3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
a
allmax99 18.11.21 11:31 pm

Mysterious Textures (Half-Life 2)

I watched a quick passage of the game and saw that when the main character flew on the board over the citadel, the textures of the floor and walls of the building changed. Everything seemed to be smeared in them: weapons, surrounding objects, hands of the protagonist, in general, everything that was opposite these textures. Who knows what kind of texture it is? Very interesting!
9 Comments
Sort by:
A
Anomel Suna 18.11.21

allmax99
It's just that the textures weren't loaded.

a
allmax99 18.11.21

Den Good
I decided to play it myself and see it. I rode in the trolley, and then with the help of the console command I got out of it and landed on the glass floor, where alliance soldiers run out of one door and run through the other door. I turned around in the direction from which my trolley was driving and noticed that while it was in this place with the textures everything was fine, but when it went a little further, the textures of the walls completely changed. Everything began to smear in them. So, it seems to me the reason here is completely different ...

S
Sidorovich12 18.11.21

allmax99
Well, it is possible that the developers specially conceived it so that high-quality textures were in the player's field of vision, and so that they would not hang during fast movement, the quality was lowered in other parts of the map.

W
Wildstylo 18.11.21

Sidorovich wrote the whole rule. A similar system works in GTA 3, Vice City. In order not to load the computer, it is naturally done

a
allmax99 18.11.21

The most interesting thing is that when the health and suit indicators are opposite such textures, the indicators turn bright yellow.
I wonder why this is so?

M
Mr. Rifleman 18.11.21

I think I guess what you mean. It is found at the edges of the map. The inactive parts of the levels and the unmasked edges of the map, where the player cannot get into without using cheats, start to glow and even go with some patterns, and the screen and HUD brighten. Well, bad description, but I think it's pretty clear. As in the original game - I don’t know, but in mods, sometimes parts of the level, where the player will no longer get, become inactive, and this kind of crap also happens there.

s
specter from TM 18.11.21

something like this? // from 2:30

C
Cvoxalury 18.11.21

allmax99

Do not listen to these unrecognizable people above, about GTA, well lol. This is not loading (there is no loading in Source in this sense), this is a nodraw texture, which itself is not drawn and on which there is a "trace" from any passing objects. You can think of it as an artifact. The texture is used by developers to optimize in places that the player should not see.

x
xDDGx 18.11.21

nodraw has no effect, polygons marked with nodraw are simply removed by the compiler and the picture behind the nodraw-wall is drawn as if this wall was not there. In the speedrun, which allmax99 watches, this, by the way, should also be seen, and more than once.
An exception if the nodraw wall belongs to a brush that has nothing behind it. Then the effect appears as in the screenshot of allmax99. This is called the Hall of Mirrors (HOM) effect. It was still in Doom and HL1 and manifests itself if the engine simply does not know what to draw (for example, if noclip flies out of the map), or rather, if it has nothing to draw. Such "no nothing" areas are not updated when the image is displayed on the screen, and therefore traces of what the player was previously looking at remain on them.
An illustrative example:

this brush has one of the walls painted with nodraw (on the right we see the wall textured normally). Draws through this wall the surfaces visible behind this brush. Now, if there is nothing behind the brush (a hole in the floor), then we get HOM.
Interestingly, the beta (or its compilers) behaves differently, and behind the hole in the floor, we see only a skybox. True, the hole had to be made manually, in the screenshot above it was made by the compiler itself (optimization).

Just in case, the map with the source:
http://img.playground.ru/images/0/7/nodraw_test.7z