3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
E
Ely Maze 15.10.20 07:53 pm

Maximum compression of files in the 7-zip archive

what parameters are suitable for maximum compression of files

here's an example

an archive of this size

but it only shrinks to this size

Here are the options in 7-zip

what do you need to change in the settings for maximum compression?
14 Comments
Sort by:
d
darkpromo 15.10.20

First, it was worth writing files of what format are archived, as different formats lend themselves to varying degrees of compression

E
Ely Maze 15.10.20

darkpromo
ARC files

v
vitalik76 15.10.20

So you put the archive in the archive and want some mega-compressions? It's a perfectly normal result. It's a good one.

E
Ely Maze 15.10.20

vitalik76
Well, the joke is that these same files are packed in different ways a year ago happened that up to 90 mb

That's why I want to find a good setting for the archivist

S
Sanchez Ramirez 15.10.20

To do this, we need to study information theory, principles and methods of data compression. Without it, the above parameters are just a set of letters.

Well, as above already said that to put the archive in the archive and expect from it some ach results - so-so idea.

E
EShuksh 15.10.20

The FreeArc archivist works with arc archives (the latest version of 0.67 alpha, has not been updated for a long time, unfortunately; since 2017, FreeArc Next has been developing). It allows you to view the contents of arc archives, as well as create similar archives, including using special experimental algorithms for better compression (precomp, special algorithms for compressing graphic formats such as .jpg, etc.). However, the .arc extension file is not necessarily an archive file, some games also have files with this extension (Lost Planet 1-2, Resident Evil 5-6), but without special utilities, these files cannot be unpacked.
In order to squeeze the .arc file more tightly, it is better to unpack its contents (unless, of course, it is an archive file; unpacking can be archived by The FreeArc; 7-zip does not seem to support the work with arc-archives (packing, unpacking, etc.), maybe the support is added in the latest versions - I have not checked), then the extracted data can be compressed by any archivist, for example, 7-zip or Free Full; Not all of them have a graphical interface, many work through a command line; The most popular archivators of 7-zip and WinRAR; there are archivists that sometimes provide higher data compression than 7-zip, but less popular, such as WinUHA, WinUDA, WinRK, KGB Archiver, StuffIt Deluxe for Windows, Pea'ip, Squeez, etc.). For example, to increase compression density, you can increase the size of the dictionary, the size of the word, the size of the block (continuous) in the 7-zip archivist; you can change the compression method (not L'MA2, but PPMd) and then do the above operations. Of course, this requires more storage for packaging. It is better to archive on a 64-bit system and using a 64-bit version of the archivist. Incidentally, recently there was a 7-zip zs - fork (additional branch) of the most popular free archivist 7-zip, from which differs primarily support of several additional high-performance compression formats: Brotli, Fast-L'MA2, Lizard, New8, L'4, New100, L'5 and zstandard.

E
Ely Maze 15.10.20

EShuksh
arc files it files from the game devil may cry 4 it is not exactly an archive

m
moblin 15.10.20

Sanchez Ramirez wrote:
Well, as above already said that to put the archive in the archive and expect from it some ach results - so-so idea.
What about the zip bombs. When 42 kilobytes contain 4.5 petabytes?
Spoiler http://www.dk/

M
MunchkiN 616 15.10.20

The size of the dictionary and the size of the word is the maximum to fix, the block size is continuous. The current will need 30GB of posture to make the maximum possible compression will be better than raar5. true without enough ass on the file handout will have to wait a day perhaps a peck-bake

E
EShuksh 15.10.20

Here lies a utility for unpacking/packing .arc files for games that use the MT Framework engine, including Devil May Cry 4; I haven't tested her health. Link:
Spoiler http://residentevilmodding.net/thread/481/arc-unpacker-repacker-v0-428
The utility is called ARC UNPACKER/REPACKER (V 0.9.428). In general, if you need to put somewhere data that does not fit, you can use the function of breaking the archive into parts (volume), however, in 7-zip it is not very convenient (size can be specified only in bytes), in WinRAR is better. You can specify the arbitrary size of the parts being broken. For convenience in 7-zip, I use the free Byte Converter v 1.0 portable program to convert bytes into kilobytes, megabytes, and gigabytes (in combinations). You can download it, for example, here:
Spoiler http://www.softholm.com/soft/byte_converter.html
SpoilerRepaker FitGirl knows how to squeeze as much as possible any files. 😉

r
root_eugene 15.10.20

moblin
You don't seem to know how archiving algorithms work. In most cases, algorithms work on the type of recursive compression. Most likely, two archives with the same hash-sum will shrink with the same degree of compression as one of these archives (-5% of the size). I can say the same to you, Ely Maze. There is a good chance that there are a lot of unique files in your archive that don't match the hash sum, and the degree of compression drops. If it is true that you have reached such a small size, most likely because of the large number of identical bits on hash - the sum.

m
moblin 15.10.20

root_eugene
No, I don't know, but my question wasn't answered.

v
vitalik76 15.10.20

moblin wrote:
What about the zip bombs. When 42 kilobytes contain 4.5 petabytes?
This is no longer from the archive area, but more to viral programs.

N
NORD7474 11.04.22

Thanks to.
Informative. Clearly. Without water.