3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
A
Anmawe 12.05.22 12:10 am

How to protect yourself from viruses in windows as much as possible?

And at the same time, minimally limit yourself in installing / running programs and visiting sites.
16 Comments
Sort by:
D
Dvn74 12.05.22

Anmawe
MSE + malwarebites antimalware you can even leave the standard firewall.

R
RussianQuaker 12.05.22

As for getting viruses through visiting sites: in the browser settings, disable java scripts, java, cookies, plug-ins by default - 1) Viruses are mainly taken through them, especially through java scripts; 2) The main content on most sites is viewed without them; 3) You can make a white list of those sites that you constantly visit, i.e. include everything there.

V
VITYA_KOLYADENKO 12.05.22

especially through java scripts
Firstly, scripts are needed almost everywhere working. Secondly, Java scripts, of course, are located in the C:WindowsTempTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5 folder (c:UsersAdminAppData LocalMicrosoftWindowsTemporary Internet Files) or older analogues - %USERPROFILE%Local SettingsTemporary Internet Files, but this is far from the only thing that is loaded through this folder with viruses.

L
Life is shit 12.05.22

Install Windows XP 32bit, install Nod32 - version 6.

t
theme11471 12.05.22

Switch to Linux or be treated for paranoia, there is no third way. If you are a more or less advanced user, make a backup image of Windows, and in any critical situation you can always recover from it.

VITYA_KOLYADENKO

Firstly, scripts are needed almost everywhere

Java is now used almost everywhere. In those rare moments when you still need it every few months, you can manually turn it on.

Life is shit

Install Windows XP 32bit, install Nod32 - version 6.

And enjoy the killed Autorun, blocked ports when opening them through a router, and a whole bunch of problems arising from NOD's paranoia.

V

theme11471
Maybe everything is completely different, but VKontakte definitely uses Java.

-
-SlashuuR- 12.05.22

put Nod32 - version 6.
Nod32 is UG.

r
redfox2013 12.05.22

study of the registry, and living, protection 95%

V

redfox2013
I didn't notice that the registry was changed by viruses (the antivirus did not find this), but I found and deleted one field similar to that described in the action of the virus.

V

Do you think Dr.Web CureIt can find everything or suggest something better that includes fresh databases?

But he does not find anything, although the rootkit hangs in the system.

V

The worst idea:
"there is a free kaspersky 11 antivirus with a hacked key, but I don't use it, it's turned off, it's not added to startup. Sometimes I only run a scan of important areas once a month."

If the antivirus does not work (all sorts of proactivities too?), then it does not update the databases either? And even once a week it will not be enough to scan if the proactive does not work all the time. The minimal idea is to update the databases and scan processes every day (does Kaspersky have such a function after updating the databases?). And there can be many important areas, for example - for XP this is a full scan of the D&S, Windows / system32 folders and the version of the Temp folder used (Windows / Temp or C: / Temp). Also, as a tip to scan such folders:
"If there is a Recycler folder, the virus is also located in the System Volume Information folder of the same disk. For those who are convinced that this is part of the operating system, I note that folders with these names appear on non-system disks (such as USB drives), too, and the System folder Volume Information simply cannot be deleted, as this name is used by the operating system."

Question for knowledgeable people. There is a statement:
"He puts his files in the C: System Volume Information folder. Since you do not have access rights to it, you cannot see its size. It will show 0 bytes in the explorer properties. Therefore, when you select all files, it will not taken into account."

I only have it on disk D and there were only once viruses found - some deleted files in it were resurrected. Does System Restore work at all for other logical drives besides the system drive, or is everything just stored on the system drive?

V

In addition to Kaspersky Internet Security, Dr.Web Security Space Pro and BitDefender Internet Security are also options. Everything else is clearly not able to detect sufficiently cunning viruses.

D
Denis Nikonov 12.05.22

Download programs from specific trackers and sites. This is the main rule. The presence or absence of an antivirus does not affect protection, I myself was convinced of this. For a long time the virus does not bother, the antivirus is not installed.

s
safot 12.05.22

Hit Windows.

V

Of course, on Win7, like viruses / trojans, they did not really show themselves in any way. There was a class of some ancient ones who changed the start page. Well, or shortcuts to browsers (and gave them "Read Only").
Well, anything can come from trackers. They posted links where real viruses came from Rutreker.
Z.Y. Yes, I don't know how you will be "not disturbed" by any file virus. It seems to do nothing, just infect executable files.

V

Yes, tips:
1. Do not download programs from nowhere. Here I tried to download KillSwitch, got some kind of PUP.
2. It makes sense to either strongly trust your antivirus, or use different sets of utilities:
a) MBAM - one of the pluses is that you can update the databases;
b) Eset Online scanner - also a very good detector, you can update it, but it does not work without the Internet;
c) KVRT and CureIt! - minus that they can quickly become outdated (that is, after 2 hours it is considered old), plus - it's not a fact that your antivirus knows the threat that the utility knew 20 days ago.
3. Of the paranoid things, there is Comodo - its HIPS can catch 95% of threats (that is, you will hardly see HIPS alerts from your antivirus), minus - a bunch of requests to launch regular applications.

Well, from the realm of fantasy - do not sit under the administrator on the Internet.