3 New Notifications

New Badge Earned
Get 1K upvotes on your post
Life choices of my cat
Earned 210

Drag Images here or Browse from your computer.

Trending Posts
Sorted by Newest First
T
Tomato77777 23.12.20 12:56 am

Do I need to change the thermal paste to the video card

Hello everyone. I want to sell a gtx 650ti, it has been on the shelf for half a year as a spare Used somewhere 2.5 years.

Do I need to change the thermal paste? How many years? And change to the same as on processors?
12 Comments
Sort by:
f
fog666666 23.12.20

yes it is desirable, as a rule, the paste dries out any advice arctic mx2

b
bazilews 23.12.20

fin1977
mx4 is better !!!

S
Sonic268 23.12.20

change to any

f
fog666666 23.12.20

bazilews
well, I don’t know from tests no

K
Kahran ramsus 23.12.20

fin1977
Yes, I don't give a damn about tests, tests and CPT is good, only it turns into flour in six months, and mx 4 was still alive in my beech in 2 years.

f
fog666666 23.12.20

Kahran Ramsus
Well, kpt is not good a little better than a dental one, but mx2 and mx4 are almost the same, but there is one thing but mx4 is thicker and harder to apply on the surface

S
SUSUL1 23.12.20

Here people do not need! He warmed up in MSI and looked at the temperature, it grows to the maximum, it means that the paste is "dry" ... although it was more likely that the case was deformed or the cooler was detached from the chip due to pressing the relative
A fairy tale about drying paste, this is nonsense from marketers. I have never heard that a card dries up in 2 years. The HD3450 itself (from the very year when they came out) is still lying around. In video cards, the paste dries, as a rule, without loss of properties, and the gray substance that it has on the chip is equal in efficiency to the best thermal pastes that are sold on the market

M
MunchkiN 616 23.12.20

you can not change the paste if you have not disassembled the card.
I have never removed the cooling on the reference maps and I do not see that the temperature has changed significantly there in dofig years.

O
Overclock [er] 23.12.20

Sandefend
If it doesn't get too hot , why change it? Sell ​​and that's it. There is nothing special to bask there.

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

Overclock [er]
Yeah. Then he will start to warm up at the buyer, he will take the card in a week and come running to the seller with statements that he was sold a buggy card.
Before selling, no matter how much you used the card, you need to clean it from the heat and be sure to replace the thermal paste with the GPU.

O
Overclock [er] 23.12.20

Sidorovich12
Before the sale, no matter how much you used the card, you need to clean it from the ardor and be sure to replace the thermal paste with the GPU.

Yes you? You bought it means VK, used it for about six months or a year, then decided to sell it. Will you change the thermal paste, thereby possibly losing the warranty on it? I think no more than yes! Also, I will tell you a terrible secret, that thermal interface that is smeared on the chip from the factory is very high quality and will, in general, be better than store thermal pastes. And after 2.5 years of using the card, the only thing that can happen to the paste is that it will dry out, but will not lose its properties as a whole. Therefore, you need to change the thermal paste according to the situation, if the VC is already starting to warm up / overheat and you do not mind the VC warranty, then it is worth changing! If it works fine, then why? All this IMHO of course.

S
Sidorovich12 23.12.20

Overclock [er]
In the overwhelming majority of cases, instead of a normal thermal paste, manufacturers shove a so-called thermal grinder onto the GPU, which, although it lasts longer, its heat transfer is much worse than that of the usual gray thermal paste, which is used for the CPU.
Overclock [er] wrote: the
only thing that can happen to the paste is that it will dry out, but will not lose its properties as a whole.
That's why they change the thermal paste, since it loses its heat transfer properties when it dries. On the fingers of one hand, count the cases when the owners sell video cards after using them for less than a year, which just corresponds to the warranty fate in the vast majority of stores.
Well, since the author of the blog has been using the card for 2 and a half years + it was on the shelf for half a year, then count the card at least 3 years, which naturally suggests itself to replace the thermal paste. I myself update thermal pastes after a year and a half of use on all heated pieces of iron in my PC, not counting the power supply, which has thermal pads that do not dry out for 4 ~ 5 years.
Everyone has their own terms for replacing thermal pastes, depending on the operating conditions of the PC. A year and a half is an average time, and there are users whose PCs are constantly hot, like my mother's, the oven and thermal paste cannot last for a year.