3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Alter Fritz 07.02.22 11:11 pm

O. Henry and his works

This topic was created in order to find out your opinion about this writer and impressions of his works.
6 Comments
Sort by:
s
scaryfad 07.02.22

Excellent satirical writer. I really like his stories.

L
Lunx 07.02.22

Almost a desk book - a collection of stories by O'Henry. And then I almost never met such kind and sparkling humor. "The Leader of the Redskins" is one of my favorite stories, just great.
But it seems to me that best of all he turned out works that are still not of a humorous nature.
I read "The Last Leaf" - simply, beautifully, I would not say that it is touching, but it touches. Such a deep and touching story about life, in which there is room for friendship, love, sacrifice!

O. Henry is a very controversial writer and he writes in different ways. Some of his stories are interesting precisely with feelings, others with an unexpected ending. There are two "kinds" of great writers. Some will write one work in their entire life, which will pass through decades. Others will be able to write several, small, completely different, but interesting in their own way. These include O. Henry. For me, only S. Maugham is on the same level with him.

A
Alter Fritz 07.02.22

Lunx and ScaryFad
Yes, his stories are something! I really liked While the Car Waits, The Pharaoh and the Carol, The Last Leaf, and of course The Noble Rogue, about the adventures of Jeff Peters, and of course Kings and Cabbage. Surprise endings, humor, and the plot - not every writer can compare with this - and this despite the kind of life O. Henry lived, what difficulties he faced - and at the same time retained his sense of humor and his talent.

P
Pecos_Bill 07.02.22

"Leader of the Redskins" - rules! Yes, and other novels by OyuHenry also liked, especially "Where Black Bill Hidden" and "On Demand"

O
Okruta 07.02.22

O'Henry skillfully alternated humor and sadness in his works. Favorite story, probably "The Pharaoh and the Choral" - this is just an example where humor and sadness are nearby, it seems like a funny story, but it becomes sad for a person who has broken off so much at the last moment.
I don't remember the title of a couple of stories: one about a sheriff who pretended to be an arrested person in order to raise a criminal whom he accompanied in the eyes of his old acquaintance; another about a young guy and a horned frog - this is already an example of a story that touches the soul with sadness.
The title should be corrected. He's O'Henry, that's a pseudonym, and the "O" in him isn't an initial at all.

E
Elena7355 07.02.22

I really like his story "Gifts of the Magi"