3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
B
BMW_BMW 20.12.20 05:38 am

Need help choosing a video camera!

The question is like this! I have a FULL HD 1080p monitor.
I can buy two video cards
1) GTX-1060 3Gb with overclocking
2) GTX-1060 6Gb without overclocking

The difference in price is also $ 30 cheaper than the one with 3Gb memory!
Should I overpay $ 30 in such a situation ???

Does overclocking not compensate for the difference in memory size?
12 Comments
Sort by:
P
Protocol10 20.12.20

IKA.GR
Should I overpay $ 30 in such a situation ???

Yes, worth it. I have a gtx 780 ti 3gb and the amount of memory is far from being enough everywhere with a margin, but somewhere the memory is crammed to capacity. For example, the witcher 3 and gta 5.

Does overclocking not compensate for the difference in memory size?
No, it does not compensate. The amount of memory will be a bottleneck and overclocking will not fix the situation.

B
Belomorkanal 20.12.20

IKA.GR
Is it really that hard to find this topic? If each questioner creates a new duplicate topic every time, what will the forum become? I’m even glad that I resigned as a moderator in due time.
Okay, grumble and that's enough. Now to the point. You definitely need to buy a video card with 6 gigs, 3 gigs is not enough for modern and future games. Overclocking purely physically can in no way compensate for the lack of video memory, since when it is insufficient, freezes and FPS drawdowns begin, nullifying any overclocking.

B
BMW_BMW 20.12.20

Thank you all for your responsiveness! We will take 6 gb

X
X_ray_83 20.12.20

IKA.GR
I would take the 8 gig version, it is either 1070 or AMD RX480, Rise of the tomb raider sometimes requires 6 gig of memory, so imagine what will happen next?

The same trouble with Quantum break

S
Shock Burst 20.12.20

Better take gtx1070 8gb for a long time

B
BMW_BMW 20.12.20

It makes no sense to take a video card for a long time, as I understand it! The difference in price is palpable between 1060 and 1070, and in 2 years new video cards will be more powerful

X
X_ray_83 20.12.20

IKA.GR
Well, two years is a long time for a card's life, earlier in the early 2000s ... a year was even less.

K
Kraicher 20.12.20

X_ray_83 wrote:
I would take the 8 gig version is either 1070 or AMD RX480
Well, you compared. Heaven and earth. If only the memory is the same.

p
prokofiev.denis 20.12.20

IKA.GR
Of course it's worth overpaying. In this case, you pay not only for the increased amount of memory, you also pay for additional. computing power, because the 3-gig version has a stripped-down chip relative to the 6-gig card. Yes, and 3 gig of video memory is very little for today, games require 4 or more, and so you will observe freezes after 20-30 minutes of the game, when it will also consume all the RAM from you

X
X_ray_83 20.12.20

Kraicher
And in that and in that memory is enough, lack of memory will not help you in 1060.
480 is the most affordable option for 8 gig, what can you want? 6 gig is nonsense initially, and the rest is in the wallet who has how much and what is enough.

K
Kraicher 20.12.20

X_ray_83
When I wrote "heaven and earth" I meant 1070 and 480 as a sentence.

X
X_ray_83 20.12.20

Kraicher
The difference will soon be as small as 980 and 390.