3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
M
Marquess 25.11.21 12:58 am

Handshake

Good day to all.

Yesterday I wondered how long ago the handshake appeared, and what it means. Why shake hands at all when meeting?
10 Comments
Sort by:
V
Vanya Rygalov 25.11.21

Heh, heh, heh ... In ancient times, wild people shook each other's limbs when they met. Then the church called this greeting handicap and forbade it.

E
Evil Spirit Yambuya 25.11.21

As a rule, everything is rooted in distant times. For example, such a phenomenon "when a man lets a woman in front", entering a building, shop, etc ... goes back as far as the Stone Age. But if at the present time, it is supposedly considered as a gentleman's gesture ... then everything was completely different. Primitive people, approaching the cave, whether they were their own or not familiar ... it was a woman who was sent in front of it, if some fierce beast suddenly sat down there ... but the men were waiting, if suddenly something ... then they already attacked the beast.

You can also ask how and when the first appeared, for example: a kiss-)) Scientists are still arguing there about this-))

This topic also concerns the phenomenon "why does a man take off his headdress in the room."

By the way, we noticed that some people, when shaking hands, look at the hand ... some in the eyes. Also, some have a strong grip ... and some, like a "jelly girl" -))

By the way, at school and in other schools. institutions ... studying history is not mentioned anywhere, for example, that during the Roman Empire, only whores walked in high-heeled shoes ("stilettos"). And modern girls and women were forced to do this kind of hnyu ... Coincidence ??

N
Nighthawkreal 25.11.21

I heard a version that it came from the knights - as a sign of good intentions, they took off the combat glove from their hand and stretched their hand forward.

D
DenisZotov2014 25.11.21

In the Middle Ages, such a gesture was used by the knights. Thus, they showed that they were unarmed and had nothing in their hands, such a peculiar gesture of friendliness and showing their good intentions. Then times passed, customs changed and to this day there is a handshake between men, and it is still customary to do this with a free hand, without a glove.

B
Balda716 25.11.21

I don’t shake hands with the well-groomed and mannequined ones - I’m hollow.

R
RussianQuaker 25.11.21

for example, that during the Roman Empire, only whores wore high-heeled shoes ("stilettos"). And modern girls and women were forced to do this kind of hnyu ... Coincidence ??

No, not a coincidence :)

O
Okruta 25.11.21

In ancient times, wild people, when they met, shook each other's members.
In the primitive tribes of either Africa or Oceania, this is now practiced. But whether it was in Europe - they somehow do not remember the mentions.
In the Middle Ages, such a gesture was among the knights.
In principle, everything is logical. But there is one "but": a deep handshake, when not shaking the palm, but the forearm is otherwise also called the Roman handshake.

R
RussianQuaker 25.11.21

Okruta Nice
handshake.

s
stalker7162534 25.11.21

A sign that you do not wish to harm, there is no weapon in your hand. Instead of shaking hands, the Chingachkuk raised their right hand - like look, I don't hold a tomahawk in my hand.

R
RussianQuaker 25.11.21

stalker7162534
No tomahawk , a couple of grenades would be nice to treat a guest.