3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20 12:56 am

Running the game on very weak PCs (Half-Life 2)

I looked through many pages, but I did not find anything like that, so I decided to create a topic, maybe someone will come in handy.
Like some other people, I am a happy owner of a netbook that was created purely for office work, web browsing, etc. And how many here will probably say that it is "not for games", which is actually true.
But somehow I wondered if it was possible on a very weak "car" that something more serious than spider solitaire or sapper solitaire. It turned out that you can.
If you create an autoexec.cfg file from the Half-Life 2 hl2 cfg folder and add to it:
r_3dsky "0"
r_renderoverlayfragment "0"
r_shadows "0"
r_lod "0"
cl_drawshadowtexture "0"
cl_phys_props_enable "0"

cl_allowdownload "0"
cl_show_bloodspray "0"
cl_ejectbrass "0"
fog_enable "0"
fog_enable_water_fog "0"
budget_show_history "0"
r_avglight "0"
r_dispfullradius "2"
r_DispUseStaticMeshes "0"
r_lightaverage "0"
r_lightinterp "0"
r_modellodscale "0.3"
r_rootlod " 2 "
r_shadowmaxrendered" -1 "
r_shadowrendertotexture" 0 "
r_worldlightmin" 1 "
r_worldlights" 1 "
cl_show_splashes" 0 "
mp_decals" 0 "
mat_bufferprimitives" 1 "
mat_bumpbasis "0"
mat_bumpmap "0"
mat_dxlevel "80"
mat_fastnobump "1"
mat_fastspecular "1"
mat_filterlightmaps "1"
mat_filtertextures "1"
mat_forceaniso "0"
mat_forcedynamic "0"
mat_loadtextures "1"
mat_mipmaptextures "1"
mat_numtextureunits "0"
mat_picmip "1"
mat_picmip "-1"
mat_reducefillrate "1"
mat_showwatertextures "0"
mat_specular "0"
r_modellodscale "0.1"
r_drawlights "0"
r_DispUseStaticMeshes "0"
r_waterforceexpensive "0"
r_shadowrendertotexture "0"
r_rootlod "2"
r_drawrain "0"
r_decals "0"
r_dynamic "0"
r_WaterDrawReflection "0"
r_WaterDrawRefraction "0"
violence_hgibs "0"
budget_show_history "0"
then this will allow not only to launch the game itself, but also to play with 20 ~ 30 fps on a quite tolerable picture.
Here is an example of a game on Acer Aspire One D270 with a picture resolution of 1024x600:
Screenshots

Many will probably say that it is pointless to try to play "such" games on such a "bucket", but nevertheless sometimes you want to play something worthwhile, but not having an outlet at hand and gaming PC.
11 Comments
Sort by:
A
Alexandrovitch 23.12.20

Lol! : D I play this part of Halva at maximum and 60 Fps. On lower average hardware, everything flies, not to mention computers 10 years ago. Acer (s) are gallant, sell it to the fool on Avito. And buy yourself a normal iron

M
Madevi 23.12.20

What is the conf of the netbook?
I also wanted to ask if a 12-year-old game can't work normally on a netbook without serious settings, as I remembered that I myself played GTA VC on one netbook 4 years ago with 20 fps.

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

Madevi Perc
Atom n2700 1.6 Hhz, Video Intel GMA 3600 8 MB (unlocked to 64 by modifying the BIOS firmware), 2 GB DDR3 1066 MHz memory.
In general, whoever needs it will understand.

GRiDOX
I like my device, so your advice is useless.

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

Madevi
Regarding 2 questions. For this video adapter, video driver support was dropped (there is no driver for win 8 ~ 10 on the GMA3600 at all), so many of its functions are either not implemented or completely disabled. In the BIOS of the graphics chip there is support for DX10, but at the driver level it is absent at all, so only DX9 works. Therefore, this device simply does not pull out most of the simplest games. But the netbook was bought for work. And now there is simply no normal modern, faster analogue with a price similar to the one described above.
Well, after searching for settings and experimenting with FPS with them, the game in some places rises to 37, which is very good, considering that with the default minimums there were no more than 15 frames, and in some places it was stupid below 10. This made me experiment with the settings.

B
Blood3rn 23.12.20

And I played on the tablet through gltools

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

Blood3rn
Well, a tablet is a completely different matter. The system is different there.

D
DeathW1ng 23.12.20

You can also go through the textures with a massive converter, shrink the size of all images to 32x32 or even 16x16. The truth will not look very good, but 60 fps will be)

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

DeathW1ng
Yes, this is not necessary, since there seems to be enough memory. And the FPS is enough in principle, compared to what it was before.
By the way, with the above settings in the game, you can even set the quality of textures above average, since this does not greatly affect fps. So there is no point in reducing the size of the textures. The number of objects and effects affect the frame rate more.

C
Cvoxalury 23.12.20

DeathW1ng
What you advised is idiocy.

C
Cvoxalury 23.12.20

Sidorovich12
The quality of textures practically does not affect the FPS, the whole difference there comes down to the amount of video memory occupied. But since Source uses streaming of textures, models and sounds used at a particular time, 64 megabytes are enough to load all textures in the frame. Another thing is that in mods, everything is far from always the case.

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

Cvoxalury
Yes, I do not care about mods, the main thing is a clean game with an acceptable frame rate.