3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
F
Fluffy_Dumpling 24.11.21 12:59 am

The pointlessness of paying for digital copies

Peter Sunde, one of the founders of the popular torrent tracker The Pirate Bay, opposes the idea that people have to pay money for every digital copy they download, and to prove his point, he created a special device that constantly creates copies.

Copyright holders have a different opinion. They believe that every digital copy has value. An “unlicensed” copy is lost profits. They have repeatedly used this argument in court, including against Peter Sunde himself, he still owes corporations millions of dollars in compensation for allegedly lost profits.
In his art project, Peter Sunde brought the idea to the point of absurdity.
A Raspberry Pi mini computer with an LCD display runs a Python script that continuously copies the same file to / dev / null - the Narls Barkley Crazy song.
According to the logic of corporations, each copy brings them losses. If so, the entire industry will soon go bankrupt - after all, The Kopimashin causes them "damage" in the tens of millions of dollars every day.
The methodology for calculating the "damage" from copying unlicensed files has always outraged Peter Sunde. In his opinion, corporations greatly overestimate the cost of pirated copies.
The Kopimashin produces 100 copies of a file per second, which is more than 8 million copies of a file per day. According to the method of calculating the lost profits of corporations, this means a daily "loss" of about $ 10 million. As files are copied, the figure of "damage" is updated on the LCD of the mini-computer.

The Kopimashin is part of an art project dedicated to digital copying, which is preparing for a future exhibition.
“I want to show the absurdity of the very principle of determining the cost of a digital copy,” says the author. - The machine is very crude and demonstrates that there is no threat to the industry at all. But if you follow their rhetoric and way of thinking, it will bankrupt them. "
The main goal of the project is to show that the millions of compensation invoices issued to Peter Sunde and his colleagues from The Pirate Bay have nothing to do with reality. They are as illusory as the numbers on The Kopimashin's screen.
In fact, the distribution of "unlicensed" files, on the contrary, stimulates the sale of music. Users of torrent trackers spend the most on purchasing licensed content, which has been repeatedly shown by various studies.
The Raspberry Pi machine, meanwhile, runs non-stop and continues to bankrupt the label that distributes Narls Barkley songs. “The one at my house has already made 120 million copies,” says Peter Sundé. "That equates to $ 150 million in losses to the record industry — following their logic."
5 Comments
Sort by:
S
SАLEM 24.11.21

Denuvo execryptor to help ..

s
stalker7162534 24.11.21

Approximate translation: "Hi Gavin! I bought all your songs on iTunes when I had an iphone. Then I switched to Android and had to buy again. Now I have a Windows Phone and I want to buy them again, but I have no money. Do you mind if I use mp3 from youtube until I have enough money to buy songs again? "

Earlier, when the technique was undeveloped, when buying a record for a gramophone, you paid those who made the record, and they paid the author.
Now (after the advent of tape recorders and other things) you do not need the services of those who copy. You wouldn't pay a photo studio to take a photo with your camera, would you? (and by photographing yourself with a digital camera - you caused awesome damage to the photo studio and film manufacturers !!!!!!!!!)
The question is, what will the author live on? The answer to your concerts. Why the hell is he claiming billions paid for one performance?

D
Don thomas falcone 24.11.21

There is one but: the copy does not cause financial damage to the company until it is received by anyone who could potentially buy a license. Those. the account goes not to the number of copies made, but to the number of people who downloaded them (but otherwise they would have bought litsuha). Although in this case it is almost impossible to calculate the damage.

s
stalker7162534 24.11.21

But what if doctors begin to demand a bribe from all the descendants of the person they saved?

R
RussianQuaker 24.11.21

Purely psychologically, a jump from the Internet is not perceived as theft. And why the heck he (the Internet) is still needed then.

It's the same as jerking off - it means damaging prostitution salons. You could have paid for sex services. And you took it, you scoundrel, and jerked off. Also, along the way, capturing the aromas of his sour pussy - as a result of the evaporation of the podzalupny curd in the process of friction. Generally a bastard!