3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
D
DenPro 20.12.20 06:04 am

Fighting dogs. Application and protection. (Rome: Total War)

What is the best way to protect yourself from dogs?
Let's say you are attacked by an army of 5-6 detachments of dogs.
From my own experience, I know that they are rather hungry and quickly eat up both light and heavy infantry. I save myself by driving the cavalry past the dog breeders and they flee from the battlefield. But if she has nowhere to run, then the problem. Maybe someone will share their experience?

34 Comments
Sort by:
g
giglov 20.12.20

I don’t understand, did you manage to scare the dogs? As far as I know, dog breeders can drift, and dogs will gnaw until their last breath ... but I don't even know how to fight them, in my opinion it's stupid to chop them, they are not that strong, normal infantrymen easily cut them ... their main effect - psychological + "sneakiness", instantly in the midst of your system
And I love to use them. Recently I discovered their effectiveness against chariots ... it worked with the British, the dogs turned them over easily.

H
Henry the Fowler 20.12.20

Dogs catch up with fleeing opponents well, either from the rear, or archers ... And they also told me how the dogs ate an elephant!

D
DenPro 20.12.20

I'll try to clarify. The riders gallop past the dog breeders -> the dog breeders lower the dogs onto the bunks -> if not all the units have launched the dogs, jump again -> send the cavalry to flee (retreat) from the battlefield. Of course, this will help when playing with a computer. I did not play with the man :( If the matter is in the defense of the city, then after collecting the dogs on themselves, the riders must hide through the back gate of the city. Suppose the enemy is at the northern gate - the horsemen jump around the city and enter the city through the southern gate. Then the dogs will be friendly It is important that the gate closes in time. Interestingly, the dogs are crowding at the gate, the gates are pouring fire on them, the sounds of dying soldiers are heard !!! but the dogs are not dying.

Another way if there are two groups of bunks. One detachment of horsemen must lure out one detachment of dogmen. it is necessary that the dog lovers chase the horsemen in the hope of letting the dogs down but did not have time to do this -> the second detachment of bunks overtakes the dog lovers from behind and chops them down. most often the computer continues to chase the first bunks and the dogs do not attack the second.

g
giglov 20.12.20

Original.
Have you tried dogs on dogs?

D
DenPro 20.12.20

dogs on dogs - I do not remember, it seems ineffective. when the dogs are lowered, their number no longer depends on the number of dog owners. and the enemy's dogs usually sit in the rear at the beginning. I usually drop the dogs to scare off the bunks on the flanks. conics flee from the battlefield or hide behind the ranks of heavy infantry. if the enemy's horse bunks are not scary to me, then the dogs are holding back the infantry at the front. then all of my who can shoot more time for art preparation.
slingers! - they throw far and effectively. while the computer chases the hounds to the slingers, they beat them pretty much, and the dogs run to the infantry less.
I try to keep the hounds, so. how after the battle the dogs will respawn and the hounds will not.
Of course, it is not clear where, after the battle, 48 hounds manage to recruit and train 144 dogs? I feel like someone wants to say - "in life this is impossible, this is a cheating unit."

T
Trast Ltd 20.12.20

Hmm, did the dogs gnaw at the heavy infantry?
You may be playing on a very hard combat difficulty.

I play on average, realistic. My dogs can inflict sensitive damage to cavalrymen, but the infantry copes with them without any problems. Therefore, if dogs were lowered on my horsemen, I retreat to the infantry and filter the cavalry detachment through my infantry. The cavalry retreats to the rear, and the dogs are held up by the infantry and are successfully chopped down.

But these are urgent measures.

Usually, for prevention, I shoot dogs at the beginning of the battle with archers. They are unarmored, so they shoot great!
:))))

D
DenPro 20.12.20

I am also at normal difficulty. I play for Yuliev. Faced the armies of the Romans, in which there are 4-5 units of dogs. The loss for me at least 80 principles is permissible only in very, very crisis situations. And the Brit's dogs are "heavy" - they bite more painfully, besides, while the detachment of heavy infantry is fighting off the dogs, the adversaries are not asleep.
What if you only have 2 heavy infantry squads? Well, I'm generally like that, for the exchange of experience. I forgot to add that ... they can scrape ...

PS put patch 1.5 on RTW and changed the campaign level to heavy / heavy. became a little more interesting. At least not so quickly the enemy begins to skiddle.

T
Trast Ltd 20.12.20

Well, then it remains to shoot the dogs with archers or onagrams ...
:)))

L
Luavrik 20.12.20

I love using dogs, I have at least 4 units in each army. The enemy comes in orderly ranks, and you let the mad dogs down on him, and that's it, confusion, chaos. Archers (also at least 4 detachments) calmly shoot enemies fighting off the dogs from the rear, and your main troops are GENERALLY untouched. In the worst case, the enemy will get to you very beaten and frightened (by dogs, losses), in the best case, he will generally crumble and run away. Thus, you can win with minimal losses.

During the assault, it's also cool - you break the gates with a ram, let the dogs in and wait. The dogs will drive the enemy away from the gate and you can safely enter. In general, dogs rule.

T
Trast Ltd 20.12.20

Successfully used dogs in the storming of the city.
(like trial and error)

Halicarnassus was stormed recently, which was defended by three detachments of the Egyptians: the general (heavy chariots), the archers of the pharaoh and the onagra. The archers were defeated by cavalry at the gates, while the enemy general and the onager stood in the central square. On the fleeing archers he lowered the dogs. The dogs successfully bitten the retreating dogs and ran to the central square. Oddly enough, the chariots of the Egyptian general remained standing even when they were gnawed by the dogs (and bitten). The calculations of the onagers had some rebuff, but this did not play a special role.
As a result, the enemy has about 800 casualties, I have zero.

During the storming of Pergamum, the situation repeated itself: again onagers and chariots are in the central square. The dog owners led the dogs into the attack, stepped in behind the flags and that's all - their chariots destroyed every single one.

It seems that the dogs must be lowered OUTSIDE the central square so that the animals attack a stationary target.

[
[V_M] _AmonRa 20.12.20

Dogs are no-talk animals! Moreover, it is not possible to attack them normally, the troops run to beat the dog herders =)))

A
Antonio 20.12.20

That's for sure. He attacked the kobaks with his cavalry. He killed almost all dog breeders, several people escaped. The dogs followed my cavalry all over the map then rushed, when the order was given to attack the dogs, the cavalry turned around and went in the direction where the dog breeders fled. The dogs were stopped only by the phalanx.

S
Shakjamuni 20.12.20

I fully agree with the gentlemen moderators. Somehow they let the dogs down on me, so 5-6 people died (there were either triarii or auxiliary), but the dogs were left ... Well, in general, only the owners ... Surely I don't know how to use them, but especially never saw any practical benefit from them.

[
[V_M] _AmonRa 20.12.20

If you play with a computer, then you can still benefit, for example, throw dog breeders under pilums =).

W
Webwish 20.12.20

Why are there no dogs in the RTR ?! This is complete bullshit, when I started playing RTW, I was building a floor of attack on dogs.

J
Julii Cohort 20.12.20

Dogs in RTV are so small, sorry to beat them, they whine. All the same, it is humane, why beat the shaggy, you need not normal owners, they are poisoning. The Romans let huge Mastians into battle, and these were pitiful Rottweilers, and even skinny, without armor. They wrote about mastiffs that they were equipped with special armor.

V
Vladir 20.12.20

dogs rule! Usually there are problems when storming tribal cities with a wooden palisade. usually the enemy constantly hangs out at the walls and gates, waiting for the code, I rush into the openings and treacherously attack until I have time to regroup. and arrows at all lacking (((thus attack turns into a bustle to the court with a flashing white Flaschka Toli matter -.. zapuskaesh Sabak in all the cracks.
and while they were squabbling, and even induce chaos, calmly zavodish its troops out of the gate, regrouping and already quietly pushing the enemy to the square, creating a springboard for other warriors.

in field battles, dogs can also do a good job. Do you know how to fight with dogs? but I know. if you just order to attack the dogs, nothing good except chasing the detachment for, as someone put it, the best sabakov breeders in the country - it will not be crowned. it will not finish the game, not even patched. but you can fight them. you just need to order the attacked squad to stop and wait for them to cut the shaggy ones. Therefore, dogs can be successfully used to delay an enemy detachment, unexpectedly for you, entering the open flanks or rear. The AI ​​uses the same tactics for dealing with dogs. and even if he does not take advantage of it in any case, he will not get anything good, except to scare his own squad. Yes, dogs are very good on the morale of the troops.

lamers !!! don't know how to use dogs ...

[
[V_M] _AmonRa 20.12.20

Ha ha, thanks, amused. Guys, seriously. Let's play. I'm not challenging, I just want to have a look at you :).

S
Semargl 20.12.20

Everything is very simple. Each branch of the military has its own purpose. There are no universal troops. The game requires skillful interaction of the arms of the troops. There are more successful units and less. Dogs, IMHO, quite successful troops. Generals are stupid ;-)
You just need to use the dogs wisely. They are good dogs against enemy shooters, light cavalry (they scare horses, scare them) and they are also good at chasing fleeing enemies. As a last resort, they can be used against light infantry.
Throwing dogs on heavy infantry is not worth it, except to sow panic and then hit with another detachment.
In this case, the dogs will automatically recover for the next fight, the main thing is to save the dog breeders. And their content is cheap.

V
Vladir 20.12.20

2AmonRa
I'd love to. but so far I do not have this game. but wakes up soon. as in the next month. I’ll be training. davanoooo not played already. everything must be worked out to automatism.

2Semarql
dogs can be used on heavy infantry. even to the front of heavy infantry. while they beat the dogs, any other detachment can drive up to their rear. the enemy either wakes up to finish off the dogs and substitute the rear for your troops, or he will go to attack your squad, having already surrounded the rear of the dogs. and dogs attack in the back as well as possible. in any case, the enemy unit will not survive.

moreover. dogs can safely attack the phalanx formation. phalanxes will attack them only if the phalanx formation is removed. and then their cavalry! True, the dogs are small, what a harm they will inflict, but they will wait.

but in general it seems to me that I revealed too many secrets to you ...))))