3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
V
Vsevas 10.05.22 11:54 pm

I'm going to make a computer game

Hello! I am a beginner software developer (backend Java developer). At the university, we were given the task of making a computer game in any genre, of any scale. Of course, we have not learned to develop games for several years, but they ask us .... (not about that now).
1.5 months were allotted for the implementation of the project (from this time, the development itself should take no more than 4 weeks in a good way).

I want to make the game as simple as possible to meet the deadline and I am considering projects in the following genres: novel, logic game, card game.
Multiplayer will be difficult to implement, so I plan to implement only rating by the number of players' points.

I myself do not play much, but I really liked these games for Android:
Lapse: A Forgotten Future - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cornago.stefano.lapse&hl=ru&gl=US
Idle Civilization: World History - https://play.google.com/ store/apps/details?id=su.nkarulin.cardhistory&hl=en&gl=US

Do you have any ideas for games in this genre - in terms of setting, story that the game will reveal, content and interesting mechanics, features? Maybe in those games that I gave as an example, there are not enough certain mechanics, or is it possible to somehow change the balance so that a new game is released?

Submit your ideas!

PS
Most likely, I will write a game for the Android platform.
I promise everyone who will take part in the topic test access to the game and any in-game "wealth".
The game will be free and published on GitHub (everyone will have access to the source code and the ability to make changes to the game).
The game will be written either in Unity or Dart/Flutter.

PPS This post may have come out a little chaotic, but somehow ^)
16 Comments
Sort by:
r
requiemmm 10.05.22

I think the novel will take a long time. Well, it only seems that everything is simple, but you start writing lyrics and think, well, what kind of trash did I write? And your time is limited, so it would be more logical to tear something up and "repaint" it, like the Chinese. Remember the pipe bioshock hack? Dock the pipes so that the liquid flows from one end of the playing field to the other. Now imagine that your game consists only of this hack, at the end the light comes on, music plays, the animation of the drop-down candy is played, which has different pictures on the wrapper. Or, well, I don’t know, can you master tic-tac-toe on excavators, as in the famous video? It is also an option.

b
barbarian 10.05.22

I once taught java at the university, but my experience is rather not very successful for the reason you indicated. I made a simple game with spaceships and a game like a primitive Might and Magic, which I did not master. There are tutorials like Eric Matiz, there is an example of a simple game with aliens and a spaceship under the control of the player, but it is in Python.
Good luck

V
Vsevas 10.05.22

requiemmm
Tic-tac-toe on excavators - cool idea! Thank you!

V
Vsevas 10.05.22

barbarian
In the most extreme case - I'll take the space ships. Thanks!
In a good way, programming languages ​​and areas are studied for years, and not every quarter - a new language. I still have a strategy to get good grades for the diploma. I will study in the direction after the university - now there is no time at all :)

M
MunchkiN 616 10.05.22

I am not going to take part in this.
I don't know what Java does. units like c + can other zhdvizhki. 1.5 months seems too short to me.
Let's say I can draw a little. I could theoretically close up a visual with textures and shaders in such a time so that it is assembled through the GPU and the processor has an array for backgrounds, texts and characters. if I started to complicate this matter and spend a lot of time, I would start sawing the animation of hair and mouths so that it would synchronize with the text. maybe add inventory with items. and quite fat would have realized the type of game world as in the old type of 3d games from a combination of backgrounds and textures. once I thought about such a thing, I thought about such a thing, but I myself am not very interested.
but I think on modern engines it’s easier to make a game where you play as a pistol and a grenade and you can kill all sorts of geometric cubes. and a couple of levels.

Spoilers, so I have an old dream of making a 3d polygonal game in general, patched up like an outrun or AB Cop. the fundamental idea is based on training in real textures on shaders and folding them into a horizon on shaders. and processor logic is a 2d top view game with pixel reading to determine surfaces and collisions as well as imaginary height. interaction of the world through reading the pixels of the sleeping labeled render and the buffer of the imaginary frame depth. only that there were opportunities like in daggerfall, it was possible to rob cows and that it all worked on the video card. Now it seems to me that it is realistic to implement it on a pseudo-voxel mordant from a generated height map and a slice map with scaling of all this in screen space as textures. there is very complicated physics and AI. at some point, I even spat and gave up and decided to make polygons so that the GPU would generate a hefty world with a texture, which does not fit into 32-bit engines according to space technologies, but everything is long and complicated and with AI it’s difficult because it’s not the player who walks, but the world walks when the button is pressed you press and you can still jump so that the world then jumps down and this creates enormous problems for the development of ai. and all this without programming code hlsl glsl and c++ because I don't really like programming. here's a peck. and all this without programming code hlsl glsl and c++ because I don't really like programming. here's a peck. and all this without programming code hlsl glsl and c++ because I don't really like programming. here's a peck.
If someone realized such an idea, it would be extremely interesting to see the result.

V
Vsevas 10.05.22

MunchkiN 616
I almost don't understand a single term, but thanks for the comment anyway!
It would be great to implement your idea with the movement of the world relative to the player, but so far I did not plan to go so deep into game development. My current limit is to scatter the splines and track their collisions.
Somehow I came across an article on Habré with moving all objects, while the camera is still, a person wanted to make a 3d bowling, as a result, he wrote his own engine for the game - https://zen.yandex.ru/media/ habr/kak-ia-napisal-igru-za-tri-goda-5e7d972c38bc8a49ba018c24

S
Sweety_Mustard 10.05.22

I would like you to make a game, the 3D action is like this... User can play wood elves, palace guard and villain. And if the user plays as elves, then elves in the forest, wooden houses are crowded with soldiers of the palace and villains. You can rob the cows... And if the elf is in the forest, then make it so that there is a dense forest... And the engine can be set so that the trees are a picture in the distance, when you approach them, they are converted into 3-dimensional trees. You can buy, etc. features like in Daggerfall. And the enemies are 3D too, and the corpse is also 3D. You can jump, etc. If you play for the protection of the palace, then you must obey the commander, and protect the palace from the evil (I did not think of a name) and spies, elf partisans, and go on raids on one of these (elves, evil ...). Well, if for evil ... then it means spies or partisans of elves sometimes attack, the user himself, the commander can do whatever he wants, order his troops to attack the palace with him and go on the attack. In total there are 4 zones in the game. Those. map and there are 4 zones on it, 1 is the zone of people (neutral), 2 is the zone of the emperor (where the palace is), 3 is the zone of elves, 4 is the zone of evil... (in the mountains, there is an old fort...)

Also, so that in the game they can not only kill but also chop off the hand, and if the user is not cured, then he will die, just gouge out the eye, but the user may not die, but simply not see the floor of the screen, or get or buy a prosthesis, if the leg is also either dead or you will crawl or ride in a wheelchair, or the best thing is ... put a prosthesis. You can save ...

PS I want this game for two years.

Bayan, of course, but cows are a necessary condition for creating a good game.

M
MunchkiN 616 10.05.22

Vsevas
classic visual novel (not from ugl play links, because they don't open for me) seems pretty simple to me in terms of programming. because there are no moving parts. Roughly speaking, there should be an array with data for the screen and conditions that switch these "sets of screens". gameplay logic like an event tree with branches.
just a visual in unity and unreal engine 4-5 is possible in some other gobote engines, as I understand it, you can collect it in the material editor and display this case on the screen.
with a card game it is similar, but you need to come up with rules, which seems difficult to me if you do not take cards or chess or already other games and program the rules and structure for them, it seems difficult to me.
logic game - never played them but large games usually have similar tasks. however, logic games suggest that it will be something smart like a rubik's cube. to implement the game will be quite brazenly possible.
here the question is envy from the specific complexity and purpose of the training task.

n
night channel 14.05.22

The novella is the most infernal and difficult genre for a novice developer, if you do something serious, and not the nonsense that is often poured into Steam.
I would advise you to try to make some kind of clicker with cute animals and a set of mechanics on top, for example, mini games.
Lapse: A Forgotten Future is similar in appearance to Reigns, but it's not a card game per se, but a strategy game. It would be possible to add inventory loot to it, which could eventually be applied to the boss, but it seems to me that it will take a lot of time.

V
Vaipen 14.05.22

The fastest thing you can bungle on your knee is some kind of puzzle. Type 3 in a row, bubbles, puzzles, towers with knights, etc. Don't even bother with novels. It is unrealistic to do it in such a short time. It only seems that it is simple, but in fact you get tired of prescribing various branches of dialogues. And it’s not as easy to come up with a sane story as it seems. And then you also need to draw art, and this will also take a lot of time.

f
five coins 14.05.22

Clone HoMM3, Tamagotchi from the 90s, AirXonix.

V
VETER15 14.05.22

You want to eat and you don't.

V
Vsevas 14.05.22

NightChannel
Thank you for your feedback! Lapse is externally a clone of Reigns. I won't make a novel :) I
could take on Lapse - suggest interesting mechanics for this game, any of your Wishlist - if I take this game for a project - I'll try to implement them!

y
yariko okami 14.05.22

Vsevas wrote:
I want to make the game as simple as possible to meet the deadline and consider projects in the following genres: novella, logic game, card game.
In the shortest possible time, the novella is unlikely to go, since there you need to work out the plot, characters, locations, and this is not fast. Although this is my opinion, it is possible for someone to write a story and draw sprites and backgrounds - a few days' time.
Logic and card games, I think, are better suited in this regard, since there is a minimum plot, the development will mainly take up the gameplay and the code itself, textures in such games are usually not many and they are repetitive.
Here is my game (available on the root tracker), made entirely on Seasharp, maybe it will lead to some
thought

V
Vsevas 01.07.22

Hi all! At the university, they were loaded with all sorts of unplanned labs - I could not start the game in any way. For the last 2 weeks I have been learning the Dart language and its Flutter framework. I am writing a text quest (with my chip). I chose this project because I need to start with something simpler + I like to develop classic mobile applications more. Such a compromise.
Soon I will make an alpha version and share the game with you!

A
A.Soldier of Light 01.07.22

Vsevas
Engine, programming... that's understandable. What about the music and sound effects in the game? How about graphics? 3D models or sprites... who will draw it for your game? And this is also necessary.
By the way, in Java, the same greatest Minecraft in the world was made. Just an example.