3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
Sleeping lemur 21.05.23 11:00 pm

Problem with the mobile video card.

People, ran into this problem a long time ago, but didn't know about it for a while and then tried to fix it in every way. So what's the problem?

The problem is that the video card isn't working correctly.

I noticed this problem after installing RDR 2 on Windows 10. IT HAD 45 FPS. That would be ok, but on Windiws 11 it was 57-60 FPS, in some places 70. And on Windows 10 60 FPS was only in the winter location, and in the subsequent 45 and below, on any setting. The problem is not only in RDR 2, but also in cyberpunk, Wotch Dogs 2 (45 FPS) and Legion (36-38 FPS), all games from Sony, Assasins creed Origins-Odyssey (downloaded for the test), and in the last two Farkray. Tried the latest Saints Row, in the first location (the first mission) stable 80 FPS and then 45-50. In the game and in the program Nvidia have no restrictions and synchronization. Power consumption for video is the maximum. In the power settings (control panel) is the balance, but at high performance does not change anything.

And now for the abnormal graphics card performance.

The load is low 30 (sometimes 20-25)-60 percent (I didn't notice any increase at 60). Frequency is 1560 and up.

The FurMark test at low load on the graphics card. The frequency here was 1560 and higher. Power consumption was 50-80W, FPS low. Be warned, I just managed to catch this moment, not made it myself.

The second screenshot shows you that the situation is the opposite. High load, low frequency, 113-115W power consumption of video card, FPS high.

In the second screenshot you see the opposite situation.

With Windows 11 there was no problem, but there was a problem with the windup) And I don't think reinstalling it would make much difference.

But there is something to add. Under temporary load (usually 5 minutes, when going into a game), the load and frequencies were fine. The same Atomik gave 110 FPS and higher without DLSS, and the PE remaster 120 FPS (without DLSS). On the side only bypasses Resick 4 remake and cyberpunk. In older games there are no such problems (although from the old I played only Half-Life - Episode 2 and Portal) and it is natural. Only Haf Lyfe Alyx (keyboard+mouse mod) pleased me 70-80 FPS, but with low load.

Characteristics.

Dell Alyenware M15 R5 laptop

RTX 3070 Mobile (115W+10W)

Ryzen 9 5900HX (Don't say it's a CPU problem)

16gb 3200mg

Somebody will say that it's a problem with the processor because of its temperature (100 degrees and I know that the laptop will not live long), but in reviews (there are very few) everything is fine. I can't return it under warranty, it's been a year.

P.S MSI afterburner didn't help.

6 Comments
Sort by:
L
Lоken 21.05.23

On mobile 3070 notebook manufacturers, depending on models, set the trotting temperature to 84-93 on the gpu, most often it's set to 87. Sounds like your graphics card is just hitting the temperature ceiling and trotting. From the graphs it looks like that.
I suspect your notebook already needs the whole thermo interface replaced by a normal service.

S
Sleeping lemur 22.05.23

I wish it were a trotlining issue. But in Call of Dute Modern warfare remaster the temperature doesn't get to 70 degrees, and power consumption and load drops. If the load reaches 90-99% (there were such moments in some games), the FPS will be ~45 (for example in THE Forest or Nier Autamata). And if I'm not confused with anything, then the maximum temperature of trotting is 100° (if I'm not confused with anything)

The funny thing is that in games where the limit is 30 (Yuzu emulator) or 60 FPS, there will always be 30 or 60 FPS. Same MGR, MGS V, Nier autamata and Sekiro (I know that the games are not the first fresh, also they don't load the visuals in any way).

S
SonyK_2 22.05.23

...if I'm not confused with anything, the maximum trotting temperature is 100°...

This is the temperature of the CPU's trottling. As for AMD now I don't know, and I never tried it with my Athlon (in profile), but on 4790k I "experimented" with overclocking - as soon as the temperature reached 100 "С, the frequencies started to "drop out", the old tower could not cope with cooling. On video cards it's better to see what's listed here:

Spoiler alert

J
JustA_NiceGuy 22.05.23

Huh, I played around with my 4790k the same way, ended up leaving it on auto from 4.2 to 4.3 in games. The cooling is very good, but the bios does not accept my settings as it should. And when it worked temporarily, it turned out to be trotting just hard at 4,4-4,5, though it shouldn`t have! And I blamed it on the video card and drivers... Until I started to monitor the temperature everywhere.

S
Sleeping lemur 22.05.23

I'll double-check later, but 100 degrees is normal for my CPU. It only shuts down at 105 degrees (if I change max CPU frequency to over 4000 mgz). That said, the graphics card doesn't get to 80 degrees (often keeps the temperature at 60+, it doesn't go up to 70 that often).

I suspect the power supply. The laptop was ordered from America. It's standard 110-127W. Can my suspicions be correct? I will check the power range.

L
Lоken 23.05.23

But now I have a suspicion about the power supply. The laptop was ordered from America. And there the standard is 110-127W. Can my suspicions be correct? I will check the power range.

The power supply of your laptop has 110-240v AC specs and 50-60Hz input frequency, in short it is fully compatible with all existing voltage versions and standards, including the European one.
But conversely, electronics that require 220-240v input voltage from an American socket will not necessarily work properly.