3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
M
Matavzh 09.10.22 11:15 pm

Program for reducing the resolution of DDS textures. (STALKER: Call of Pripyat)

I reduce some textures of plants / trees through Photoshop, but after that they seem to sparkle in the game, stand out, how can I cure it, can you optimize it?
2 Comments
Sort by:
L
Loki DS 09.10.22

We took a screenshot, it's interesting to see it ...

E
Exterra Project 09.10.22

You can reduce the size of textures in anything that works with dds. For example, Paint.NET.
You cannot reduce the size of the texture from which the icons are taken for display, for example, on the screen - ui_icon_equipment.dds. And in general, the whole ui. And something else there. And in general...

Never repeat the mistakes of unfortunate modders.
1. Working with textures in Photoshop.
Photoshop is not designed to work with game textures, all plugins and native support for .dds are just a tribute to the requirements. To create a dds texture, you can use Photoshop, but this texture will only be a "build", which must also be optimized for a specific display in the game. But no, most modders, as they collected the texture in Photoshop, so they shove it into the game "well, well, the video memory is loaded by 2 gigs, well, cho, narm, but it's beautiful!".
In fact, it's neither beautiful nor beautiful, on the contrary - an unnatural selection of such textures against the background of the original and / or optimized ones.

2. Working with textures using the nvDXT converter, DDS Converter or Paint.NET.
The three programs above are almost never used by modders. The first one is used as command scripts to batch hundreds of textures at once, the second one is the same, only with the GUI and the choice of settings, and the third one is for final optimization (usually paint-dot-no shows the texture without taking into account any color profiles and conversion RGB / CMYK and so on, so what we see there, we see in the game). Those. the textures created in Photoshop are run through a batch conversion, and then each one is opened in a paint dot net, brought to mind and the final version is saved, in the desired mode (dxt1a, dxt1c, dxt3, dxt5, but many "modders" do not even have a clue what it is and how these formats differ), with the generation of mipmaps (or not), as well as setting the alpha channel.

A lot more can be written about what "mods" are going to the same poor stalker. When you see a mod in which a couple of scripts have been changed, but the Textures folder weighs 3 gigabytes, because "we zabatsala a hollow retexture of everything!", And based on the fact that a shabby native Kalash in the hands is much more realistic than "awesome texture empe-five so black and tinted." Everything, in short, I am silent.