3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
a
atsa.maz 11.05.22 09:50 pm

What is a swap file? why is it needed?

What it is? Here are the specifications of my computer. Intel core 2 duo e8400 3.0 ghz, msi nvidia geeforce gts 250 1024 mb 256 bit directx10, 4096 mb ram ddr2, asus p5q-e motherboard, windows 7 x64. Do I need to add another 2 gigabytes of RAM?
10 Comments
Sort by:
J
Johnny Fest 11.05.22

The "paging file" is virtual memory, hard disk space reserved by the system when there is a shortage of physical memory.
You need to add memory. And it is better to add not two, but four.

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 11.05.22

Atsa.maz
Don't listen to them. With this config, you have enough memory, but you can turn on the giga swap file for 2.

M
MKUltra 11.05.22

VITYA_KOLYADENKO
Enough for what? For example, Dying Light eats all 8GB of RAM (6.5 game, the rest is the system), 3GB of video memory and loads a 9GB swap file. Here, even 8GB is already not enough, not to mention 4.
About the same with Watch Dogs and it will be even worse further.

Although yes, with such a system it makes no sense to add more than 4GB of memory.

V

simmerr
And these games will go on the topic author's config?

-
-SERGEY- 11.05.22

In simple words - the swap file is the addition of RAM with a place from the hard disk, it saves when the main one is filled, but the speed is much less. Yes, 4 is not enough, add 4 more.

M
MKUltra 11.05.22

VITYA_KOLYADENKO
Well, at the minimum settings in 1280x720 or 1366x768 it's quite possible. I myself have a gts450 lying around and a monitor at 1366x768, so Watch dogs at the minimum somehow pull quite well. True percent Phenom x6

V

simmerr Hairdryer
x6 with a turbo on a certain number of cores up to 3 GHz - I think it will be better. Although I understand that the minimum wage for the game is less than the processor for the topstarter. Even the Athlon II X4 750K, overclocked to 3400 MHz, pulls min fps 29 and average 39 (in the Overs test).

s
smartivan 11.05.22

In general, there is no longer any sense from the swap file, since the performance is very good. slow. This paging file only ruins the hard disk due to constant disk access. If you want the hard drive to last longer, I recommend cutting it down, especially if you have 4 gigabytes of RAM and higher. Even if the specified system requirements are 6 gigabytes and you only have 4 gigabytes, the paging file will not help, because the read speed of RAM is ten times higher than on a hard drive

G
GONE TO DTF 11.05.22

smartivan90
hard drive wears out regardless of writes or overwrites, do not confuse

the King of the World with ssd will
not go on this dog card. there 11 directs are needed. daing light, if it goes, then at 10 fps at a minimum, because it is voracious, and the card is 100 years old.

s
smartivan 11.05.22

lookaway
Well then it's worth disabling the swap file to reduce the load on the hard drive