3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
V
Vladimir835 14.01.22 11:51 pm

Thoughts about the past. Happy birthday Xenus! Let's revive the forum! (Xenus.)

Recently there was the anniversary of Xenus: Boiling Point. 10 years, round date. Let's celebrate this holiday with the revival of the game forum. Is there anyone alive here? Is anyone else playing the game? What else are Xenus fans playing now? What are your memories of the game? What did you like, what didn't you like? Come on, tell me)) And it's boring somehow, the forum is dead. Can we shake off the dust from the old days?

In 2005, I was a fan of GTA SA. But I didn’t like everything about it: disappearing corpses, weapons flying in the air and spinning around its axis (pickup weapons dropped from enemies), in general, I didn’t like a lot of things. I loved the concept of GTA, but I wanted more realism (something like a life simulator). When I bought Xenus, I just went nuts. It seemed to be the most realistic and huge game in the world! There you can eat and get drunk (long before GTA 4), arrange shootouts, drive cars (which had a fuel limit). And still holes from bullets remained! And the bodies didn't disappear. In GTA SA (and its clones) this was not the case. It was possible just like in Half-Life 2 to take items and drag them from place to place (I really like these not mandatory, but cool features). It was the most developed analogue of GTA,
Skirmishes (in GTA they were generally miserable, but here is such a decent shooter for that time, with powerful flashes of shots, good sound, with bullet holes, physically correct rolling shells and other joys),
Health system (in GTA - one bar of life , here is a system of zonal damage, where you can injure your leg, arm, etc. + you need to sleep),
Characters (in GTA all people are faceless extras, and in Xenus you can exchange at least a couple of words with everyone),
Animals (in GTA they didn’t exist at all),
Interaction with the car at this point is equal - something can be done in GTA, something in Xenus. In the first one, you can paint cars in different colors and tune them, and in Xenus you can put things in the trunk, fill up the tank at a gas station or with a canister, replace punctured wheels)

Yes, in general, almost every element of the game was more realistic! The only thing that did not suit was the physics of cars. But I turned a blind eye to this (after all, there was nothing better, and all the pluses blocked this minus).

Since then (2005) many games have been released that more or less inherit the ideas of Xenus. I remember I was really looking forward to the second part, but then suddenly Far Cry 2 came out and I got stuck in it ... And when I realized that Xenus 2 had already been released a long time ago (almost simultaneously with Far Cry 2), I played, spat, and deleted the second Xenus . "Far Land 2" spoiled me, everything is so beautiful, cinematic, the first-person view is coolly done, and in Xenus 2 everything is old-fashioned, like in the first part ... It would be better if the developers did not saw the second part, but a large-scale addon for the first . And it would take less time to develop, and the view from the cab of the transport would not be cut out. This moment alone completely destroyed all interest in the game! Why they removed it is unclear. I spent the entire first part with a view from the steering wheel, and not from the 3rd person (for the 3rd person there was GTA)
And then for a long time there was no favorite game. And now GTA 5 has been released, where they added a first-person view and now it's almost Xenus))) For me, Xenus was "GTA from the 1st person", and GTA itself had such a feature)) Cool)))

If anyone is interested, read my review of Xenus here- http://forums.playground.ru/xenus/opros_vasha_otsenka_igri-73871/#comment-12901989 #comment-12857316

In general, let's write any thoughts, one way or another related to Xenus, let's bring a piece of life to the dead forum!
17 Comments
Sort by:
M
Malyshev Dmitry 14.01.22

COOL TOY!

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

And I just recently passed it)
The potential of the game is huge, it's a pity that the developers weren't able to realize it even by half.
By the way, there is a full-fledged SDK for the game, which allows you to create not only missions but also entire maps. It is not clear why no one has made mods with new locations. A long time ago, the game had a small fan community.

V
Vladimir835 14.01.22

Grandshot
Well, how are your impressions? Are you a "newbie" in the world of Xenus (since so many years after the release of the game, its plot went through) or just replayed the game?
I can tell for myself why I didn’t start modding the game - because I was waiting and hoping for the second part, I thought it would beat everyone ... And after the release of Xenus 2 (which I didn’t like) I found out about the SDK, but it was too late, already there were a lot of other good games and Xenus is just outdated.

The potential of the game is huge, it's a pity that the developers could not realize it even by half.
No, why, in my opinion, the developers implemented almost everything that was possible (for 2005). I only had complaints about the physics of transport, that's all. Bugs didn’t meet much (a couple of stuck barrels in the wall - who doesn’t happen to).

shirik94
Yes, the second part was disappointing. What did you not like about it?
I've played Xenus at least a little every day for several years. It's like a second life))) I traveled around the world of the game, looking for Easter eggs, secrets... So many memories! I tried to find a submarine (it seems like Don Pedro should have it), but I didn’t find anything. But somewhere in the jungle lay a broken plane with a skeleton of a pilot))) And somehow got out of the edge of the map (climbed the hills until he saw the endless abyss of eternity and jumped there). Who else knows any Easter eggs?

C
Chem-x 14.01.22

Every year I go through Xenus, because as spring comes and everything turns green, I associate everything with the game. The music, jokes and atmosphere of Xenusa are unique. Nostalgia

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

Vladimir835
Well, how are your impressions? Are you a "newbie" in the world of Xenus (since so many years after the release of the game, its plot went through) or just replayed the game?
No, I've known xenus for a long time. But it's only recently that the story has been fully completed. And before I scored on him because of the crookedness, and only completed the quests of the factions. And also recently looked at the SDK of the game. It turns out that the game has a lot of content that the developers have not added =)

V
Vladimir835 14.01.22

Grandshot
Interesting news about the content. Can you elaborate? Is it a submarine?
The plot, it seems to me, is not the main thing in such games. The main thing is freedom of action, which is interesting to use. Even just walking around the world of the game was interesting. I was just walking through the jungle and looking for adventure :-)

Chem-x
yes, nostalgia is a strong feeling))

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

Vladimir835
Really a submarine?!
She is the one, as well as a bathyscaphe, a mini-tank, a motorcycle along with a first-person view model, an excavator and a loader. Models that simulate views from the cabins of vehicles have a lot of small animated objects - gauge arrows, wiper operation, gear shifting, aircraft have all sorts of stabilizers and tumblrs. And all this is not visible in the game. Carved weapons - bat, machete, punches from the first person. All actor models, including the player, have unused melee attack animations.
There is even a model of hands with a card. Apparently they wanted to do it like in Far Cry 2, when the card is in the hands of the hero.
pix.playground.rupix.playground.rupix.playground.rupix.playground.rupix.playground.ru

Designed as a blog
Spoilerhttp://www.playground.ru/blogs/xenus/xenus_virezanniy_kontent-145216/

V
Vladimir835 14.01.22

Grandshot
is simply amazing. Thank you dude) Where did you dig all this up?
All the same, I knew, I knew that there was a submarine in Xenus :-) It's a pity that the developers could not implement all their ideas. For me, Xenus was an ideal for a long time, and if all this was implemented, then I would probably fight in convulsions of delight))))

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

Vladimir835
is simply amazing. Thank you dude) Where did you dig all this up?
Looked in the SDK. All this, most likely, was found by fans a long time ago, but the xenus sites are no longer alive, and therefore the information has been lost.
By the way, the game also has an early version of the cutscene where Saul Myers is in his house, and Pierre calls him to report his daughter missing. It is interesting that a different model of the protagonist is used there. Maybe later I will record and publish a video with this video =)

V
Vladimir835 14.01.22

Grandshot
come on, it will be interesting to see.
Interestingly, but it is impossible to make something work (from the found cut features)? What do you think?

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

Alas, the forum never came to life. Sadly.

Replying to the last message:

Vladimir835
There is nothing to restore from the cut features. All features are hardcoded in the engine, and there is no way to change them or add new ones using the SDK (specifically, the _QRE program). It is only possible to prescribe, say, bathyscaphe models as boats. Of course, they will not dive under water. Or implement a motorcycle as a car. It is clear that nothing good will come of this.

In principle, all models can be replaced in the game, including cars, characters and weapons. You can make your own cutscenes in two ways: Export from 3ds Max, or directly in the level editor (Like in venom: codename outbreak. Such cutscenes are not used in Xenus). But neither one nor the other cutscenes can be played in the game according to the plot, because these features are again hardwired into the engine, and a specific hard coder is needed to access them.

R
RicoChico 14.01.22

And what about the developers now? Bankrupt?

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

RicoChico
No, it seems. They reduced the staff and now they make all sorts of models for games from other companies.

A
Artilleryforward 14.01.22

Grandshot
Now, if the developers completed the Forerunner, I think they would have everything much better now. Sadly, despite the downsides of their games, they were fun to play.

R
RicoChico 14.01.22

It sucks. Such games were ambitious.

G
Grandshot 14.01.22

RicoChico
Perhaps someday they will return to big gamedev. Let's hope and wait =)

w
w 800 14.01.22

I played the game back in 2008. Most of all I didn’t like the NPCs, they don’t appear from where and disappear into nowhere. You stand on the road, turn around 180 degrees and see a moving car that did not pass by. In the older Postal 2, the computer calculated each NPC.
The main plus of the game is music, there are quite a few games with good music. There is also an interesting world in xenus, to take an old woman across the road, give two pesos to a kid, treat a passerby with a cigar.
For its time, the game was excellent, and became a cult one. Alas, the creators began to feel dizzy from success and, with joy, began to make two games at the same time, Xenus 2 and Forerunner. The second part came out again unfinished with outdated graphics and miserable NPCs. In general, the guys quickly ran out of steam,
The SDK turned out to be useless, quite complicated and outdated: NPCs can only stand in one place, and making large maps by copying the same sections a hundred times after the release of cryengine became dumb. No bug fixes were done, so deepshadows ceased to exist.