3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
T
TheGoshka 14.01.22 10:37 pm

The update needs space on the system drive (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

When updating, I ran into a problem that for updating, the patch requires space on the system disk, I have 4 GB free, and I need 7 GB to unpack, but before that I installed the updates normally and the program did not complain about the space. What should I do? And by the way I calculated that a maximum of 50 GB should be occupied on my system, and 71/75 GB is occupied. How so?
22 Comments
Sort by:
1948865 14.01.22

Goshka Kitcha
Clean the system disk to free 7-8 GB. The easiest way is to disable the paging file, write / install the update, then enable it.

D
Danil01 14.01.22

Goshka Kitcha
Stupid question, and simple answer: Finally clean your system!

R
Ruider 14.01.22

What kind of idiotic question is that? You do not have enough disk space and ask what should you do? Make room.

g
gmh4589 14.01.22

Goshka Kitcha
Another 20 extra gigs are system restore points, you can delete them too, there will be enough space for the update

G
Gutsz 14.01.22

Clean your discs! Do not tedious program games delete. And it will be ok

C
Cucumber312 14.01.22

Delete restore points.

And this, something tells me that the system disk is littered with games.

D
DStrifer 14.01.22

Hell! How can you be so dumb and put games on the system drive?

A
Alex Coachman 14.01.22

DStrifer
Which also seems to be an SSD.

s
st029 14.01.22

Goshka Kitcha
Look at the folder on the system drive users/"username"/ appData/local/temp. A lot of garbage can accumulate in it, it can (and should) be removed, you will free up a lot of space.

D
DStrifer 14.01.22

Alex Coachman I
doubt it.

O
Oleg Bervinov 14.01.22

without a swap file, the witcher most likely won't even start and the system will whine all the time that "there is not enough memory", now I'll close something for you, for example the browser.

N
NatanieLzZ 14.01.22

DStrifer
patch during installation is temporarily unpacked to C, and then transferred to a folder and the game. So this does not mean that he puts on C, he may simply not have enough space for temporary files

O
Old_Nick 14.01.22

DStrifer
It doesn't matter where the game itself is "standing". It unpacks the temporary resources of the patch into the system TEMP.
Hence the advice: st029 "....Look at the folder on the system
drive users/"username"/ appData/local/temp...."
in the future ;)
Oleg Bervinov "..without a swap file, the witcher most likely won't even start.."
It's not about launching the game, read carefully: "disable the swap file, write/install the update, then enable it."
But I would also move the paging file to another drive.
In general, the best solution is to first read specialized computer forums on the topic of cleaning / saving space on the system disk. And then they will advise on the game now;)

D
DStrifer 14.01.22

Old_Nick
fully agrees and the swap file is on another drive!))) I'm not even talking about the Downloads folder)

1948865 14.01.22

Oleg Bervinov
First, disable the paging file - install the update, then enable the paging file. Everything is intelligible... More attentively, please. Interestingly, if a person has 16GB of RAM, for example, it also, apparently, will not start?

T
TheGoshka 14.01.22

Old_Nick
Thanks for helping, I just changed the location of the Temp folder and everything went!
For those who have a similar problem: Computer (RMB) - Properties - Additional system parameters - Advanced - Environment variables - Change the location of the folders and you're done.

O
Oleg Bervinov 14.01.22

too, it's not about the hardware, but about the architecture of the OS, and more specifically, the OS constantly unloads data from the RAM that is not needed right now and caches it in the swap file, RAM, by definition, should not be loaded at 100%.

1948865 14.01.22

Oleg Bervinov
Dear, the system works correctly even in the absence of a paging file (with more than 16 GB of RAM at the moment). All the myths about its necessity are due only to Microsoft's attempts to use this active cache for the purposes of "system recovery", a VERY important event log, etc. With a large (at least sufficient) amount of RAM, the point in unloading and caching disappears by itself, because. RAM itself does an excellent job of temporary storage. The cache is only needed to save temporary data that is automatically deleted from RAM when the power is turned off. I didn’t catch the point about the architecture of the OS, because in general it does not affect the interaction of RAM with the hard drive in any way. And that's what we have: 500 MB for the most voracious OS, 3000-4000 MB for The Witcher 3, 1000 MB for related programs (antivirus, etc.). )= maximum 6000 MB of RAM download. In general, I advise you to disable everything related to the cache (of course, with a strong CPU, adequate RAM and normal BIP / UPS). This, of course, does not apply to Windows superassemblies of the "Beast / Flies / From Guru" type.
NOT TO LOOK SMART,
BUT THAT YOU UNDERSTAND RIGHT RIGHT NOW!

O
Oleg Bervinov 14.01.22

Influences. The architecture is not hardware, but software, for example, for Unix-like operating systems, the paging file is arranged differently. By architecture, it means the classification of memory in the OS, namely physical and virtual (aka the paging file), the OS makes sure that whatever the RAM is loaded, more than 90%, if this happens, the OS starts to unload data that is not are used right now in the swap file, in case of a critical shortage, everything that eats a lot of memory. The very concept of a paging file does not match your statement. The cache is only needed to save temporary data that is automatically deleted from RAM when the power is turned off. And what cache are we talking about?
What about system restore? Or are you talking about crash dumps? So you don’t need them, but the OS is very necessary, for self-diagnosis, most of the problems that arise at startup, the OS solves itself, thanks to core dumps, and you don’t even know about it.
System logs are very important for diagnosing the operation of the OS and they are also stored, not in RAM.
Sorry, you are suggesting to ignore the advice of the OS developers and disable the entire cache, but at the same time you forget to argue why it needs to be disabled. Do you have an MTA or MCSA or MCSE certificate to give out such advice?
That's just, usually in bydlosbork, "everything not needed" is disabled. For example, system restore, half of the services have been cut out, crash dump, logging, paging file, hiberfile and a bunch of "completely unnecessary" modules for OS operation have been disabled.

1948865 14.01.22

Oleg Bervinov
which can dramatically load all your RAM (we are talking about 16 GB minimum), the availability of adequate UPS is welcome. In a word, I am leading to the fact that no one will die from disabling the unfortunate virtual memory on the HDD in the presence of good (with a margin) RAM virtual memory. All events and "important" diagnostic files will remain on your hard drive, nothing will escape you. With the same success, you can set the size of the swap file to 100-200 mb, because they are quite enough for all the "importances" nothing will escape you. With the same success, you can set the size of the swap file to 100-200 mb, because they are quite enough for all the "importances" nothing will escape you. With the same success, you can set the size of the swap file to 100-200 mb, because they are quite enough for all the "importances"
Conduct an experiment: transfer the paging file to a removable HDD / TN, turn off the computer - turn off the removable one and turn it on again? What will happen, do you think? All your data on the operation and diagnostics of the system will be on your main hard drive ... And why? - ask you, yes, because the OS simply duplicates all the "necessary" information for its correct operation on the same hard drive), and saves files to the swap file solely for optimization and quick access to them through the buffer of this fastest access. Therefore, I am writing about the presence of UPS (uninterruptible power supply), if the system unexpectedly shuts down from a jump / power outage.
And you’re already getting personal)) I think it’s strange the question about developer certificates, because I don’t pretend to be one iota ... About the “sawn” swap file in gray assemblies is a myth in my opinion, because the system is still at least minimal, but will create.
SpoilerIn no way did I want to hurt your feelings .. Not for the sake of shit ... Not for the sake of praise .. I apologize if something is wrong)