3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
Sergik_80 16.02.20 04:12 pm

The technology of large pages in the settings (Middle-earth: Shadow of War)

The technology of large pages in the settings - can't enable writes requires administrator privileges
What it does do and how to enable it?
17 Comments
Sort by:
_
_Mahoney_ 16.02.20

From the administrator start the label, and generally gives no significant performance increase, it does not make sense since the game is so well optimized!

S
StefGamer 16.02.20

Sergik_80
Yes, also think that does not really even need the technology to optimize in the game.

R
RGC 16.02.20

During a large-scale batches of type capture the fortresses of the start of drawdown, there is no optimization will not help. This is of course if you have not gtx1080. So even a small increase is a good idea

I
Ioannn 16.02.20

RGC
I have an old 780 and was sooo big batch, any drawdown. Here at fps will not say, because not watched. No brakes and it is fine.
And Yes, almost everything on ultra put, except for diffused lighting (something like this) and textures like, for which to ultra to exhibit, you must download these.

R
RGC 16.02.20

Ioannn
I have a 980, lighting, shadows and vegetation on high. During the capture of the fortresses of FPS sags to 50 and below. Of course it is not critical, but still it is drawdown

I
Ioannn 16.02.20

RGC
I have one hundred pounds much less (look and I will unsubscribe today), but no lag and okay.

J
JamesRocket 16.02.20

All x86-compatible processors, and all modern 32 - bit and 64-bit OS use paging organization virtual and physical memory. For each application are mapped to the virtual page address and physical address through the page table. To speed up the matching process, modern processors use the translation lookaside buffer (translation lookaside buffer, TLB), which caches the mapping between physical and virtual addresses that have been accessed most recently.
Typically, the memory allocated to the application, is not continuous, and memory pages are often fragmented. But due to the fact that the table of memory pages hides physical addresses from apps, the apps "think" that the given memory area is continuous. Similar applications, not working with the file system directly, I have no idea about fragmentation of individual files.
When a running application accesses the memory, the processor uses the page table to convert virtual addresses used by the application, into a physical address. As mentioned above, to speed up this process uses a caching system – the translation lookaside buffer. If the requested address is in the TLB, the processor can process the query much faster because of no need to search for a match across the table pages. Accordingly, if the requested address in the cache TLB is missing something, there is a standard operation matching the virtual and physical addresses in the page table, and only then the request can be processed.
Because of the huge number of pages, the efficiency of the TLB cache is of great importance. In the standard 32-bit server running any OS, no matter Windows, Linux or any other Unix, with 4GB RAM, the page table will contain millions of records each 4-Kbyte page. Now imagine if we have, for example, a 64-bit OS and, say, 32 GB of memory? It turns out as many as 8 million 4-KB pages.
Why the use of this technology [large pages] easier? For example, our application tries to read a 1 MB (1024 KB) of contiguous data, access to which is carried a relatively long time (i.e. in the TLB cache, this query is not preserved). If the memory page size of 4 KB, then it means that you have to access 256 pages. It turns out that we have to produce 256 lookups in the page table, which can be millions of records. It takes a lot of time.
Now imagine that the page size is 2 MB (2048 KB). In this case, the search in the page table have to be performed once if a block of data in 1 MB that we need, is entirely in one page, or double otherwise. And if TLB is used the process is still much faster.
For small pages, the TLB contains 32 entries for the L1 cache, and 512 entries for L2 cache. Since each entry maps a 4-Kbyte page, it turns out that the whole TLB only covers about 2 MB of virtual memory.
For large pages, the TLB buffer contains 8 entries. Since each entry here addresses 2 MB of memory, the TLB address 16 Mbytes of virtual memory. This mechanism becomes much more effective when used applications demanding memory capacity. Imagine that your application tries to read a, say, 2 GB of data. What is faster — reading cached thousands of 2m pages or "shoveling" half of small 4-Kbyte pages?

S
Shadowclonejutsu 16.02.20

JamesRocket
the whole lecture) informative!

M
Macros Easy 16.02.20

Shadowclonejutsu
So with Habra rolled, there do not want to read.

S
Shadowclonejutsu 16.02.20

Macros Easy
there design is disgusting, I can't read the article)

z
zEmberg 16.02.20

well, result what, it is better to enable this option or not ? in Russian ))

Z
ZeFeRKo 16.02.20

zEmberg
like big better

J
JamesRocket 16.02.20

Shadowclonejutsu
Not all just a piece for those who are interested.

J
JamesRocket 16.02.20

zEmberg
If frieze and the little memory that I have, if memory 8 and more no. But if the virtual machine to do it will be by the way, in General for games is not an option. This kind of RAM optimizer work with the files recorded and stored in the cluster in real time. If you stream, monitor, record, and browser and opened a bunch of tabs then those you the option to quickly switch between tasks without freezes and delays. Understand or not?

z
zEmberg 16.02.20

JamesRocket
Well, now all is clear thank you

S
Saints Russia 16.02.20

I don't understand, if I have 32GB operatives I need to enable this option or not?

W
WorLing 16.02.20

Saints Russia
if only AND WHY NOT?. and so, 32 gig... But the Originals are still to be misiti )