are not even 3D shooters. I remember about some kind of ball ... it doesn't matter ... In general, the author was leaked and disgraced.

R

The games that produced taps on the gold source and source are almost legendary and are the best representatives of their genre.
Yeah and the Valves stupidly cut loot on Dota 2, Counter-Strike (1.6, Source, Condition Zero + GO will soon become paid), Team Fortress 2, DoD and DoD: S, HL2: DM, etc.
Everyone buys games, and Gabe sits, bathed in money and thinks: "Wow, how many bobbles I cut down on these idiots! OMG", and not only Gabe, but also Carmack.
Gabe just thinks how to cut down even more greens. Plus
, if you remember the heaps of fan mods.
Mods are mods, they don't count, so merge.

A
Alert 18.11.21

Modifications are modifications, they do not count, so merge.
Yes, these modifications can make many games with the u3 engine created by professionals.

Yeah and the Valves stupidly cut loot on Dota 2, Counter-Strike (1.6, Source, Condition Zero + GO will soon become paid), Team Fortress 2, DoD and DoD: S, HL2: DM, etc.
Everyone buys games, and Gabe sits, bathed in money and thinks: "Wow, how many bobbles I cut down on these idiots! OMG", and not only Gabe, but also Carmack.
You seemed to be talking about the "inferiority" of the engine, where does this have to do with it? If you personally don’t like Gabe and Carmack say so, don’t shame.

M
Mosquito 18.11.21

I remember how it was news that Valve hired the developers of some mod (I don't remember the name) for the second Half

E
Elsperanto 18.11.21

Gabe just thinks how to cut down even more greens.
I gave your opinion a spin. And the axis was my genital organ.

Spoiler

ENCRYPTED BL * D, THIS WAS FUCKED! DRAIN IT FROM HERE ON * WHY, I WILL NOT SIT HERE, BL * D! I WILL NOT BE SITTING WITH THIS SHITTING HOUSE, bitch, fuck, huh. HOOLY YOU HAVE A CRAZY POSITIONED ME, BL * D, HE SAME MU * AK FULL, BL * D! Get out of here, fuck! IDYBY! Bl * aad ... Go ... b * I, fucking! bl ... Because of you ... get out of here f * ck! Get out of here f * ck, or I'll kill you f * ck! Go over there at the corner, f * ck. So that in five minutes, bitch, I’m silent, or I’ll SUCH you, BL * D, HERE WITH THESE HANDS, I understand! Phew, f * ck, phew, f * ck!

V
Vitaly 1996 18.11.21

The Source engine has many advantages over other engines:
- The physics of the game is on the top five - a lot of things and phenomena behave naturally;
- High clarity of the image of small details (well, there are inscriptions, scratches, small wires, etc.)
- Low requirements for a computer (1 GB of RAM and 256 MB of video is quite enough for good rendering of textures with a minimum amount of time) The
resource will never become outdated and if the Valves improve the engine, then it will be better than, for example, Serious Engine 3.5 or Unreal Engine 3.